gear for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little off topic but I saw a documentary once where they tested the level of germs and bacteria at several locations including public toilets and by far the most germs were found on dining tables in food courts.

There is a microbiologist a hear every once and a while on the radio. He did cultures from the seats of a movie theater and found high levels of fecal bacteria. The announcer asked him where does it come from and he said largely flatulence. So you go to the theater, push the seat down get the germs on your hands and bury your hands in the popcorn bucket eating them.

65F. Doesn't require drysuit. Maybe misread it as 55F which is getting into drysuit country. 5mm or some combo as described would be OK for 60 ish water...worked for me today @ 62F. As he said on all else..you want you own mask booties fins and best regulator you can afford.

Hi, So you cannot give one reference or refute what I said? You need to resort to personal insults? Why don't you dive under the rock you came from and please refrain from giving newbie divers your bad advice.

I especially liked your advice in the other thread about side venting regulators when all you want is a wider exhaust T and then recommending a regulator that is out-of-production for about a decade that you only saw on a dive boat and on a German webpage because it has a wide exhaust T.

Some people want to enjoy diving but are not wealthy so they buy used gear or rent gear. There is nothing wrong with it and you are doing them a disservice by spreading old wives tales based on superstition not fact.

Greetings! Now, where shall I start?

Hmmmm....Seems like a good place to begin is by suggesting that you refrain from using sexist terms such as "old wives tales" (improperly punctuated).

Secondly, I wonder what data you have that indicates divers do not contract diseases when using rental gear. Has the AMA or WHO done such a study?

Thirdly, the note I wrote about Sherwood regs was a lament that they no longer made side venting Oasis regs. Of course, since you are a fan of purchasing used gear, it should have been a delight to you since you could now begin your search for a vintage Sherwood Oasis. I have four of them in perfect nick, but, sadly, none are for sale. Keep looking.

Fourthly, I am a doctor--at least that is the title conferred upon me by "PRAESES ET SOCII, UNIVERSITATIS YALENSIS" (Yale diplomas were done in Latin at the time of my graduation.).

Fifthly, I am sorry my sense of humor was lost on you: I'm told it grows on one with time---sorta like bacteria. Hang in there: you'll get it.

Sixthly, I did note, in my original comments that "...I will be pilloried and drummed from the Board for making such outrageous suggestions...". Aren't you impressed with my ability to predict the future? My stockbroker is!

And, finally, I have some experience with the way dive ops cleanse their gear apres diving. Most give regs, wetsuits, fins, etc. a post-dive dunk in fresh water and hang them to dry overnight.

joewr

---------- Post added November 9th, 2013 at 07:46 AM ----------

65F. Doesn't require drysuit. Maybe misread it as 55F which is getting into drysuit country. 5mm or some combo as described would be OK for 60 ish water...worked for me today @ 62F. As he said on all else..you want you own mask booties fins and best regulator you can afford.

Hey, Fellow Californian,

When you get into your 70's--like me--dry suit country is anything below 70 deg F! In fact, I dive 80 deg F water in a 5mm. Ah, the ravages of age. I remember doing 75 deg F dives in a 3mm and being toasty warm. Sic transit gloria.....

joewr

i am looking for a good set of regulators that won't break the bank. only need the first stage and one second stage as i plan on running an air2 or similar for my backup.

I suggest you wait. Your sentence says it all. You seek a "good" set of regulators. Yet, you have no real idea of the definition of good in relation to a regulator or what factors my differentiate good from bad. Frankly, all regulators today or good. Some or just gooder (preferred) than others at specific types of diving.

What types of diving do you see yourself doing?

If it s pretty fish vacation diving in warm, pretty places, packability, small size, simple and durable (and serviceable) trumps fancy and super performance in cold water for example. But if you plan cold water dives then that will trump portability. Or purchase two sets. Or three, or four or five. And that is how I cam to own, uh, something close to 50 or 60 regulators over 40 plus years of SCUBA diving.

Or, just go buy a AL Titan XL set or a SP G260 set with Mark 17 and be done with it.

N

I suggest you wait. Your sentence says it all. You seek a "good" set of regulators. Yet, you have no real idea of the definition of good in relation to a regulator or what factors my differentiate good from bad. Frankly, all regulators today or good. Some or just gooder (preferred) than others at specific types of diving.

What types of diving do you see yourself doing?

If it s pretty fish vacation diving in warm, pretty places, packability, small size, simple and durable (and serviceable) trumps fancy and super performance in cold water for example. But if you plan cold water dives then that will trump portability. Or purchase two sets. Or three, or four or five. And that is how I cam to own, uh, something close to 50 or 60 regulators over 40 plus years of SCUBA diving.

Or, just go buy a AL Titan XL set or a SP G260 set with Mark 17 and be done with it.

N

Hi, N!

Betwixt the two of us,we could open a dive shop. I don't have nearly as many regs as you: fins, booties, wet suits, and, especially, masks are my specialties. Oh, yes, a fair number of snorkles seems to have found their ways into my "Ancient Gear Locker". But the grandchildren are draining that supply...

joewr

Last edited:
since i have some time i would like to begin acquiring my own gear....until i know how much i will actually use it.
I wouldn't until you get certified. Sometimes it doesn't happen. Medical or other reasons. My classic story is a pair in our class - both purchased $2500 worth of gear prior to cert dives. Used it in the pool and one one trip to SoCal. She made it, he didn't (her kid). The LDS offered them $1500 back for his gear a week later - used is used.

Plan on spending $100+ to services all the stages/gauges of any used set you buy. Sometimes that makes it more attractive to buy new from someone like Scubatoys - http://scubatoys.com/ - who offer full mfr's. warranties on everything they sell. If you are going to dive locally, you may want a reg that can take be sealed with an enviro kit - both for colder water and silt. Not all can - although most of the better ones will.

How close are you to Vail? Beaverdivers (Casey) here has some good deals on new/used ScubaPro gear periodically. Like this one: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hot-deals/469563-scubapro-subgear-fall-sale-20-40%-off.html

Hi there,

My advice would be similar to many of the posts above with regards to using rental equipment for a while so you can try out different configurations and work out what's right for you. Its awesome that you are so enthusiastic that you're committing to equipment purchases already, and I'm sure you have many years of pleasurable diving ahead of you. Scuba board is full of knowledgeable folk who can give you good recommendations, but there is simply no substitute for getting out there and trying different gear for yourself - some retails stores even do 'try before you buy' on some equipment.

In my experience the biggest mistake people make with first time equipment purchases is not doing their research - remember most scuba stores only sell a selected few brands, so make sure you check out as many stores as possible to ensure you a fully informed on all options. Settling for something that's not exactly what you want as it saves a few dollars is also a no no. This will result in less enjoyable diving and probably more purchases which otherwise could have been avoided. Buy cheap = buy twice! Get the best gear you can afford and I'm sure you'l have no regrets.

Good luck and happy diving :)

---------- Post added November 10th, 2013 at 11:48 AM ----------

As far as hygiene goes please give us the references for all the diseases caught by divers using rental or used gear. You can sterilize a regulator mouthpiece with an alcohol wipe if you want to. Same with a mask. Also do you use the rinse tank on the boat or on shore? If so you have everyone's germs on your items. As far as the wetsuit goes you need to be foolish to wear one with a strong urine odor. If buying used then just soak it in the tub with some Lysol and laundry detergent. You can also use some fabric softener if you want to give it a "spring fresh" scent.

I am not a doctor but germs are everywhere. Your cell phone, keyboard, money, and toothbrush are probably far more dangerous than a used wetsuit.

With regards to the hygiene issue, its really very simple. If the dive centre's equipment looks so scummy that you don't want to use their rental gear, then you really need to find a better dive centre! Its probably a reflection on how the business is run on the whole.

Hi there,

My advice would be similar to many of the posts above with regards to using rental equipment for a while so you can try out different configurations and work out what's right for you. Its awesome that you are so enthusiastic that you're committing to equipment purchases already, and I'm sure you have many years of pleasurable diving ahead of you. Scuba board is full of knowledgeable folk who can give you good recommendations, but there is simply no substitute for getting out there and trying different gear for yourself - some retails stores even do 'try before you buy' on some equipment.

In my experience the biggest mistake people make with first time equipment purchases is not doing their research - remember most scuba stores only sell a selected few brands, so make sure you check out as many stores as possible to ensure you a fully informed on all options. Settling for something that's not exactly what you want as it saves a few dollars is also a no no. This will result in less enjoyable diving and probably more purchases which otherwise could have been avoided. Buy cheap = buy twice! Get the best gear you can afford and I'm sure you'l have no regrets.

Good luck and happy diving :)

---------- Post added November 10th, 2013 at 11:48 AM ----------

With regards to the hygiene issue, its really very simple. If the dive centre's equipment looks so scummy that you don't want to use their rental gear, then you really need to find a better dive centre! Its probably a reflection on how the business is run on the whole.

Hi,

Okay, here goes the "beating the dead horse" routine....

In my youth I discovered a hero who continues to this day to be a hero. Perhaps you have heard of him: Albert Einstein. He had this wonderful notion of creating what he called "Gedanken Experiments". This delightful mixing of German and English was used to described a technique in which he created a mental experiment that could test an issue without having to do the actual experiment--remember Einstein was a Theoretical Physicist and probably took no joy in smudging his hands in the lab.

So, let me suggest a couple of Gedanken Experiments for you with regard to hygiene:

(1) Reg mouthpiece related---consider whether you would like to brush your teeth with a toothbrush used by a stranger and merely rinsed off using a bucket of "fresh water" that also was used to soak 5 other toothbrushes used by strangers.

(2) Wetsuit related---consider being asked to wear some underwear that had been worn by a stranger--maybe many strangers--that had only been rinsed off in a tank of "fresh water" that had been used to rinse off lots of other underwear.

'nough said...

joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom