Nanaimo Snake Island fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do these people come up with this stuff?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

From a navy diver. If you saw the print edition it stated that recreational divers breathe oxygen or nitrox. This seems to have been corrected online to "air."

... from the article ...

“The other problem you get with really deep diving is breathing. … You don’t breathe, you bite air in and spit it out. The air is so dense at that depth, it’s very difficult to breathe,” said Buckingham

... seriously? Where do these people come up with this stuff?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You get that they were quoting a coroner who was a former navy diver. If he was a ships dive team he likely was never deeper than 60ft

:hm:

I don't update my computer just before a non-recreational dive. Just saying.

And the updated computer goes on several recreational dives before it goes non-recreational, too.

In my opinion, if you are DEPENDENT on a computer to survive a 250 foot dive, you really shouldn't be doing it.

On the other hand, the little we know about this accident doesn't suggest that a malfunctioning computer played much of a role in what happened.

In my opinion, if you are DEPENDENT on a computer to survive a 250 foot dive, you really shouldn't be doing it.

On the other hand, the little we know about this accident doesn't suggest that a malfunctioning computer played much of a role in what happened.

Agree. Of course, we have no reliable information that would lead us to conclude that their dive plan was for 250.

:hm:

I don't update my computer just before a non-recreational dive. Just saying.

And the updated computer goes on several recreational dives before it goes non-recreational, too.

I don't depend on my computer on a "non-recreational" dive. Or any dive for that matter.

Just saying.

Reactions: Jax

Its embarrassing what passes for "investigative journalism" these days.

---------- Post added October 24th, 2013 at 12:08 AM ----------

Correlation does not in fact imply causation :) 2nd semester Statistics.... the sun doesn't rise because the rooster crows :)

---------- Post added October 17th, 2013 at 01:46 PM ----------

Don't tell that to the rooster

Reactions: Jax
The only thing scarier than the Journalists interpretation of the facts is the comments of the first poster. Wow.

The only thing scarier than the Journalists interpretation of the facts is the comments of the first poster. Wow.
What?! :confused: The first two posters just linked news stories.

Back
Top Bottom