KnightHawk BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you tilting forward at the surface, or while horizontal during a dive?
In both condition emma but in surface more.

---------- Post added October 15th, 2013 at 04:44 PM ----------

Depends how much weight you have and where it is. If you're using a weightbelt, your body is negative and the BCD is positive, so you tend to fall through the BCD- especially if it is too large. Often people are wearing BCDs that are a size too big IMO.

With integrated weights, the BCD is more balanced by the two opposing forces.

The initial post stated that the OP didn't like a jacket-style because it squeezed when totally inflated. You shouldn't have to totally inflate any BCD while recreational diving. As someone pointed out above, you should try to lie back at the surface so the BCD bladder is underneath you- this requires you to stabilise yourself using your hips or fin movement. It'll come with practice.

The trim-pockets are excellent and I wouldn't buy a BCD without them. Don't overload them, but use them and you'll really see a difference to your trim underwater. On the surface, they may only add to your problem... which IMO comes from over-inflating the BCD.
Thanks I am 105 kg and using XL size it is oversize on shoulder area but fit round of my wrist. I am using 24 lb weight. Till now i was putting all of them on my bcd weight pocket but i am planing to put 10 at trim pocket and rest at my weight pocket to get better balance. Do you think this distribution is ok?

Note ... if you put any weight in the trim pockets, it will change your trim while horizontal in the water due to them being more forward (higher up) on your body ... this will tilt you forward more
.. I cant put any weight there for that reason ... and I dont trim my knighthawk for staying on the surface

on surface inflate only as much as needed, and if you do need it fully inflated for waves/traveling on surface, you can swim out on your back

I had the face forward issue with the Knighthawk BC during OW training. I hated the feeling so bad I went with a full jacket BC as well. I tried a BP&W in a pool about 6 months ago and immediately wanted to change BC's. Now that I have a BP&W I have learned like others have mentioned to NOT inflate any more than necessary to stay at the surface. I found that laying back on on my wing works just like everybody has said it does. Good with getting dialed in, once you do you will love the back inflate setup. I find that it is much easier to dive than a full jacket.

I had the same problem with my NightHawk until I adjusted it one size smaller and moved 2+2lbs out of 28 to the trim pockets. All the difference in the world. Of course, you could wear a weight belt instead and adjust the weights any way you want so that you don't carry too much non-ditchable weight.

I had the same issue with mine. Drop the tank down a little and the problem will be solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom