New to Diving: Diving gear help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

used to rent the bcd. always the jacket type. when i first tried a friend's backplate i was sold.

if anything, i found the backplate type to be easier to use to be neutrally buoyant.
being able to adjust the webbing of the plate is another plus for it. instead of the one size fits all jacket type.
it's also more compact for traveling.

if for some reason the wing breaks or tears, no need to replace the whole bcd set.

just my 2 cents.

I have never been disappointed with Scubapro gear. I've been diving with that brand for 10 years. I slowly pieced my gear together when I was a new diver. As others have stated, a good regulator and computer are essential. You can rent gear until but get your own wetsuit.

Nope!

Just like the any new BCD, it just take some practice to familiarize yourself.

It has a lot of advantage as well.

hi everyone,

thanks for the helpful tips you have shared. upon assessing all your inputs and to mention Karl_H's dive guide i decided to buy a regulator set. I'm leaning on Apeks XTX50 1st and 2nd (do not know whether DST or DS4), Apeks XTX20 octopus and Termo gauge combo (pressure and depth). Aquaventure whitetip gave me an a reasonable offer. i was thinking of scubapro mk25/s600 but the price is way beyond my budget. Hog brand i think is cheaper but i do not know where to get them.

my next project would be my BCD. i'm confused whether to buy a backplate system or the jacket type as i have not yet mastered my buoyancy.

is it really hard to use the backplate? i am no good swimmer...:)

thanks guys...

DSC_0264.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0265.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

hi guys,

thank you for your sharing your opinions...

my toys has just arrived. After reading a lot of reviews and the availability in the market i come up with this one. i decided to buy Apeks XTX50 DST and XTX20 octo with termo console. it's a bit pricey but i think it's worth my money. I got them from Aquaventure whitetip in Manila. i love the finish and i can't wait to get them in the water.

i guess for my bcd i'll go for the bp/w. someone offered me a cheaper backplate and wing type bcd. but i'm still hesitant with the bp/w because i am really no good in swimming that sometimes makes me go research again for a cheap and durable jacket type bcd.

here's my list of choices for jacket type:

1. Seac Ego - it says durable bcd with 1000 D Cordura outer and 840 D Nylon inner, 4 stainless steel d-rings, pockets durable enough to hold weights, velcro pockets, weighs 3200 grams for medium. Php11,200

2. Aquatec Sunny - 1000 D cordura/pu bonded inside, pockets 1680, 840 Denier nylon,4 plastic d-rings, internal bladderless (what is this???), velcro pockets, covered inflator with LP hose, can be used for 2 tank diving, the backplate of the bcd can be removed and used as an independent backpack acting as harness for diving without the bladder??? Php8,500

3. Tusa Passage bcj1650 (2007 released) - 420 Denier nylon, travel bcd, 4 plastic d-rings, large zipper pockets, weighs 2400 grams for medium size. Php7,500

questions:

1. if i am not to choose the bp/w bcd, which would be the best jacket type bcd from my list?
2. aside from these choices, am i missing something that is much cheaper and offers same features from my list?

thanks guys and hope to hear from you again...

have a happy and safe diving.

1. You have make a very choice on Apeks. Must have eaten a big chunk of your P20,000.00 budget.
2. If you really prefer a jacket bc then select the most basic entry level model. But do avoid anything labelled lite/travel etc, they don't last. Feel the fabric.
3. BP/W is probably better for the long term.

and for the backplate and wing bcd here's what they offer me for Php18.5K from a local dive shop... i emailed HOG for their bp/w and it will cost me 24K with shipping from taiwan. oxycheq mach v costs 28K discounted price. is orca bp/w a good buy for me?

1464786_10201472995402834_1703278087_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1481891_10201472995362833_681155129_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

@centrals, i was not expecting that it would double my initial budget. i really thought i could get these gears at around 30K. its really hard for me to test the items that i want because of no access to local dive shops in my city.

1. Get a SIMPLE one piece harness. The quick release buckles are useless.
2. You only need one D-ring on each side of the chest.
3. Single tank adapter(STA) is not necessary if the wing and BP match up. And I don't see why you need one in that set-up!
4. Buying scuba gear in Philippines is very expensive.

Happy shopping

another thing is that i would not be able to test this because i'll be shipping it from northern part of the country (i'm from the south most part)..one problem would be the proper fitting.

@centrals the lds sells the package as is in the picture. so it doesn't matter if i need it or not i get to pay it. by the way, this is the cheapest bp/w that our local dive shop offers. i don't know if karl_h would give me a better deal.

please help me identify which part is the single tank adapter and why is it not necessary if the wing and BP (what is BP?) matches?

yes, not only scuba but other hobby items because we have 300% taxes on everything..hehehe

another thing is that i would not be able to test this because i'll be shipping it from northern part of the country (i'm from the south most part)..one problem would be the proper fitting.

@centrals the lds sells the package as is in the picture. so it doesn't matter if i need it or not i get to pay it. by the way, this is the cheapest bp/w that our local dive shop offers. i don't know if karl_h would give me a better deal.

please help me identify which part is the single tank adapter and why is it not necessary if the wing and BP (what is BP?) matches?

yes, not only scuba but other hobby items because we have 300% taxes on everything..hehehe

If you use a simple 1-piece harness as suggested, you can adjust it to fit you perfectly. That kind of harness in the picture is also supposed to fit all sizes but I've tried it and its not as comfortable. Here in Manila I know of a shop where you can get the parts separately, but the price difference may not be worth the cost of having to bring it to the south.

STA is the metal part on your 2nd pic where the tank bands are attached. Its purpose is to provide a stable seat for the tank. Some wings have some sort of portrusions or pads to stabilize the tank, like a built in STA, I'm just not sure if this ORCA model is such (I think not). In many situations the additional weight provided by a stainless steel STA may also be useful.

@ matthew - thank you sir. do you have the contact number of the shop? i asked raymond d. of dvy.us and i think he's in manila, to set-up a rig for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom