Kauai diving: any good?.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vimaldude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Me and my son are thinking about dive vacation in December. One of the destinations that came up was Kauai. We have previously dived Maui and Kona.

How different is kauai diving from other islands? We love to see Pelagius but I don't think that is an option in Kauai. We also like critters that are not seen elsewhere. We prefer small groups, comfy boats, attentive dive masters and relaxed diving.

would like to do 10-14 dives in a week.

any recommendations between Five Fathom and SeaSport divers or other operators in Kauai?

Is kauai a good dive vacation?

thanks

My son and I just finished two days of diving with Fathom Five. Fathom does a maximum of six on the boat.

Nice dives, lots of indemic species.

Nice shore diving at Koloa Landing, but we did not do it this time.

Yes, it is different than the Big Island.

Contact AquamanKauai, he is a fantastic guide and really knows the critters. He was the guide on one of our days. He is a frequent poster in the Hawaii forums.

Bill

Aloha and thanks for your post regarding diving on Kauai. I think you'll find over the next few days you'll get great help here from many divers. I personally couldn't be more biased as I have been diving 12 of my 15 years professionally on the island of Kauai. Simply said - "I LOVE IT!" So my reply may be slanted a tiny bit reflecting that fact.

Although there are countless similarities between all the islands - each one has it's on unique characteristics and highlights. Kauai is very different in that the basis for the underwater ecology is actually algae based and not really coral based. The Garden Island is very wet and lush. The rainfall results in many streams and rivers which in turn lead to fresh water runoff. That runoff (runoff anywhere actually) leads to algae growth. There is enough of it here that the algae growth competes with coral for space on the reef and here simply "wins out' largely. You don't see the abundance of corals for that reason that you see on Maui - and especially the vast coral gardens of Kona. With the algae based ecology comes great benefits though! It's a great food source for one - and probably contributes to our large and very well fed turtle population. Having dove Maui they are obviously not something new to you, but you can expect the same world class turtle diving here. The Algae also helps a great invertebrate population.

---------- Post added October 5th, 2013 at 10:23 PM ----------

(part II)

Our proximity to the northwest Hawaiian Islands also means we share some of it's critters that you are less likely or unlikely to see on other islands. Some of the rare fish we see here include (but are not limited to) Whiskered Boarfish, Spotted Knifejaws and Hawaiian Morwongs. The endemic Bandit Angel is actually very common here where they are somewhere rare or require deeper diving (Kona) to see.

We also have one of the best shore dives in the state in my opinion in Koloa Landing when it comes to critters. Right now for example, we have several of the more amazing critters you'll ever see in Hawaii at the site! As of 2 weeks ago we have a resident Lined Frogfish (know from only a few specimens), Harlequin Shrimp (WOW!) and the amazing Dragon Morays! In addition to those critters you can find Leaf Scorpions, Devil Scorpions, endemic Red and Green Lion fish, Freckled Snake Eels, Scarlet Lady Cleaner Shrimp, Octopus, and so much more daily.

There are fantastic sites off the boat as well where you can encounter Whitetip Reef Sharks, huge Yellowmargin Morays, Day Octopus, Turtle cleaning stations, Frogfish and more daily.

I don't want to get to carried away with details and will happily answer and specifics you have. The primary diving will be on the south shore in Dec so you'd likely want to stay that way for the amount of diving you are doing to avoid long travel times should you decide to come.

As far as Pelagic life.... Well, the summer months are the Niihau trips and they have the best Pelagic life - but we do see Mantas in the winter time to time as well as an occasional monk seal. The biggest Pelagic of them all for us will be here though!!! Our Humpback Whales will be in full force here in December and you'll here them daily vocalizing and singing on your dives! Last year was and epic one for me in that I got to see them 6 times on scuba! While Maui has the second highest concentration of Humpback Whales on any given day during peek season - I've never heard of so many underwater encounters as I do here on Kauai.

Hopefully this is a good start to the responses you will get and you'll have lots of info. The island has several very good companies with very professional staff members. While I am currently at Fathom Five I'd be more than happy to put you in touch with any of the other companies or make suggestions for DM's if you decide to visit.

Personally I get very excited hearing about the possibility of your visit. Ultimately I would love to have the chance to take you diving and share my love for Kauai diving with you - but would be very happy to help you plan a trip here as well. Humbly (and a product of being here many years) I feel that given the opportunity to share Kauai diving with you - you couldn't have anything other than an a amazing and memorable time diving here.

Let me know if I can help in even the smallest of ways with information or suggestions. Thank you for your post as well.

If you decide to visit Kauai I always offer to send guidebooks and critter books out for guests to borrow in advance to help them get excited about their stay.

oh, and in case you were curious about topside stuff...

Kauai is sleepier and slower than some of the other islands with much less nightlife (but great night dives! Had to sneak that in). You'll find that secluded hikes, waterfalls, beaches etc. are easy to find. All the usual non diving activities are available as on the other islands. The Napali Coast is breathtaking and a must see. The Waimea Canyon is also incredible if you are willing to give up a day of diving to go to elevation (sounds crazy I know!).

Well, the very best of wishes to you as you plan your vacation. You can reach me with a personal message here on the board for fast reply - or I am always following the posts under the Hawaii forum and can get back to you ASAP.

Have a great rest of the weekend
A

Thanks for the detailed replay, AquamanKauai.

You have convinced me!
Please expect a PM from me as soon as I finalize my trip.
"Mahalo".

I LOVE Kauai and diving in Kauai, too.

It's a place where you can have fun and totally RELAX.

Hi! I just, just joined this forum, a referral from NW Dive Club sent me this way. I will be visiting Kauai in late Nov. until mid Dec., super excited! So happy to have found this thread, I was looking for some advice on dive sites and hopefully a dive buddy while I'm there, I'm traveling with non-divers (sad, I know). We will be staying in Poipu, is Loloa Landing the only shore dive in the area? AquamanKauai, I enjoyed reading your comments and would enjoy chatting with you a bit more. Do the whales start showing up in the early part of December? Would be amazing to hear them!

Hi! I just, just joined this forum, a referral from NW Dive Club sent me this way. I will be visiting Kauai in late Nov. until mid Dec., super excited! So happy to have found this thread, I was looking for some advice on dive sites and hopefully a dive buddy while I'm there, I'm traveling with non-divers (sad, I know). We will be staying in Poipu, is Loloa Landing the only shore dive in the area? AquamanKauai, I enjoyed reading your comments and would enjoy chatting with you a bit more. Do the whales start showing up in the early part of December? Would be amazing to hear them!

Koloa Landing isn't the only site...but it's by far the best. You can do several dives there and not see all it has to offer. You can send me a PM at any point for detailed information regarding anything diving or non-diving. The whales have had there first few sightings already in Hawaii though they are early season "scouts" that come down well ahead of the rest of the whales. By late Nov and early Dec there will be a few more for sure and it is possible that you will here them underwater.

As far as finding a buddy I'd be more than happy to send you information on all the dive shops here etc. For that matter it wouldn't take much of a twist of my arm to lead you on some dives as well of course. I am currently working at Fathom Five in Koloa. Let me know if you need any info for your non-diving travel partners as well. If any of them are interest in a introductory lesson - Koloa Landing is a perfect spot for one as well.

Happy dive/vacation planning!! Send me a PM at any point and I will get back to you as soon as I can dry off!
Island best!
A

Aloha nui loa!

You might consider Bubbles Below whilst diving Kauai: Bubbles Below Kauai scuba dive tours | Scuba diving Kauai, Niihau, and Na Pali
Linda is a superb DM and runs a quality operation. She is great with both novice and experienced divers.

Since Kauai is the oldest of the main islands in the Hawaiian Chain, it has the most algae and soft sand. In fact, some folks refer to the diving there as "muck diving". However, do not let that deter you: it is excellent diving. You will see more turtles off Kauai than you will the other islands--be prepared for seeing some rather ugly growths on some of the beasties, though. Also, you will probably see a fair number of frog fish, a delightful sight. And, with luck, you might see a monk seal UW or onshore.

Linda also takes trips to Niihau and Lehua, but these require a fairly long boat ride AND the weather must cooperate. That said, I tend to think of these dives as being for more advanced divers.

So, I would encourage you to dive Kauai: it is a very fun and relaxing experience!

joewr

It sound like you are taken care of. If things don't work out I can highly recommend Seasport also.

i really enjoyed Kauai. A very easy and fun dive for me was Sheraton Caverns. It's pretty shallow so you got a lot of time to see the enormous amount of critters. There are a few swim throughs and turtles absolutely everywhere.

---------- Post added November 8th, 2013 at 09:56 PM ----------

I'll be on there on vacation this December, and hopefully spend a day or two diving, which dive outfits do y'all recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom