Travel fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rocha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone, so, long story short, an airline lost one of my bags during my last trip and I am in the market for new fins. I had a Scubapro twin jet for 10 years and really liked it (except when there was a current), but lately I've found myself frog kicking more and more, and the twin jets are not really good at that.

What I am looking for I guess then are light (preferably lighter than twin jets) fins good for frog kicking, but not very stiff. I tried the Holis F1 and they gave me cramps during the occasional flutter kick, not to mention they are very heavy (I think one of them weighs as much as a pair of twin jets). I noticed the SP Sea Wings and very light, but they look "gimmicky" and I tend to stay away from those. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

P.S.: Most of my diving is in the tropics with no wetsuit.

OMS Slipstreams are lighter, about 1/2 the weight of Turtle and similar design.

If you're moving to frogkick, I'd recommend Poseidon jet fins. I own a pair because they are shorter and lighter than the typical ones like Scubapro jet fins. Perfect for my so not strong legs.

Shorter, therefore I can tuck them in the suitcase easily. Also come with spring straps.

To fight stronger currents, I still need to kick like riding a bike, so that my feet dont take all the resistance.

I bought a pair of Force Fin originals specifically to use as travel fins. Very pleased with their performance and ease of packing.

Either the OMS Slipstreams or the Dive Rite EXPs. The new Hollis F2s have gotten some good reviews too. The EXPs and F2s come with spring straps, which you will have to add on your own to the Slipstreams.

I've used both Force Fins and OMS Slipstreams for travel.

Both work very well.

I started out with SP Jets years ago. They were great fins but very heavy. I remember going for a snorkel in Mexico several years ago after a day of cave diving. Huge mistake. I could not keep my feet up on the surface to snorkel properly.

I went with Dive Rite fins when I began sidemount diving. At that time they had the old all black or different color versions. Great light fins with a lot of power to them. It took me a few dives to get used to them because they're about 3 inches longer than Jets, but after I got used to that I found I was able to move a longer distance with a less forceful frog kick. When Dive Rite began making the new EXP fins and offered the trade in program I swapped them out. I wish I hadn't. Unfortunately, I've already had 2 sets of fins split on me and know others who have had similar issues. Dive Rite has made good on it and swapped out the blades but after the 2nd set started splitting I decided it was time to look for another brand. I travel to Mexico a few times a year and couldn't have a fin I couldn't rely on.

I've been diving SEAC GP100 4x4s for the past year and have had great results. They aren't as stiff as the Dive Rite fins but they are stiff enough to move me through the water with a set of steel 95s, 2 AL80 stage tanks, and an AL40 deco tank. They have held up to a lot of abuse with no issues.

Have a look at the Aeris Accels, I bought a pair and got to try them last week. I'll post an in depth review on them over the next few days. They are certainly very light, quite possibly the lightest open heel fin currently on the market save possibly the Hotshots. Lighter than the Novas and F2s. They have received good reviews although not sure I agree.

Have a look at the Aeris Accels, I bought a pair and got to try them last week. I'll post an in depth review on them over the next few days. They are certainly very light, quite possibly the lightest open heel fin currently on the market save possibly the Hotshots. Lighter than the Novas and F2s. They have received good reviews although not sure I agree.

I haven't heard of these before, they do look very interesting. Please let me know what you think after you test them.

My buddy swears by his seawing nova fins. He has three sets now for whatever it is we're doing. I have F1's, the extra weight helps keep my floaty feet under control in my DS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom