Travel fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The airlines have been caught cheating on their weigh scales with up to five pounds indicated over actual. This way they get to charge for the overage even though you are actually under limit. My goal is to get my kit down to 35 pounds including the bag. I am not sure these fins will knock any real weight off my Mares Avanti Quattros, which are not exactly heavy either. But they are long.

N

You made me curious so I just pulled out the kitchen scales and weighed both fins without straps. The Accels came in at 600gm (1 lb 4oz) each and the Avantis (Planas) were 800gm each. Not a lot, but every little bit helps and as you say the Accels are significantly shorter and easier to pack. My bag packed with clothes and dive gear comes in around 17kg which is about your goal weight. My back pack with camera gear, hat and spray jacket is around 6kg. Also, while I had the straps off I weighed them and the original mares plastic straps with buckles are 100gms each and the Mares SS spring straps are 200gms each.

Last edited:
The airlines have been caught cheating on their weigh scales with up to five pounds indicated over actual. This way they get to charge for the overage even though you are actually under limit. My goal is to get my kit down to 35 pounds including the bag. I am not sure these fins will knock any real weight off my Mares Avanti Quattros, which are not exactly heavy either. But they are long.

N

They are feather light, I almost lost one off the back of a boat and we weren't moving fast.

The regulars beat the XL to my door somehow. The fit seems about right with my booties. The pocket of the Aeris Accel regular is about the same length as the Mares regular but not quite as wide or high. Since I have wide feet with a high arch, this worries me a tad but sitting here with them on, they seem fine.

They are very light. I do not have tome to go get my scale but with the spring straps removed from my Mares and installed on the Accels, the Accels still feel lighter than the Mares without any strap. And, the strap that came with them seems just fine to me, different, but I think it will be fine. No need for spring straps.

At least once per trip in jumping in these Mares have come off my feet. So far, due to quickness on my part, I have been able to recover the errant fin. Perhaps the Mares have always been a little bit big.

Well, I am impressed with the overall quality appearance and design. A simple, basic fin with minimal foolishness and gimmicks. The blade is snappy and appears sufficiently stiff.

Update, :wink:, just moved my spring straps from the Mares to the Aeris Accels, now they feel even better and are still very, very light and packable.

N

They do seem to run a little on the big side - I tried on small and found them ok, then found the XS was a way better fit for me.

It seems fit is the critical factor, with several shorter lightweight fins functioning extremely well, provided they fit. I've been using Hollis F2s for a year, and find them to be perfect for me. They are excellent tough well made fins that function better than their shorter length suggest. They pack easily in my carry on, along with my regulator, mask, and other vital items.

I have a size 12W (US) foot size. I use 3 mm hard sole boots with them, and the fit is near perfection in XL. These fins come in three sizes, and if one works well for you I recommend them highly. If they do not fit properly, finding another travel friendly fin is the best option. Fortunately there are several possibilities.

It seems fit is the critical factor, with several shorter lightweight fins functioning extremely well, provided they fit. I've been using Hollis F2s for a year, and find them to be perfect for me. They are excellent tough well made fins that function better than their shorter length suggest. They pack easily in my carry on, along with my regulator, mask, and other vital items.

I have a size 12W (US) foot size. I use 3 mm hard sole boots with them, and the fit is near perfection in XL. These fins come in three sizes, and if one works well for you I recommend them highly. If they do not fit properly, finding another travel friendly fin is the best option. Fortunately there are several possibilities.

Yep, that was the problem I had with the F2s, I like them but the small is too big, the foot pocket is huge, hence moving to the Accels. The Accels fit better but I found them to be less powerful than the F2s. The F2s are stiffer. I can generate more power Frog kicking in the F2s than the Accels. I think for low current, light suit, warm water reef diving and travel the Accels excel. Not sure I'd want to face a current of moderate strength wearing them.

I bought the XS and put MED Seawing Nova bungee straps on them. I'm a 6.5 narrow and wear old compressed 5mm boots.

I'm still bummed the F2s don't work for me, like you said they are light, very robust, more so than the Accels, the monoprene on the F2s is thicker and they work very well for me doing all kicks.

If fitting was not an issue I'd choose the F2s over the Accels but still like the Accels just not as much. Maybe some more dives might change that.

Last edited:
I took my new Accels to the pool today. Before my two mile swim workout I played with them a moment. Hardly a real test but I like them. I like them a whole bunch. Well, off to Coz., later SCUBA dudes.

N

I took my new Accels to the pool today. Before my two mile swim workout I played with them a moment. Hardly a real test but I like them. I like them a whole bunch. Well, off to Coz., later SCUBA dudes.

N

Whew, glad you like them James, have fun diving in Coz.

Whew, glad you like them James, have fun diving in Coz.

Thanks, I was just kidding about the bad influence thing, :wink:. I am my own bad influence, only need to ask my wife!

Nem

Back
Top Bottom