Typhoon Yolanda - Impact on Malapascua Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned from Malapascua. The roads, with a little navigation, are open but communication remains down.
Getting a Banka at Maya was somewhat challenging (many destroyed/damaged). The people on the Island are suffering and in need of basic necessities: food, water, wood for construction.

Dive shops are seriously damaged, some even destroyed. Exotic is limping along and at the
time of typing the only one functioning. What hit me hard was the desperate plea of children in N. Cebu.
They stand on the roadside pleading for food/water. We did what we could to help.

My question is: "Where is the Filipino Government?" I saw ONE water truck followed by a TV crew! Corruption is rampant and no doubt some even profiting from the devastation.

The dive shops are rallying even if the government is not. We must do what we can!

finbob - it is sad that the government is acting slowly on this disaster. For donations and relief, I would suggest that you donate to other teams like Red Cross, ABS-CBN, GMA News and other agency or dive center, in order to make sure that your donations will be allocated/reach the much needed.

Just returned from Malapascua. The roads, with a little navigation, are open but communication remains down.
Getting a Banka at Maya was somewhat challenging (many destroyed/damaged). The people on the Island are suffering and in need of basic necessities: food, water, wood for construction.

Dive shops are seriously damaged, some even destroyed. Exotic is limping along and at the
time of typing the only one functioning. What hit me hard was the desperate plea of children in N. Cebu.
They stand on the roadside pleading for food/water. We did what we could to help.

My question is: "Where is the Filipino Government?" I saw ONE water truck followed by a TV crew! Corruption is rampant and no doubt some even profiting from the devastation.

The dive shops are rallying even if the government is not. We must do what we can!

Yes, the government is there and working. Our tried and tested disaster/relief agencies, which did not even have a break from the Bohol earthquake relief operations, have geared for action even before the typhoon hit. But it seems manpower and resources are now spread too thin because of the magnitude of devastation. And the local governments cannot function fully because they are also victims. International aid is starting to come in, a much welcome development.

Thank you very much for your support. I love malapascua as much as you do. But please do away with the negative comments.:)

Philippines Typhoon Haiyan: Bodies piled in streets as makeshift mortuaries are overrun | Mail Online

---------- Post added November 13th, 2013 at 05:08 PM ----------

finbob - it is sad that the government is acting slowly on this disaster. For donations and relief, I would suggest that you donate to other teams like Red Cross, ABS-CBN, GMA News and other agency or dive center, in order to make sure that your donations will be allocated/reach the much needed.

Everything has been slow, because transportation and communication is still paralyzed, non-existent in some places. Yup it may be good to donate through the said teams, if only to ease the burden on the other agencies.

---------- Post added November 13th, 2013 at 05:55 PM ----------

UN spokesman defends PH response to Yolanda - Solar News

IMO, the execution is slow and transport system is not issue.

Anyway, let's focus/help to provide aid to our fellowmen, our team have already made 3rd batch of relief goods to Red Cross this morning.

Everything has been slow, because transportation and communication is still paralyzed, non-existent in some places. Yup it may be good to donate through the said teams, if only to ease the burden on the other agencies.

The P. Siren will leave Mactan shortly with supplies of food, water & clothing for those affected on Malapascua Island. Road transportation is still slow so we hope that this will make life a little easier for those on the island.

We also plan to transport doctors of the MSF & medical supplies to Leyte before our trips begin in late December.

Thanks to all who show their support for the Philippines,
best wishes from the Siren Fleet

Malapascua really is a mess. But there is a will to rebuild and rehabilitate. Evolution is striving (against the odds) to reopen as soon as we can on some level. Our dive shop is intact as are 75% of our rooms and two dive boats. Sadly The Craic house is no more but we will try and re build. Many other resorts are also determined to rebuild. Of about 15 restaurants on the island only two remain. Of dozens of dive boats on the island about 5 remain. There will be no power for months on the island. Every single business on the island is damaged and currently everything bar one or two are closed.

But this is a divers forum and what Malapascua needs most is divers. Plan your holiday for next year. Inject the local economy with desperately needed income and help secure jobs. If people walk away from Malapascua then the typhoon really did kill us. If not of course we can prevail.

It will take some time to make Evolution the same but we will and all our staff are with us in this. Craic house SMALL.jpgBoats SMALL.jpgLocal Houses SMALL.jpg

I am not planning a trip to Malapascua in 2014 , I am planning two ! What you guys in the dive shops are doing is just amazing , it must be heartbreaking to see what you have built up over the years being devastated in a few hours. The main thing is that nobody was harmed on Malapascua.

Very best wishes xxx

Mucksavage, Thanks for the update.

Agreed! Divers need to support the Philippines. We have a group going next year.

Back
Top Bottom