Why isn't the Freedom Plate DIR compliant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your plates are gorgeous, Eric!

I passed Fundies and Recreational Tri-ox in 2006, and those were my last GUE courses. Training did include using a 6cuft argon bottle for drysuit inflation. How would I attach an argon bottle to the Freedom plate?

That's the only thing that occurred to me after looking long and hard at your beautiful design.

~~~~~
Claudette

... How would I attach an argon bottle to the Freedom plate?...

Attach the argon cylinder to your back-gas cylinder with a pony bracket. It won't flop around that way. FYI, studies show that Argon suit inflation is not very effective.

I would agree that Argon is only an incremental benefit, but even air sure beats Trimix backgas when it comes to suit inflation. (You only make that mistake once!)

...To be honest, I fill my suit bottles with Argon when I can; otherwise, they get filled with air. I can't feel that much of a difference.

Hence the label:

Airgon.jpg

All the best, James

edit: I'm not sure about hard pony brackets, but I haven't found a soft pony strap setup that will hold an Al 6.

Last edited:
I would agree that Argon is only an incremental benefit, but even air sure beats Trimix backgas when it comes to suit inflation. (You only make that mistake once!)

...To be honest, I fill my suit bottles with Argon when I can; otherwise, they get filled with air. I can't feel that much of a difference…

I couldn’t agree more. You think Trimix is bad, try HeO2. I feel my teeth chattering already.

Last edited:
Oh! And to wrest this thread back on track (sorry, Eric, my bad) I will totally cosign on what Claudette said, your plates are works of art.

Cheers!

All the best, James

The only thing it can not do is mount doubles.

I would agree that Argon is only an incremental benefit, but even air sure beats Trimix backgas when it comes to suit inflation.

I'm guessing single tank trimix divers are a pretty small market ? :wink:

True that.

But it's more than one might expect, though. :)

All the best, James

That was the only other thing I forgot to mention was the fact about an argon bottle.
As Akimbo said, an X bracket takes care of that instantly, that is if someone chooses to use argon whist single tank diving.

I do appreciate all the flattering words about the plate, but I still want to know from a head honcho or at least from a person in the higher ups if it's DIR compliant, and if not why not?
And if it turns out that it's not, I want to know what I need to do to make it compliant to make it available to that diving community.
I think the DIR's could greatly benefit from the design in both streamlining and comfort.

Eric,
I suggest contacting Jarrod Jablonski directly at GUE if you desire the official answer.

GUE standardized cylinder management does not allow Bracketing of additional cylinders to one's back-gas cylinder(s).

I can envision a couple of ways of rigging an alternative drysuit inflation bottle to the Freedom plate using drilled holes and webbing.

A Fundies cert card includes the implied confirmation that the diver's skills, knowledge, and equipment are ready to proceed to Tech1 or Cave1 or other more advanced GUE courses.

For cold water and drysuit diving, an acceptable argon or airgon bottle attachment would be needed.

Call Jarrod and find the GUE answer from the source.

~~~~
Claudette

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom