Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a fantastic dive with jimw and MrChen tonight. Thanks for letting me tag along! Thankfully that boat didn't hit us even though it seemed like they tried!

Vis was better than this morning 25+? and temp was still 79.

We saw 3 bobbit worms! I didn't get any good shots of them though.

Pics:

jpeg-1643.jpg jpeg-1602.jpg jpeg-1624.jpg jpeg-1630.jpg

jpeg-1637.jpg jpeg-1578.jpg jpeg-1601.jpg

Very nice pictures Tim--great encounter with Bobbit Worms AND none of us are damaged!!:cool2:

MrChen is busily prepping to go see his hometown Chargers play the Dolphins--someone must stop him--BLOCK I-95!:D

We saw 3 bobbits, 2 were fully out on the boulevard! First time for me to see one. Those 2 were around 12 inches long. We also saw lots of a translucent shrimp out and quickly burying themselves when a light beam hit'em. Lots of little red eyeshine when I looked away from the lighted area. Waay nice dive! Nice little batfish and a 9arm needing a shortarm inspection!:dork2:

Attachments

• IMG_4541.jpg
    IMG_4541.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4530.jpg
    IMG_4530.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4535.jpg
    IMG_4535.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4536.jpg
    IMG_4536.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Hi,

Dove BHB last night and saw an unusual critter. I'm curious if anyone here knows what it is. It was swimming mid water like a jelly fish, glass clear, about 1/2 the thickness of a pencil, ~8-10" long, and had two glowing eyes. There was a thin clear hair-like protrusion that grew from the top front region of it's body, following the top body contour back for several inches towards the tail. It was worm/eel/snake-like, but seemed curious and more intelligent than a worm. It was attracted to my light.

Also saw a cute seahorse and some beautiful eagle rays. It was a nice night for a bridge dive :).

Thanks!

Last edited:
We saw 3 bobbits, 2 were fully out on the boulevard! First time for me to see one. Those 2 were around 12 inches long.

Jim,

Nice shots! That "Bobbit worm" is a "Tiger Tail" if I am not mistaken. Related to a sea cucumber.

The one I tried pointing out that kept hiding back in his hole was a bobbit.

---------- Post added November 17th, 2013 at 12:47 PM ----------

Where did you see the seahorse?

The seahorses are all spread over, you just kind of have to keep an eye out and stumble across them.

Joy-s: there have been a lot of rumors of us trolls posting where to find certain critters only to have them disappear shortly afterwards. We fear some collectors monitor this thread. The best way to find the seahorses, and other critters, is to buddy up with somebody who is willing to show you. Once you have dived the bridge a few times, and people get to know you that you can keep a secret, word will get out that you can be trusted. Sorry I can't be of more help for specifics.
For general ideas, look at what is in the photos for ideas on where to find them.

The saddest part is that if people are collecting seahorses, the mortality rate is very high. :( Better to leave them alone so all can enjoy.

Jim,

Nice shots! That "Bobbit worm" is a "Tiger Tail" if I am not mistaken. Related to a sea cucumber.

The one I tried pointing out that kept hiding back in his hole was a bobbit.

---------- Post added November 17th, 2013 at 12:47 PM ----------

The seahorses are all spread over, you just kind of have to keep an eye out and stumble across them.

I looked at the bible--Reef Creature ID--and although I think it's not a tigertail, it IS the next picture down from it in my old 1st edition; a Beaded Sea Cucumber. btw, a new edition is just out and I need to get a copy right away! Christmas hint Divediva!

The last night dive I did there were collectors. I saw them with 2 plastic nets & at first thought/hoped they were after lionfish. However, 2 friends on shore said they were collecting for their aquarium. They were asked to return said speciums but refused. Further stating one was a marine biologist. Sorry That is a lame excuse for decreasing the magnificence of BHB. As Jenny stated many won't survive esp seahorses & esp if their mate is left behind. That is why sadly I don't share locations except to those I know. If you think it doesn't make a difference removing an animal where there are many others like it please think of that poem about the starfish. "It made a difference to that one".

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom