Scubapro MK25/S600 VS Sherwood Blizzard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the conditions you describe I would go with an MK17 instead of MK25. MK25 will be finicky when it comes to diving with freezing surface conditions and will require extra care. Another alternative for me would be an Apeks XTX50.
I was never fond of Sherwoods. They are less expensive and bulletproof breath worse IMHO. SP or Apeks will have a better resale value too.
Aqualung is a great option too. You might want to check them out. They own Apeks and you can likely find them in the same place you find Apeks.

"less bulletproof"? Our 4 Sherwood Oases have been in constant service since 2000. I think each has over 1000 dives to its credit. I guess I consider that fairly bulletproof...

I never sell old equipment or buy used equipment; hence, I may not be sufficiently aware of resale value. Our old equipment is retired gracefully and, occasionally, provides nice memories: "Remember the time in the Bahamas when we ascended through a school of jelly fish in these shorties?????"

joewr

---------- Post added November 7th, 2013 at 08:24 PM ----------

joewr: Apeks side vent feature? Sorry you've lost me.

Yes, both XTX versions have the option to use either a wide or narrow exhaust. I use the wide exhaust on my primary and narrow on backup. The 50, 100 and 200 usually come with both, the 20 and 40 usually only come with the narrow but you can buy the wide as a separate item.

Hi,

Please see my earlier post with a lovely photo of me diving Truk Lagoon with my long-since retired Nik V. The Sherwoods outlasted the camera by about 8 years...and they are still going strong. We used them for 3 weeks recently whilst diving off the Big Island of Hawaii.

Here is a URL that describes the Apex that I saw:

APEKS TX50

It is in German, but if you look at the second drawing, you will see the vent (nr. 15) that is identified in English as the " AP1677 Exhaust tee".

It may be that Apex no longer makes this model. I saw it once about two years ago on another diver's gear.

joewr

Last edited:
"less bulletproof"? Our 4 Sherwood Oases have been in constant service since 2000. I think each has over 1000 dives to its credit. I guess I consider that fairly bulletproof...

I never sell old equipment or buy used equipment; hence, I may not be sufficiently aware of resale value. Our old equipment is retired gracefully and, occasionally, provides nice memories: "Remember the time in the Bahamas when we ascended through a school of jelly fish in these shorties?????"

joewr

Hi,

Please see my earlier post with a lovely photo of me diving Truk Lagoon with my long-since retired Nik V. The Sherwoods outlasted the camera by about 8 years...and they are still going strong. We used them for 3 weeks recently whilst diving off the Big Island of Hawaii.

APEKS TX50

It is in German, but if you look at the second drawing, you will see the vent (nr. 15) that is identified in English as the " AP1677 Exhaust tee".

It may be that Apex no longer makes this model. I saw it once about two years ago on another diver's gear.

joewr

joewr

I'm 99.9% sure no Apeks reg, certainly in the past 20 years, ever had a side exhaust but all use the same design exhaust T i.e. vents from both sides. The only variation is the ability on the XTX series to change T between wide and narrow. Cheers.

I'm 99.9% sure no Apeks reg, certainly in the past 20 years, ever had a side exhaust but all use the same design exhaust T i.e. vents from both sides. The only variation is the ability on the XTX series to change T between wide and narrow. Cheers.

Hi,

I guess there was a misunderstanding: by side exhaust, I did not mean just one side; I meant both sides. If you look at the photo of me, the early Sherwoods I cited, and the Apex I cited, they all feature two side exhausts--or an "Exhaust tee". Sorry for the confusion...

joewr

Hi,

I guess there was a misunderstanding: by side exhaust, I did not mean just one side; I meant both sides. If you look at the photo of me, the early Sherwoods I cited, and the Apex I cited, they all feature two side exhausts--or an "Exhaust tee". Sorry for the confusion...

joewr

Cool, no problem, now I understand. Cheers.

Thats one case when punctuation and quick typing while getting on a train played a trick on me. What meant to be said is that they are inexpensive and bulletproof :)

joewr

Hi,

APEKS TX50

joewr

Thats one case when punctuation and quick typing while getting on a train played a trick on me. What meant to be said is that they are inexpensive and bulletproof :)

Greetings! And thanks for the note. Punctuation is a problem with those folks who practice the Queen's English. I know from personal experience: my late Dad was a Canuck from Winnipeg. Although he left the frozen wilds of that great city, he never mastered the use of the comma. But he sure knew his ice hockey and left me with that legacy: I am a season ticket holder for the San Jose Sharks.

In the event, I still find it frustrating that companies maintain a product's name, but hugely change its characteristics. The modern Sherwood Oasis only vaguely resembles its ancestors.

By-the-by, when your Maple Leafs come to San Jose, I am one of the very few Americans who can sing "O Canada!" without peeking at the lyrics. Sadly, I can only do the English version; one of these days I will learn the more xenophobic French version...

joewr

Hi, I am fairly new to diving and am in the process of buying all of my equipment. I live in Boston MA and have done the majority of my diving off of Rockport/Gloucester which is about an hour north of Boston. The water has typically been between 50-60 degrees near the surface, I was out a week ago and around 50 feet I got a reading of 39 degrees. I would like to go to some tropical areas and do some diving and I was also considering diving off of the bottom of Argentina and down by Antartica. I only got certified this summer and was also thinking of continuing to dive a few times this winter. Hopefully this is enough background on myself to help with my question.

I am trying to decide which regulator to purchase. A regulator isn't something I want to cheap out on and I want to make sure I get one that is going to perform well in any condition (temp and depth). I have heard great things about the MK25/S600 combo so I was leaning toward that. I have also heard good things about the Blizzard, which is at a lower price point. I am hoping to hear some opinions on which would be best for me and if anyone has had any issues with either one.

Thanks!

I purcased my scuba pro S600 /MK25 from South Shore divers in Weymouth I love it and in the past 2 1/2 years put about 200 dives on it .Both here in New England on the South shore ,north shore and a few dives off the coast of Maine . Love Folly Cove lol... here on the South shore and yes it is cold here . I also have about 100-125 dives with it in the Phillippines where I prefer diving the VIS about 25 feet or so is great and you do not need gloves hood or a drysuit as the temperature is about 72 or so .

We will be diving North shore next weekend you can check out my regulator

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom