Getting certified (OW)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asyiklah

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there,

Here in Singapore people usually do their PADI OW certification in nearby dive sites in West Malaysia like Tioman, Redang or Perhentian. But I intend to take the classes and pool session in Singapore and do the OW dives in Derawan, Indonesia. But it's likely that I'm the only person doing my OW dives. So I wanna ask you guys will Dive Instructors teach OW dives if there's only one student?

Thanks.

Last edited:
It depends on how your shop sets up the classes. Some shops won't run a class if there are fewer than a minimum number of students in it. Others will simply charge you the private class fee. Are you inquiring about the Singapore portion of your class, or the open water dives? If you are doing those by referral, you may get lumped in with other divers, so you wouldn't be alone.

Have you arranged your Singapore instruction yet? Please do me a favor and at least talk to the folks at Living Seas before you make a decision. One of their instructors is a ScubaBoard member and someone for whom I have a great deal of respect. If you browse through the threads on classes here, you will see that there can be huge differences in open water classes. Some are well done and others aren't; I know Alan teaches a thorough and responsible class.

Some do, Some don't. I do/would but am no where near Indonesia. Like TSandM stated, you should get in touch with whomever you are interested in finishing the course with beforehand. At that point you can also work out all the logistics you would need to anyway.

Hi asyiklah, you could do the theory and pool sessions in Singapore and then do your Open Water dives with your preferred dive centre in Indonesia. It's called a referral. And yes, some dive centres require a minimum number of students before they run the class. Living Seas (the shop that TSandM recommended, which also happens to be the dive centre I teach for) can start a class for a single diver. When are you looking to do you trip to Indonesia?

Hi guys, thanks a lot for your replies. Thanks for your recommendations on OW classes.

Have you been to Derawan/Maratua/Kakaban/Sangalaki? Do you know whether there's a dive instructor there? Because I'm going to Indonesia soon, I think I can't complete a full OW class (theory, pool and dives) in Singapore. I think I only have time for theory and pool sessions. Hence I plan to do the dives in Derawan islands. But problem is, I'm not sure if there's a dive instructor who can certify me in Derawan. I called a dive guide in Derawan (he's not a dive instructor) who claims that if I've completed theory & pool sessions (and have a referral letter) he can certify my OW. But if I'm completely new, he can't , cos he's not an instructor. Is this correct?

So, worst case, there's no dive instructor there, and I have to do OW dives in a dive site near Singapore after I'm back in Singapore.

Alan, I've dropped you a PM.

No, no one can certify you unless they are an instructor. There is no "limited" instructorship, where someone can do the open water dives but not the classroom work -- if you think about it, that wouldn't make much sense, would it? The diving is the part where you need the very best instructor training!

Back
Top Bottom