Why isn't the Freedom Plate DIR compliant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears I am indeed in possession of a Freedom Plate! Number 115, to be specific. Based on what it was in front of and behind in my basement I'm guessing it was more like 4-5 years ago.

As luck would have it, I'm heading off on a one-week liveaboard trip in a few weeks. If my United Premier status gets me a space-confirmed 1st class upgrade I'll be able to bring three 75lb bags, so could web up the Freedom plate and bring that along with my usual Halcyon rig fir a week's worth of compare and contrast diving... if you're interested.
Go for it.
All you need is 10' of 2" webbing, a few D-rings, a waist buckle, a couple of cam bands, and a hot butter knife and you're in business!
You can even take off that rail and leave it behind if you want to save a few ounces.
You can use the plate without it, that's just in case you want the angle. If you don't want to molest and corrupt one of your wings you could always dive the plate with no wing... Whoa! maybe that's pushing it.
Halcyon really needs to get with the program and start putting slots in their single tank wings. Any self respecting BP/W single tank diver knows that.

Let me know how it works out.

Hint: (whispering from behind my hand)...Pssst, hey buddy, you can fill the rail with lead for a few more pounds of non ditchable weight for back home :wink:

Go for it.
All you need is 10' of 2" webbing, a few D-rings, a waist buckle, a couple of cam bands, and a hot butter knife and you're in business!
You can even take off that rail and leave it behind if you want to save a few ounces.
You can use the plate without it, that's just in case you want the angle. If you don't want to molest and corrupt one of your wings you could always dive the plate with no wing... Whoa! maybe that's pushing it.
Halcyon really needs to get with the program and start putting slots in their single tank wings. Any self respecting BP/W single tank diver knows that.

Let me know how it works out.

Hint: (whispering from behind my hand)...Pssst, hey buddy, you can fill the rail with lead for a few more pounds of non ditchable weight for back home :wink:

Halcyon used to slot their wings and have rods in the wing to act as an STA. My wing from 2003 has them.

Hint: (whispering from behind my hand)...Pssst, hey buddy, you really do need to stop with the snide digs at other manufacturers' products... and directly or indirectly at people who have purchased other manufacturers' products.

I offer this advice, not as a Halcyon owner, and not as a diver, but as a Managing Director at one of the largest ad agencies in the world. If taking "the high road" of not continually insulting potential customers is generally good advice for any self-respecting multi-billion dollar global brand... it's probably good advice for you, too.

Last edited:
Apparently you did not read much of my post...like the part where I explained that to wear doubles is to wear a dry suit and end up with a very different fit than a wet suit...meaning it is not a few seconds as you suggest, but more like 15 minutes or more with tweaking the perfect fit that I would really rather not have to keep trying to get again, over and over again.

Dan you dive wet in a single tank and dry in doubles. That is you not everyone else.

Edit: Although I don't own one Halcyon makes the Cinch so adjustments are fairly easy.

Last edited:
Hint: (whispering from behind my hand)...Pssst, hey buddy, you really do need to stop with the snide digs at other manufacturers' products... and directly or indirectly at people who have purchased other manufacturers' products.

I offer this advice, not as a Halcyon owner, and not as a diver, but as a Managing Director at one of the largest ad agencies in the world. If taking "the high road" of not continually insulting potential customers is generally good advice for any self-respecting multi-billion dollar global brand... it's probably good advice for you, too.

I agree. All of his constant sarcasm and underhanded comments are turning me away from his product.

Halcyon used to slot their wings and have rods in the wing to act as an STA. My wing from 2003 has them.
Halcyon as far as I know was the first to have slotted wings and plates. I remember reading on the internet that "Now the rig is even more streamlined than before because we eliminated the STA getting the tank even closer to your body".
I remember this well because that's what got everybody else to do it. Eliminating the STA getting the tank close and getting rid of another part seemed like pure genius to me.
Then I remember people had trouble balancing the tank on top of the channel without it slipping around so maybe that's why they went back to a STA and no slots in the wings?
I'm not fully clear on why they went back.

As Halcyon owner as well as other brands I do not consider this an insult. I agree. To me the perfect wing would be a narrow profile wing, constructed using the same materials as Halcyon, with the strap cut outs like DSS, and with a removable STA like Hollis.

I think you're taking this way too seriously.
What dig? you mean about H getting with the program?
Yeah, look at all the other great brands out there and what they're doing with their wings. H was actually the influence!
They innovate not go back.
Are you also considering my comments about standard plates a dig? I see the design as flawed and I'll say it.
People want to know why I do what I do. I'm not going to sugar coat it and I'm not going to lie about it.
I'm a blue collar metal worker that says it like it is. What do you expect?

H is a multi billion dollar company? Oh come on, give me a break. Scuba (especially tech) is a micro sport and there is a LOT of competition these days splitting up an ever shrinking pie.

I think you're taking this way too seriously.
What dig? you mean about H getting with the program?
Yeah, look at all the other great brands out there and what they're doing with their wings. H was actually the influence!
They innovate not go back.
Are you also considering my comments about standard plates a dig? I see the design as flawed and I'll say it.
People want to know why I do what I do. I'm not going to sugar coat it and I'm not going to lie about it.
I'm a blue collar metal worker that says it like it is. What do you expect?

H is a multi billion dollar company? Oh come on, give me a break. Scuba (especially tech) is a micro sport and there is a LOT of competition these days splitting up an ever shrinking pie.

The multi-billion dollar brands I was referencing were the clients I work with, not Halcyon. (Though I'd happily take them on as a client.)

Your comments about features and design of competitive products are fine. It's the sarcasm and veiled insults that are turn-offs. The dig I was pointing out was the one at "any self-respecting single tank diver" and what they should know. The tacit implication is that someone that dives such a product doesn't rise to your definition of "self-respecting" diver. The fact that we're nine days into this thread and you still don't see how this comes across is telling.

Yes, I take providing marketing advice "way too seriously" for some folks. I've worked with start ups who "get it" and become billion-dollar brands. I've also seen billion-dollar brands not get it and go out of business. The former tend to listen to the customer before talking to them. The latter often touts a desire to "say it like it is" before talking over the customer.

If you can PM me your address I'll get the plate I have back to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom