gear for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redneck23ms

Contributor
Reaction score
i recently took the open water training at a local shop here in fort collins co. still waiting to take the certification. i am on a waiting list for the cert course for dec. anyways since i have some time i would like to begin acquiring my own gear. i am looking for a good set of regulators that won't break the bank. only need the first stage and one second stage as i plan on running an air2 or similar for my backup. i'm not planning on any real cold water dives but living in colorado anything is possible. i would guess most dives would be in water 65-85 degrees. i'm also fine picking up used gear and then having it serviced by my local shop. would also like to get a computer. again used is fine. again i don't want to break the bank on my first set of gear until i know how much i will actually use it. any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi,
It's been a long time since I made my first scuba gear purchase, but I'll try to make a few reasonable suggestions.

I consider four items "mandatory" in terms of personal gear:
1) Mask--you really want one that fits you reliably and gives you the kind of vision you like. If your dive shop has a pool, they will often let you try the kinds they sell--in the pool, a good idea.
2) Fins (& associated booties if needed)--ever since they were introduced, split fins have been the subject of all sorts of "controversy". I switched shortly after they were introduced and have owned several types. But, again, your local dive shop might let you try the kinds of fins they sell.
3) Regulator--this can be a real budget buster and also the subject of all sorts of conversation. My advise: get the best one you can afford.
4) Wetsuit--the temp range you cited is too large for a single suit recommendation! I have, for years, eschewed shorties; why? Because I once had the thrill of having to ascend through a school of jellyfish! So, for really warm water, a fleece is nice. However, except for very cold water, a 3mm full suit is a good general purchase. You can always augment it with a 2-3mm vest for occasional colder water. The low you cited would probably mandate a dry suit--something requiring big $$$$ AND specialized training.

Please note that three of the items I mentioned have a "hygiene" aspect to them. I don't want to stick someone else's mask on my face, reg in my mouth, or wetsuit on my bod. The fins needing booties fit that pistol as well. Since we do a fair amount of shore dives, I consider such fins mandatory. For boat dives, slip-ons are just fine, but climbing a ladder in bare feet can be a nuisance.

Well, that's my drift. I'm sure I'll be pilloried and drummed from the Board for making such outrageous suggestions, but I can always use the late Flip Wilson's excuse: "The devil made me do it!"

joewr

Just a thought but you might want to consider renting for a while. I'm guessing you already have mask/booties/fins/snorkel as the shops around here all require you to own before you take a class.

Lots of these gear decisions are subjective. Sure, a $600 reg is probably going to breathe better than a $200 one. Is it a difference you will care about? Only you can make that call. I rented for about 4 months before buying anything. Then I researched and bought each component one at a time. If you have more than one shop which rents gear, play the field. That way you get to try a bigger variety.

Here's a tip I didn't learn until after I'd paid for almost all my gear. Prices in dive shops are generally negotiable. Don't walk in and pay sticker price.

For what it's worth, I've bought a few used items here on scubaboard. Never had a negative experience, just good gear for less than full retail price. There's good deals on stuff posted OFTEN.

One final note. Some dive shops (not all) are very touchy about internet purchases. If you buy something on the internet and then try to pay the LDS for service, don't tell them you bought it on the internet. I've heard of dive shops refusing to service internet gear just to make a point.

I would advise against buying gear prematurely.

After getting certified, I did my first twenty dives on rental gear of different sorts. I realized the following:

1. Split fins were not for me.

2. BCD was not for me. I purchased a BP wing set up.

3. I could force myself to fit into a stock sized wetsuit but a custom wetsuit would make worlds of a difference.

4. The best mask is the mask that fits "your" face.

After making my gear purchases I grew out of a lot of gear very quickly. I was fortunate to have invested in a nitrox dive computer but just like you I also believed that I would only dive warm water. WRONG! A few dives later I had to sell my Atomic Z2 for an Apeks XTX50. My advise would be as follows:

1. Forget about purchasing and try to dive borrowed / rented gear. Make lots of notes of what you liked and did not like with that gear.

2. Buy the same model of mask and fins over ebay.

3. Never buy a BCD without trying a BP-wing first.

4. Buy custom measured wetsuit.

5. Buy nitrox compatible computer.

6. Buy cold water compatible sealed reg.

That is all :D

I would advise against buying gear prematurely.

After getting certified, I did my first twenty dives on rental gear of different sorts. I realized the following:

1. Split fins were not for me.

2. BCD was not for me. I purchased a BP wing set up.

3. I could force myself to fit into a stock sized wetsuit but a custom wetsuit would make worlds of a difference.

4. The best mask is the mask that fits "your" face.

After making my gear purchases I grew out of a lot of gear very quickly. I was fortunate to have invested in a nitrox dive computer but just like you I also believed that I would only dive warm water. WRONG! A few dives later I had to sell my Atomic Z2 for an Apeks XTX50. My advise would be as follows:

1. Forget about purchasing and try to dive borrowed / rented gear. Make lots of notes of what you liked and did not like with that gear.

2. Buy the same model of mask and fins over ebay.

3. Never buy a BCD without trying a BP-wing first.

4. Buy custom measured wetsuit.

5. Buy nitrox compatible computer.

6. Buy cold water compatible sealed reg.

That is all :D

Hi,

This is good advise and somewhat compatible with mine.

Note that I did not include BC/Wings in my list. This is something that you can rent, has no "hygiene" issues and will give you a good feel for what works best for you.

As regards the computer issue: absolutely get a Nitrox-capable one. Until you have good bottom times, you will not need Nitrox, but once you get that skill, you will find that Nitrox keeps you in the green or early yellow. It is mandatory if you ever start doing 3 dives per day...I tend to use air for my first dive and Nitrox for subsequent dives--except when I do 4-5 dives/day on a live-aboard--then I use Nitrox starting with dive 1. The EAN Cert is a snap. Computers come in all sorts of flavors; so I always recommend that you sit down with the seller and go through all the functions. Some computers are more user friendly than others. Another thing you can do is go on-line and look for the on-line instruction books for the computers that interest you. These will give you a flavor as to how hard/easy it is to set and use. One thing not mentioned is obtaining a second computer. I know folks who just carry a second one of the same brand used in their consols: they stick it in a BC pocket and if it is ever needed, it is there. I carry a second computer, but it is a Suunto Stinger (Model 1--which will tell you how ancient I am) that comes in wristwatch style. But this is an item that can wait.

I have a custom Henderson Gold wetsuit. I went through a number of generations of wetsuits and found that I liked the following: front zipper, zippers on wrists and ankles, 5mm neo--Henderson Gold. Sadly, you cannot get that same combo from Henderson anymore...but my current version still has a lot of dives left in it. So, I absolutely agree with the notion of a custom wetsuit. However, for newbies I generally recommend an off the rack "vanilla" 3mm suit from the mfg whose suit fits you best. I just liked the hygiene aspects of having my own wetsuit from Day 1. When you finally decide what you really need, you can always sell your old wet suit.

Regs are a whole kettle of fish. I have an ancient Sherwood Oasis that is almost 14 years old. It has been carefully maintained--along with its 3 brothers. My wife and I alternate them and keep all in excellent nick. Again, this reveals my age AND the fact that we EXCLUSIVELY dive the tropics. Since I am 71 and my wife is 66, that is not likely to change. If cold water is in your future, Capt. Sinbad's advise is spot on. I don't know if you can rent the full range of regs available, though. One thing about owning your own reg, besides the hygiene issue, is maintenance. I know my regs are always properly maintained because I take care of that task with a long-trusted scuba gear "mechanic". Ten years experience with him gives me that confidence.

Since you already have a mask, fins, and booties, you are well on your way to getting my version of the mandatory self-owned scuba gear list. Christmas is not that far off...save your sheckles and give yourself some much deserved gear--and, if needs must, skip all those cups of Starbucks/Peets coffee. That should create a nice pile of cash!

joewr

As far as the YUK and hygiene factor goes urine is sterile when it leaves the body but it does grow bacteria quite well.:D

Please note that three of the items I mentioned have a "hygiene" aspect to them. I don't want to stick someone else's mask on my face, reg in my mouth, or wetsuit on my bod. The fins needing booties fit that pistol as well. Since we do a fair amount of shore dives, I consider such fins mandatory. For boat dives, slip-ons are just fine, but climbing a ladder in bare feet can be a nuisance.

As far as hygiene goes please give us the references for all the diseases caught by divers using rental or used gear. You can sterilize a regulator mouthpiece with an alcohol wipe if you want to. Same with a mask. Also do you use the rinse tank on the boat or on shore? If so you have everyone's germs on your items. As far as the wetsuit goes you need to be foolish to wear one with a strong urine odor. If buying used then just soak it in the tub with some Lysol and laundry detergent. You can also use some fabric softener if you want to give it a "spring fresh" scent.

I am not a doctor but germs are everywhere. Your cell phone, keyboard, money, and toothbrush are probably far more dangerous than a used wetsuit.

As far as hygiene goes please give us the references for all the diseases caught by divers using rental or used gear. You can sterilize a regulator mouthpiece with an alcohol wipe if you want to. Same with a mask. Also do you use the rinse tank on the boat or on shore? If so you have everyone's germs on your items. As far as the wetsuit goes you need to be foolish to wear one with a strong urine odor. If buying used then just soak it in the tub with some Lysol and laundry detergent. You can also use some fabric softener if you want to give it a "spring fresh" scent.

I am not a doctor but germs are everywhere. Your cell phone, keyboard, money, and toothbrush are probably far more dangerous than a used wetsuit.

Hi,
Please be my guest and indulge yourself in enjoying other folks' yuk: and, no charge for this service!
joewr

Hi,
Please be my guest and indulge yourself in enjoying other folks' yuk: and, no charge for this service!
joewr

Hi, So you cannot give one reference or refute what I said? You need to resort to personal insults? Why don't you dive under the rock you came from and please refrain from giving newbie divers your bad advice.

I especially liked your advice in the other thread about side venting regulators when all you want is a wider exhaust T and then recommending a regulator that is out-of-production for about a decade that you only saw on a dive boat and on a German webpage because it has a wide exhaust T.

Some people want to enjoy diving but are not wealthy so they buy used gear or rent gear. There is nothing wrong with it and you are doing them a disservice by spreading old wives tales based on superstition not fact.

Back
Top Bottom