Sidemount MSR-like wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiki_bill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What do you guys think of these? 22lbs of lift and CHEAP. image.jpg

Wing with corrugated hose, power inflator, elbow and complete dump assembly, welded urethane bases (LP hose not included). I think he wants $120.

If you want just the wing itself? ...Is $55 too much?

---------- Post added December 10th, 2013 at 07:10 PM ----------

I don't have a link because he doesn't have a website and only had a limited amount made. He sent me a few yesterday so I know it's legit.

damn, that's hard to beat. I just might have to end my search for a DR trim pillow early.

I was looking for a trim pillow before as well. The search is over! There's so many things you can do with it and it packs flatter than my SMB. I took some pictures of it next to my Stealth 2.0 and it's smaller.

While this is a great option and I'm looking forward to getting mine (thanks Bill!), don't give up the trim pillow search just yet. The trim pillow only has 10lbs of lift which is more than enough for 4 AL80s while wearing a 1mm skin (at least for me). This MSR wing does have it's place though. I have a couple of steel 50s that might like a little more lift with a low profile. You can't have enough sidemount rigs if you do a variety of sidemount diving. :D

What's the buoyancy in this MSR-alike?

I find the trim-pillow, I can only take 3x AL80 (3mm wet). Got an MSR for 4x AL80, but generally use my Z-Trim clone for 4+

I purchased the 6-liter MSR bag from Amazon for 34.99. I used hole saw and cut a hole in the cap and installed a fitting, elbow inflator hose from old DiveRite wing. I removed the cap place a wood inside the bag and used for cutting board to carefully cut home of the OPV value. You need to be careful cutting this hole makes sure you get really smooth edges. It also it would be a good idea to reinforce/stiffen this area around the OPV Valve.
We had had a couple leaks from a seam when fully inflated using a scuba tank as an air source. Since them I have cut the spring in the OPV to releases air at little lower pressure and I haven’t had any problems.
I use mine for dives where I have a bottom under me that within no NDLs just in case it fails. I only have used with 2 AL80s and I have found to be plenty of lift and like it better than the DR trim pillow. Build at our own risk since that is not the purpose of these bags.
wing.jpg

What's the buoyancy in this MSR-alike?

I find the trim-pillow, I can only take 3x AL80 (3mm wet). Got an MSR for 4x AL80, but generally use my Z-Trim clone for 4+

How old is the 3mm? I can take 4 AL80s with a 1mm wet in salt water. It's fully inflated when I begin the dive and pretty close to fully deflated at the end.

Back
Top Bottom