drysuit add-ons worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pee valve is #1 on my list. I have recently gotten a pocket, but haven't used it much.

Dry gloves are really nice for two reasons -- one, they keep your hands warmer, and two, they keep water from seeping up through your wrist seals and reducing the effectiveness of your undergarment. But many dry glove systems are aftermarket additions, and don't need to be ordered with the suit.

In my book any dive that calls for a dry suit calls for dry gloves. My hands chill easily and lose feeling. I think that any loss of dexterity from the dry gloves is more than offset by not having numb hands. Safer too.

Pockets and a p-valve you will use both so much more then you think.

If you are a recreational diver and spent less than a couple of hours at a time underwater, is a pee valve really necessary? I gave up on mine after not needing it on several dives, and I don't make it through the night w/o a pit stop any more. I don't miss having one and I certainly don't miss the attendant hassles , (man trims, hair pulls, OUCH!)

I debated over a pee valve when I ordered my dry suit. I bought from DRIS and spent a long time specing out the order.

I decided to go with the Light Monkey Pee Valve because if is flat and is fool proof to use. Sure the Rochester Wide Bands are one more item to deal with. I have found the comfort and ease are well worth the hassle. It is a personal task and you need to do what works for you. I use mine every time and find the convenience well worth the time involved to suit up.

If you are a recreational diver and spent less than a couple of hours at a time underwater, is a pee valve really necessary? I gave up on mine after not needing it on several dives, and I don't make it through the night w/o a pit stop any more. I don't miss having one and I certainly don't miss the attendant hassles , (man trims, hair pulls, OUCH!)

That's my profile, and I still use it. It allows me to remain hydrated throughout the day, and makes the dive much more comfortable. Subjectively, I believe being well hydrated is keeping me warmer as well. Doing the "potty dance" underwater is distracting! :D

Additionally, for the rare boat dive, REALLY eases the process of surface intervals.

When you near 50 yo it is.

It's not even the "if you use every time" or not, it is the "what a great dive, but damn I need to cut it short cause I had that extra drink...". Also no matter how many socks I wear my feet get that first burst of chill as I walk into the water and that is where the urge comes in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom