Brownie Third Lung - direct experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan

Contributor
Reaction score
We are looking for a means to dive from our sailboat in the more remote regions of the Bahamas where fills are unavailable or impractical. We are considering the Brownie system and would appreciate any input based on direct experience.
we are qualified and reasonably experienced divers who like fossicking about in shallow water so it feels like a good fit but it is hard to find independent reviews.

Thanks for any input.

Graham

You going electric, gas, floating?

Gas floating. We don't have 110v to charge the electric version. I suspect normal use will be sitting in the anchored inflatable. Have you used one?

Graham

Can't help you there. I've had an electric one for 15 years or so and still works like a charm. Actually, they haven't changed that much in 15 years. I know lots of people who clean boats for a living and the ones that use this system either use an electric compressor or scuba tank on the dock, with the 40+/- poly hose & reg that all of the Brownie systems use.

Before I brought another gasoline device onto my sailboat (got one, too, and do carry gasoline for the outboard) I would try a snorkel for most of the bottom and a scuba tank (with the 40' poly hose & reg) for the keel & replacing zincs, etc. One or two Al 80s would last a long time if used sparingly.

The only issue I have with the gas version is that the fuel tank is too small. The one I used would only run for about an hour and a half. It is also not a great tool for supplying air to more than two divers, at least not past 30'.

Thanks W,
This is for recreation as well as boat stuff so an 80 will not last too long so we would be back to an onboard compressor or finding dive shops. The experience with the electric one is reassuring.

Graham

Can't help you there. I've had an electric one for 15 years or so and still works like a charm. Actually, they haven't changed that much in 15 years. I know lots of people who clean boats for a living and the ones that use this system either use an electric compressor or scuba tank on the dock, with the 40+/- poly hose & reg that all of the Brownie systems use.

Before I brought another gasoline device onto my sailboat (got one, too, and do carry gasoline for the outboard) I would try a snorkel for most of the bottom and a scuba tank (with the 40' poly hose & reg) for the keel & replacing zincs, etc. One or two Al 80s would last a long time if used sparingly.

---------- Post added December 8th, 2013 at 04:48 PM ----------

Yep, that is a bit skinny. The marketing states three hours. We are only going to have two divers max so that should work fine.

Thanks

Graham

The only issue I have with the gas version is that the fuel tank is too small. The one I used would only run for about an hour and a half. It is also not a great tool for supplying air to more than two divers, at least not past 30'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom