New to Toronto!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lovebeard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,
I posted this on OD as well, but here in the Ontario section of SB seems to be a bit more lively right now(and is where I heard about OD in the first place). I hope I don't offend any one by reposting here, but it's fairly lengthy and I'm on a tablet for another month or so till my computer arrives, along with my other belongings, from Singapore.

I'm a relatively new diver and definitely very new to Toronto. I've been living in Singapore the last few years and started diving in May of 2012. Well, suffice it to say I got hooked. In spite of a hectic work schedule, I've managed to log 98 dives so far, the last of them in Nusa Penida(the coldest scuba diving I have done to date at 21C!) and Komodo which were both amazing. Being the slightly deranged human that I am(according to my warm water only diving friends back in Asia) I have every intention of continuing to dive here(although I hope to do a couple trips a year south as well).

Now, I realize its likely a bit late in the season for a warm-salt water only diver to start diving locally and I accept that, albeit with a heavy heart. That said, I'm hoping to find a good drysuit course I can take this winter to help me learn how to dive dry and then get in a few dives next year in rental drysuits before making the mental and financial commitment of acquiring one to call my own.

Of course, being completely new to the area(I'm not even Canadian), I'm also on the lookout for one or more good dive buddies to also help me learn and grow as a diver up here. Speaking of which, I'm living and working in downtown/west end dt Toronto. Of course, dive buddies that also want to dive together in Caribbean/MX/Central/South America are more than welcome too!

I currently dive a hog style bp/w but its an aluminum plate and a small wing, so I'm planning to pick up a new one with a ss plate and a larger wing sometime before spring(maybe at the gear swap in April).

Sorry for the long rant, but I haven't been diving in almost a month and I'm already jonesing bad!

Looking forward to meeting and diving with you,

Jesse

Hello Jesse

Welcome to Ontario/Toronto.. I do not live in TO but am actively diving year round with several other cold water divers. You are more than welcome to join in on any dives. I was diving this past weekend and water was 10C. There were 2 divers that completed 3 dives on Sunday in wet suits. We had a small trailer for them to change in so they could get in out of the wind. All had a great day. Warm drinks between dives.
If you plan your dives and prepare for some cold weather you might enjoy getting back into the water this time of year. A drysuit is the way to go to enjoy year round diving, but many dive in wet suits. You could get in some wet dives this time of year. I would recommend you might start with a single dive in a cold water wet suit in an area where you can get out of the weather to rewarm nearby.
The water will get much colder as the winter approaches but personally think diving conditions now(October/November) are better than the spring (March/April)

Enjoy your diving

Wow......21°C to Toronto at the end of October. I have seen Humber Bay (pictures are actually of Cedar Hill in Wiarton) hit 7°C in the middle of August depending on currents and turnover. I know you can do it, however I would not plan on doing a lot of diving the first time out. Even at the height of summer water, 21°C is not all that common on the surface. At depth (depending on depth and currents/flow/thermoclines), you can usually expect 5°C to 9°C temperatures. That is cold water and while it is done all the time in a wetsuit, it is very cold. I would suggest taking some time to acclimate yourself to the temperatures. Do several shallow dives (Humber Bay would be a great spot for both depth and location for you) while you get used to the restricted movement, sometimes claustrophobic feeling from all the heavy neoprene and gear and the still very cold water.

I do not get out in Toronto often (and will not likely for the rest of this year) but would be glad to get out with you at some point when I do.

Do you have a car? A car will open up many more dives - some great and some just fun. Gullivers is a cess pool but does get warm quickly and does hit 28+ later in the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom