What's the best way to buy new kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jw2013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm learning to dive at present and I am lucky enough that my club are providing kit to learn with and will also loan the kit should I need it to dive with after completing my training.

I obviously want to start buying my own kit but I have no idea how to prioritise this? I've bought a new mask, but there are Dive Computers, BCD's, Regs, Dry Suit/Wet Suite, Fins etc.

In your experience, what should I be spending my money on first, what did others do when buying they kit? I appreciate it's personal choice but I was wondering if there was any guidance or advice to point me along the right path.

Thank you!

Be sure to look if your lds has package deals, and if they don't talk with them about it. It saved me allot of money. I also paid the package in 5 terms(every month) to reduce the impact of the amount. Anyway my advice would be talk to the people at the lds.

Jord

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Considering you live in England...

Fins/Gloves/Hood
Computer
Drysuit/Undergarments
Regs
BPW
A good quality torch.

Hi,

I also learned in a club environment and used club equipment when certifying. I first purchased my own mask and fins/boots, and then a dive computer. I have now got a 7mm wetsuit (second hand which I picked up as I was diving for 6 weeks solid over the summer and it was cheaper to buy one than rent it!) and am looking at getting a BCD. Next year I will probably purchase some regs as I would be leaving the club setup (uni diveclub) after that. At some point I will look at getting some weight and I will probably pick up the odd bits and bobs as I go along.

I'm learning to dive at present and I am lucky enough that my club are providing kit to learn with and will also loan the kit should I need it to dive with after completing my training.

I obviously want to start buying my own kit but I have no idea how to prioritise this? I've bought a new mask, but there are Dive Computers, BCD's, Regs, Dry Suit/Wet Suite, Fins etc.

In your experience, what should I be spending my money on first, what did others do when buying they kit? I appreciate it's personal choice but I was wondering if there was any guidance or advice to point me along the right path.

Thank you!

Look for used kit. Check out The Dive Forum. It is a more UK centric forum, so you should find some kit closer to you, for a fraction of the price. If you buy kit used, normally if/once your diving outgrows it, you can sell it on for about what you paid for it. Selling kit you bought new will result in a massive loss. For example, I bought my first drysuit brand new. Just over a year later, I wanted a new drysuit. Nothing wrong with the old one, I just wanted front entry, 2 pockets, a couple of other features. My first drysuit cost me about £600. I sold it for £100. It only had 70 dives on it, still in perfect nick, but it's all i could get for it.

A lot of research and used gear. Search for the classifieds here, and if there is a Craigslist or similar for your area check listings there too. There are a couple of other websites that are good for buying used gear as well.

I would get exposure gear first, wetsuits, hoods, booties, etc.

After that it's entirely up to you. I will say pay attention to what conditions you'll be diving in and buy accordingly. If you need cold water regs, buy sealed regs, etc. If you think a backplate/wing config will suit you better than a vest BC, try some out and buy accordingly.

PM me and I will send you a list I recommend.....

My way worked for me. Buy almost everything used but in good, safe condition. Check out different types/sizes of tanks before buying. Check with your LDS first, then other places. Try stuff on for fit and comfort. Rinse after each dive.

Definately want your own Mask, Snorkel and Fins if you dont own them already. That way at least you can do some snorkeling etc.

I had a chat with the locals at my dive centre and was able to purchase a second hand set of gear that i used in my open and advanced open water coarses.

$750 for an Oceanic BCD, Oceanic Veo 1.0 Combo console (Computer, Compass and SPG) and Oceanic Alpha 9 Reg (1st and 2nd) and Occy. All parts covered with 1 year free replacement with my club and they gave all the gear a service and a clean when i paid for it.

I think thats a great little deal for people like me who are starting out, want a reliable and affordable setup and want something user friendly.

Ask your club about something similar?

my priorities would, in order, be:

mask that fits comfortably
fins, ditto
wetsuit, ditto
BC, ditto'
SPG, compass (cheap is good enough I think)
Reg, any reputable brand should work. Ditto octo.
gloves, hoodie vest

I bought my gear fourteen years ago from my local dive shop. Not the cheapest price, but not that expensive and gave me a good starting relationship with them, since they would arrange most of my initial dive venues and service the gear annually. Basic gear (Scubapro MK2 first stage and R190 primary reg, basic Scubapro BC, used wetsuit from a friend, Oceanic "hockey puck" computer.

This "old" gear still works fine for my unsophisticated recreational diving. If you are going beyond that, or into icy conditions, then that's another story. But for me, the basic "Chevy Malibu, not Cadillac" gear (what's the UK equivalent of that car metaphor? ;-) worked fine, and still does. And buying it at the outset made me go out and dive since I had to make the purchase price "worth it", ha ha. But it worked.

I may be describing more of a philosophy here rather than technical advice, but it has worked for me. Good luck with however you approach this, and listen to all advice--many know much more than me, as a diver I'm just a "working stiff" and not a latest-gear-hound, so that's my viewpoint.

Back
Top Bottom