Silicone or latex for pronounced wrist tendons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As per title, I'm in the process of finalizing a drysuit order. It's a Whites Fusion Tech. If my understanding is correct the SLT system comes with silicone seals. I think I read latex seals were better for people with pronounced wrist tendons which mine are. I'm pretty skinny. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

---------- Post added October 20th, 2013 at 06:14 AM ----------

I have been trying to make contact with Whites for some weeks but they don't answer.

Neither...dry gloves?

All the best, James

There won't be a better answer!

Reactions: Jax
I have not used silicone seals, but latex absolutely did not work on my pronounced wrist tendons. I got the pull-over dry glove system from Dive Right In Scuba and have had dry arms ever since. Dry gloves definitely fall into the "Why did I wait so long?" category of must-have purchases :)

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Cheers for the replies all. Ok dry gloves it is. But I still have to decide silicone or latex I have a neck that is pencil like. I have very small hands and note the whites dry gloves list medium as the smallest, I usually wear XS wet gloves. Cheers.

---------- Post added October 20th, 2013 at 10:12 AM ----------

I have not used silicone seals, but latex absolutely did not work on my pronounced wrist tendons. I got the pull-over dry glove system from Dive Right In Scuba and have had dry arms ever since. Dry gloves definitely fall into the "Why did I wait so long?" category of must-have purchases :)

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Did you find the silicone any better or both equally unsuitable? What size pull over gloves did you get? Do you have the SLT system? Do you need the plastic wrist rings for the pull over gloves? I often have trouble with sizes for most things due to my size 5'7" and around 115lbs exacerbated by the fact that I need to buy most gear online.

Silicone grease on the seals, then electrical tape to tape them to you. the light coat of grease keeps the electrical tape from tearing the seals. :)

Cheers for the replies all. Ok dry gloves it is. But I still have to decide silicone or latex I have a neck that is pencil like. I have very small hands and note the whites dry gloves list medium as the smallest, I usually wear XS wet gloves. Cheers.

---------- Post added October 20th, 2013 at 10:12 AM ----------

Did you find the silicone any better or both equally unsuitable? What size pull over gloves did you get? Do you have the SLT system? Do you need the plastic wrist rings for the pull over gloves? I often have trouble with sizes for most things due to my size 5'7" and around 115lbs exacerbated by the fact that I need to buy most gear online.
TSandM has really small hands. Ask her what she uses. I believe she uses the Viking dry glove system.
I just converted to the Diving Concept dry gloves but I've yet to have a chance to try them in the pool to see how I like them. They seem to be awfully difficult to remove and replace. If not the Viking gloves, I'd recommend checking into the Kubi dry rings because I've heard they run really small and then getting the blue gloves from a local hardware store. I believe Harbor Freight or Home Depot will carry the blue gloves that you need for less than $5.00 in all sizes. Than you just need some surplus or skiing polar fleece or wool gloves which aren't expensive, either.
Without the gloves, you will constantly have wet arms, or at least I do. You will need to be very careful not to flex your hands in order not to have wet arms.

I have heard silicone seals are better for pronounced tendons, was talking to a DUI rep about this yesterday in fact. I have not tried them personally, however.

What has been amazing *for me* is the bottle-shaped vs. cone shaped. Don't know if they are an option on White's.

Personally I use the SiTech Quick Glove system, TS & M uses the Viking bayonets and is very happy with them. <shrugs> Sniff around and look at other folk's stuff and decide.

I absolutely would NOT buy the gloves as a package deal with the rings. They are invariably heavily overpriced!

The definitive place to get the "glove part" for your dry gloves is Seattle Marine & Fishing Supply (also known as SeaMar). Their glove page is here, as you can see they are amazingly expensive :) at $3.96 for a pair of 660's.

The 660's (blue) are triple-dipped and are quite durable and cut resistant, but you lose some flexibility especially in really cold water. The 620's (orange) are only double-dipped, and more flexible, albeit with less durability...these are what I use, and they typically last me 3 seasons.

IIRC the Fusion can be ordered from the factory with dry glove rings installed, which is less hassle than aftermarket installs.

All the best, James

Thanks again for the replies.

James, cheers, I'll do a little more investigating and yes buying the gloves in a package makes it pretty spendy.

Tracydr, have PMed Lynne.

Jax, which seals do you use?

Katepnati, interesting, DRIS said the opposite. I'll look into what shape is offered, so for you the bottle shaped seals work better?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom