Suggestions for manatee snorkeling in Crystal River?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FettSolo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,

My g/f and I were thinking of doing a weekend in Florida (sometime between now and March) to snorkel with manatees. I have poked around, and Crystal River seems to be the place to do it. Any suggestions as to a particular operator?

Otherwise, any suggestions as to places to see, good restaurants, other fun stuff in the area, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've done the trip with American Pro. Since you are a diver as well, they can take you on a dive into King's spring/cavern after you're done w/ the snorkel. A snorkel or drift dive down the Rainbow river is a fun afternoon trip as well

Keep an eye on the gulf temp. 30 days after the gulf drops to mid 70's, call to book trip. Mid 70's will trigger the groups in the coastal area around the mouth of the river to move up toward the bay. Give them 30 days to get accustomed to the new behaviors. You'll stack the deck in your favor for a better chance of an encounter. ALWAYS try to come during the week when most people are in school or at work. Choose an operator that will focus on education and put a guide in the water. How much you learn will be in relation to the Captain you get, some are good and take the job of being a tour guide and educator seriously, other are only a driver to the sites. Plantation has an on staff naturalist. There is another operator that works with manatee rescue. You'll probably learn the most from either of these operators.

You'll want to take 3-4 hours to make a visit to the Homassassa wildlife park. You might be interested in the archeological site just outside town. Neon Leon's and the Freezer in Old Homossassa are both local hangouts.

You want to avoid diving at the main spring till the majority of manatee move out of the area to forage for the day, usually 9-10am. Afternoon dives at the main spring are less disruptive to the manatee. Most of the operators comply with the suggestions made by the refugee, one tends not to. Check out the META group. The requirement for being in the group are sometimes stricter than Refuge rules.

Don't know if they still do, but American Pro use to offer the Manatee Specialty Class (PADI) after the dive. It was short but very educational (and fairly cheap).

The colder the air temp, the better for the manatees. It's been 5 years but my daughter and I did crystal and rainbow with Birds, Weeki Wachi and Epcot living seas on the way home Might have to go again as she's a senior this year and wants to go out of state for college.

While I was interested in going with Birds, they were (sadly) already booked the one weekend in January that I have time to go. I booked a hotel-and-tour package deal with Plantation. Good impressions so far; their customer service has been excellent.

For photography, any suggestions on best focal length for photographing these lovely manatees? I would think something on the wider side...

I dove with Pro three days. One time with the Crystal River/ King Springs trip. One time on Rainbow river. The other over at Homosassa.

Both were enjoyable but Homosassa was special. As you may know the place you scratch a manatee is essentially the breast area so it is an erogenous zone. My understanding is that several males will follow a female around rubbing her until there is a chosen winner.

Anyway everybody was back out of the water except myself. I was gently scratching this big female who had rolled partially over and seemed to be getting into it. Next thing I know 4 or 5 adult manatees rose around and under me. I did not touch anything as you are supposed to but I was carried along for several minutes on a raft of rubbing snuggling manatees. Finally they sank from sight. I figure that I started the orgy and somewhere there may be a baby manatee that owes its life to me. :cool2:

My wife is a bubble watcher. She saw manatees on both trips. On Homosassa a baby came right up next to the boat and interacted with her. She also enjoyed the rainbow river drift dive. Said it was a pretty boat ride. Water is extremely clear and she could watch the divers.

I stayed at the Plantation last month for a couple of days. Nice place. I ate breakfasts across the street at Grannys(sp)?. Great local establishment.

I enjoyed the Rainbow River drift dive. The viz at Kings Cavern, at the time, was poor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom