What gear malfunctions have you ever had?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

>Before switching to a BP/W an integrated weight sleeve fell out
>Broken fin straps
>Several free-flows from primary second stage while cold water diving (35 degree) - ALWAYS carry a redundant supply.
>Drysuit seal leaking
>Tearing hole in drysuit glove
>Forgetting to zipper the last 3" of my drysuit zipper

I have had a double light failure on a liveaboard night dive ( a mystery to this date, as batteries good and interior was dry on exit. May have dislodged batter on entry which was a 4 foot drop giant stride. Have had a leaky mask to the point of constant clearing, again probable skirt crack on entry- was fine earlier in the week. Finished the dive, then changed masks. Flooded two cameras in my life. The first was a Sea and Sea MX10 film camera- I caught the battery "ribbon" on the o ring, and destroyed the seal. Also flooded a Sea Life 800 ( good thing because now I have a 1400) due to sand grit on the o ring I did not clean adequately. So the cameras were operator error, not equipment malfunction. Worst experience was losing the neck seal during a dive with a Mares 6.5 mil semi dry suit years ago on a dive in 48F water. I got real wet, real cold, shivered for hours after the dive. Had done two dives earlier in the day without any problem. So my mishaps have been pretty tame, some costly, and mostly my fault.
DivemasterDennis

Ignoring my self inflicted issues...

Flooded computer (after I changed the battery)
Second stage failed to deliver air (after service, caught on pre-dive check)
Second stage free-flowed intermittently (too many travel dives with poor cleaning procedures)
Slow leak on HP fitting (o-ring)
Leak on spool for SPG (not critical)
Flooded light (2X, plastic piece of cr@p)
Weight pocked broken & dropped
Weight pocked dropped, unknown reason
Lost shears (not clipped off)
Broken compass (too aggressive chasing a bug)

A long time ago, before octos were standard, had a the mouth-piece separate from the reg and ended up with a mouth full of salt water.
Had a reg free flow at a cold 95 FFW and drained the tank in 3 minutes.

Corrugated BCD hose came apart! :(

I had a dive light flood on me during a night dive. Switched to my backup.
I've had the air pressure transmitter on my galileo computer lose connection with the computer several times. Just wait a few seconds and it reconnects.
BC Power inflator got stuck "on". Fortunately it was in the pool (I always check my gear in the pool a day before a dive trip). Replaced it.
Scubapro S600 reg breathing hard and wheezing at depths over 60' only. Turned out the tech who converted it from yoke to din broke something inside and the broken piece was replaced under warranty (by a different shop).
On one of my early dives, I bit the mouthpiece off my regulator. Switched to backup for the remainder of the dive. I guess that's more of a diver failure than an equipment failure.
Flooded gopro housing due to defect in the housing. Gopro sent me a new one, camera works fine still. Thankfully it was fresh water.

Major failures:

Lens fell out of mask on entry to shore dive. Dive scrubbed.
Freeflow at 35 feet following air-share drill (probably first stage freeze)
Freeflow in the surf after falling on exit at Monastery (Sand in second stage)
Multiple dry suit floods for various reasons, mostly related to seals.

Minor failures:

Uncountable failures of canister lights due to broken wires or Anderson connectors.
Slow leaks through dry suit and wing inflators (repaired at the end of the dive)
Multiple hose leaks discovered during bubble checks.
Multiple back leaks through p-valves, check valves, or She-P failures.
Multiple dry glove leaks and pop-offs.
Dry suit zipper failure (I call this minor because if it had happened at home, I would have aborted the dive; it happened in 75 degree water, and it took me 2 days to figure out why I was getting wet)

Can I count all the problems we've had with the boat?

So far been lucky
Had one freeflow in tobermory 39f 104ft buddy was too far to reach so did emergency ascent was down 7 mins so had enough air to surface safely
Need second stage set but now wonder if that could free flow also while switching over due to n9t using then using at that depth under those conditions I was also told by a tech that if I tried to share air with my partner the load may have caused his to freeflow also due to crystallizing In the reg

Major failures:

Multiple dry suit floods for various reasons, mostly related to seals.

Minor failures:

Slow leaks through dry suit and wing inflators (repaired at the end of the dive)

Dry suit zipper failure (I call this minor because if it had happened at home, I would have aborted the dive; it happened in 75 degree water, and it took me 2 days to figure out why I was getting wet)

Was it one of your Whites Fusion drysuits?

Expanding the scope a bit to getting to/from the dive:

Tire blow out on the drive to---sounded like a jet flying by.

Hit ice on a bridge driving to, back of truck tried to pass the front. Engaged clutch to freewheel and all was well.

Dive boat got water in the diesel and engine conked out heading to a NC wreck. Coast Guard towed us back in high seas---fun, fun, fun.

Trying to get home after a NC wreck dive one 4th of July weekend. Car wouldn't start & AAA wouldn't answer the phone! I was proud of myself for isolating the fault to the fuel pump. Then a friend, former Navy hydraulics tech, opened the sealed pump and repaired it with spare screws in my tool box!

Back
Top Bottom