Is "flipper" really the wrong word?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol I was scrolling through the forum and saw a post I didn't make, when I opened it, I saw ow I did make it.

Diving with my local lds we have a fun rule. Saying flipper, oxygen or leaving a tank standing up. Would result in you making the other divers some delicious apple pie.

Jord

Guys get your oxygen,flippers and goggles today. We are going diving!

Ps: Don't forget your breathe thingy

Jord

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

note: This thread was split off from another.

certain terms such as fins vs flippers i don't care since they can be used interchangeably, but oxygen vs air/nitrox, no.. since refers to specific mixes. same with dive mask -- since a dive mask by definition includes space for the nose - goggles are eyes only and don't allow for equalization of the space.

breathe thingy? too vague :) do you mean snorkel? regulator? hookah? medicinal weed apparatus? although not sure how the last one would work under the water.

but i guess as long as you and whomever you are inviting to dive knows what you are talking about... whatever right?

English isn't my first language, so maybe one of the people who think that "flippers" is wrong, can explain what the difference between a flipper and a fin is? :idk:

certain terms such as fins vs flippers i don't care since they can be used interchangeably, but oxygen vs air/nitrox, no.. since refers to specific mixes. same with dive mask -- since a dive mask by definition includes space for the nose - goggles are eyes only and don't allow for equalization of the space.

breathe thingy? too vague :) do you mean snorkel? regulator? hookah? medicinal weed apparatus? although not sure how the last one would work under the water.

but i guess as long as you and whomever you are inviting to dive knows what you are talking about... whatever right?

Just to make clear. I posted this on another thread, about cave diving being number 2 of the most dangerous sports. (May I inform you that cheerleading was I believe number 8) Anyway the article said that cave diving with only two oxygen tanks strapped on your back is dangerous. (It is)
Therefore I had to make a sarcastic reaction.

Jord

English isn't my first language, so maybe one of the people who think that "flippers" is wrong, can explain what the difference between a flipper and a fin is? :idk:

If you are a seal feel free to say flippers, but the you shouldn't be on a scuba forum.

Jord

CRAP! I got a bad pair. They both say L. No wonder I've been swimming in circles.

Hay can we do some kind of trade? Mine are both R :D

Back
Top Bottom