Is it possible to autofocus with 2 Inon 165M67 lenses on a G11?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matador

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello there,

I am looking forward to a Lempeh trip in a couple of weeks and I bought myself 2 Inon 165 lenses in order to work a bit more on my macro skills. I have read about the difficulty of focusing with 2 lenses stuck up but after doing a few tests above water this looks just impossible. There was no chance in hell the camera would focus using autofocus. I didn't try to use manual focus but it didn't seem an easy task either and having to do that underwater would be even more difficult. Even if you spend a while trying to get the focus right manually I doubt you will know whether your shot was in focus or not until you are above water.

Is this actually how this is supposed to work or am I missing something here? I.e. using two stuck up lenses with autofocus will never work and it has to be manual focusing only?

I have no issues focusing with one lenses and the results actually look pretty good. Maybe I am asking two much from my G-11 and I believe that I will be more than happy with the results of just one macro lense but I would be keen to go the extra step even this isn't much of a difference as shown here: INON Close-up Lens UCL-165M67 [Overview].7

thanks

I used double macro Inons (bayonet mounts - much quicker and easier to put on and off) with my FIX UW case and G11 all the time. Yes it is hard to get the little buggers in focus. Someone told me to try manual focus - set it and move the camers (very little) until the critter is in focus. I was able to capture pigmy seahorses etc. You can check my Flickr photos. After a while you get used to what subject size will need the two or one diopters or sometimes just going for part of your subject with both. I have now moved into an Olympus OMD set up. My vision is getting more and more nearsighted and I can no longer see view screens clearly so I will be using a Nauticam 45degree viewfinder now.

I used to shoot an G9 w/ dual Inon diopters, and I always used autofocus. The depth of field is very limited, so you'll need to snap lots of shots to get a few good ones, but it does work.

Here's a few shots I took with that setup:

Anchient_Mariner_-_Scubatyme_06-17-2008_052aa_-_Resized.jpg

Anchient_Mariner_-_Scubatyme_06-17-2008_025a_-_Resized.jpg

IMG_4760-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom