Din or Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mac vs PC!!!
Din has its advantages, start up cost and availability are not necessarily one(s?) of them. Have the money? DIN is not a bad investment, if you don't you will get plenty of utility out of yoke. If you go Tech, you are going to hemorrhage money anyway....

Well .I'm stuck on whether I should go DIN or Yoke and do most regs come with a converter? CONFUSED!!!! .
The general flavor of response appears to favor DIN. I would support that. My first reg was DIN, most of my current regs are DIN. Therefore, I echo the recommendation to go DIN, IF the majority of dive ops where you will be primarily diving (? at home), offer DIN cylinders or cylinders with convertible valves. The suggestion to check in advance when traveling is a good one. While Andy is right - it is increasingly common for good dive ops to offer convertible cylinder valves - many are doing so when they need to replace a valve or cylinder, and I find that the change is coming slowly, at least in the western hemisphere.

If you go DIN, and need a yoke first stage because of travel, you have three options:

a) Use a converter: I am one of those divers who does not particularly like the DIN to yoke converter, for the reason stated - it pushes the first stage out enough to hit the back of my head, and I prefer my cylinder to be where I want it for trim, rather than changing the position to suit the adapter. I have taken one with me in the past when traveling to a 'yoke' country (e.g. Bonaire) but now I actually prefer to . . .
b) Swap out the DIN bolt for a yoke bolt, and the DIN wheel for an A clamp - I convert a DIN first stage to yoke for those trips where I know I will be using yoke. The conversion takes less than 60 seconds.
c) Have a second (yoke) first stage available and swap hoses from the DIN first stage to the yoke. I did this on one reg for my Bonaire trip in September. It takes a bit longer than converting the first stage, but is another option.

If you go DIN, you may have a little more flexibility when traveling because of the availability of converter. You won't regret the choice

+1 for DIN

I currently have three of each, some of my tanks still have standard K valves, I am slowly changing them all to DIN.

Recent trips this year to Lembeh and Anilao were not a problem as both resorts have DIN valves on their tanks with inserts to accommodate yolk first stages.

DIN first stages are also lighter and smaller than yolk equivalents.

1. DIN converts to yoke. Yoke doesn't convert to DIN.

:confused:

AQUDTA3.JPG

But, I still would say DIN :D

AQUDTA3.JPG

Unless someone can tell me otherwise, and I am open minded, this image is of a "for filling of tanks only" chunk of metal/adapter.
Every one of those things that I have seen, is stamped, "for filling of tanks only".
I would love to have one of them for diving use, as I have several DIN 300 BAR valved tanks, and would love that I might readily loan my friends that are "Yokels", these tanks.

Chug
Adaptive diver.

The above is for filling not diving. However, some mfg make a Yoke-to-DIN adapter for regulators.

Here is one which I used at one point : Sherwood Yoke to DIN 1st Stage Converter Adapter Travel - Others : House of Scuba

You remove the yoke nut and the A-clamp and put this on. Fairly simple to do and how many regs made into DIN. My old Mares MR12 also has the same set up.

These are by no means universal like a DIN-to-Yoke adaptor (i.e. they can be mfg specific and regulator specific). Most recently I have only seen these for Mares and Sherwood regs and are getting harder to find.

Others require replacing the complete Yoke assembly with a DIN assembly which is more common today.
acc429.jpg

AQUDTA3.JPG

Please don't confuse a fill adapter with something that can be used while diving. Fill adapters are limited to use on land to fill a tank with a DIN valve using a yoke whip. They are NOT intended or safe to use for diving. If the valve is a 5-thread 200 bar DIN valve, then a yoke plug can be inserted and you can dive the tank with a yoke reg.. If it is a 7-thread 300 bar valve, then a plug can not be used, and if it is on a 3500 psi tank then it isn't safe to use a yoke A-clamp anyway.

Please do not use the pictured adapter for diving.

I dive both but prefer DIN due to the safer connection. I've had a number of yoke o-rings fail over the years but never a DIN one. With my DIN-yo-yole converter I can dive any tank.

Well I'm about to go and start buying my gear...I'm stuck on whether I should go DIN or Yoke and do most regs come with a converter? CONFUSED!!!! .... I know there have been previous posts on here about this, I just want a simplified version as I am just starting out. I live in Australia with planned dives to Fiji at Christmas and Thailand in June. Thanks in advance!

din is the best
yoke is second best.

most dive centers will have din tanks that can be converted to the old yoke style if required.

DINs are superior also for diving in and around kelp.

My reg is DIN and when I travel to a yoke-only location, I just change over the first stage. Takes less than five minutes, including looking for my tools (Only need a 1/4" Allen wrench and an adjustable wrench).

Back
Top Bottom