Dive Center ready to play

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Idaho Dive Pirates

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi scubaboard,
My name is Bret I've been diving for 7 years and am close to 700 dives. I've been to Cozumel, Roatan, Grand Cayman, and Hawaii most of my dives are in the rivers near Idaho Falls Idaho. My wife and I own the LDS here and enjoy hosting as many events as possible for our divers. I am on the local dive rescue teams and have had a couple finds so far. Joined sb hoping to link up with divers in east Idaho.

Hello Bret,
I too am from Idaho Falls, Idaho. You guys have got that really cool dive logo on your building. I have heard alot of good things about your shop. Gear, Training, and all around great Hangout. I will be by. :)
Dave Boling

It always surprises me how many places there are to dive in beautiful South Eastern Idaho.

1. Snake River - This has to be listed first since its right in front of the shop and runs directly thru Idaho Falls. This river offers many things to see and many under water challenges for every level of diver. It is also one of my local favorites.

2. Teton River - Beautiful with majestic views. Once Again, many under water challenges for every level of diver. I specifically like diving the local old bridges the college kids jump off. Treasure of all sorts seems to collect in these holes.

3. Ririe Lake – It is close and local to Idaho Falls. If you want to work on your skills, try a different skill (Deep Water, Photography, Night Diving, Dry Suit, Etc.) The Dam area provides a great place. You can also dive as deep as 30' before you hit the first thermocline. Finding treasure from the local cliff jumpers is always a plus.

4. Palisades Lake - I haven't seen much specifically here. It's silty bottom didn't lend itself to a clean clear dive. When I dive this lake I like to dive it when it's low. I also like finding and diving around old structures left before the lake was made. I feel this lake has allot more to give up.

5. Yellowstone Lake – It is a crystal clear and beautiful Location. With pristine views and super clean clear lake what more could you ask for from a mountain lake. It's cold and I recommend a dry suit, although I have gone with friends who dove it in a 7mm wet suit and they did OK. Cold afterwards but they had a great time nonetheless.

6. Yellowstone Firehole - This is a unique swift current dive. Has one told me once, "It's underwater rock climbing." I love this because you obviously find treasure. The location is beautiful and the water is warm. I have seen people find expensive cool stuff and I have dove it and didn't find anything.

7. Henry's Lake - A lake similar to Ririe in the way that it's a good place to work on skills and get wet to log a dive.

8. Wade Lake - Crystal clear water, similar to Yellowstone Lake and it's cold. The fish are fun to see because there really are some good size trout.

9. Bear Lake – This is a clear and cold dive, but a fun dive. This lake has so much to offer that I can't even touch the surface. The water is gorgeous. Rumor has it this lake has caves. I am still investigating this. Let me just say with good authority, "It wouldn't surprise me."

The above list is just to name a few places I have enjoyed.

What's your favorite Southeastern Dive Location?

My favorites are
1. Firehole underwater rock climbing at its best don't need fins extra weight is a plus. Talked about that one with dive master Greg on scubaradio this summer. Tourist droppings are cool. Need another go pro :wink:

2. The snake river- found a cache of trade tokens and old coins last year never know what you'll see saw a sturgeon this summer

Any river is great of course

3. Navigating at blue lake is fun- really a fall to spring dive as the bugs are killer all summer. Cisco beach is interesting wish the viz were Carib style but the Cisco trout get big

4. Ririe will get you wet and viz can be good in the fall

5. After that my favs local are the commercial dives due to their unique nature like taking a snow machine into a power plant and doing penetrations into power plants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah Yes, We can't forget Blue Lake (Wendover, NV / Wendover, UT). :) But if your going to list this dive spot, one has to list the tiny little bit of ocean in Utah called Sea Base 40 miles to the west of Salt Lake.

This can be a good spot to go during the winter blues and when your next dive trip is to far off. It has fish you can feed cabbage to. Sometime the viability is good and sometime not so good. I was told it has something to do with the seismic activity in Yellowstone. Let's just say this hole definetly satisfies the urge regardless of the visibility.

Another great place to satisfy the diving withdrawal is the crater out past Park City, UT.

Welcome to SB Idaho Dive Pirates.

But if your going to list this dive spot, one has to list the tiny little bit of ocean in Utah called Sea Base 40 miles to the west of Salt Lake.

This can be a good spot to go during the winter blues and when your next dive trip is to far off. It has fish you can feed cabbage to. Sometime the viability is good and sometime not so good. I was told it has something to do with the seismic activity in Yellowstone. Let's just say this hole definetly satisfies the urge regardless of the visibility.
Seismic activity in Yellowstone! Now that's a first. It has to do with lots of fish, large and small, that poop in a small pond.
Let's be honest, there hasn't been any good vis there in 15+ years.

LMAO! That's so true Scott. I have been told, "the Seismic activity in Yellowstone" more than once. I don't argue I just smile and nod.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom