Sidemount with back mounted deco gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Easy to do with Hollis SMS 100. Any compelling reason not to? Seems easier to manage. (Open Water)

Off the top of my head, it would be harder to verify gas switches. Not impossible by any means but harder.

Because there is absolutely no point in it. What is the purpose of it? What would it solve? I can only think of problems this could cause. For the life of me I can not think of 1 advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Because there is absolutely no point in it. What is the purpose of it? What would it solve? I can only think of problems this could cause. For the life of me I can not think of 1 advantage.

My thoughts exactly.. But you said it a lot nicer than I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jax
What James K said!

Sidemount can give advantages when it comes to streamlining, easing weight on the knees/back and passing smaller restrictions, otherwise back mounted doubles is a more solid configuration for most applications.

To be blunt, using sidemount backgas with back mounted deco gas just seems like a stupid idea to try and be different. It takes away almost all the beneifets of sidemount, I can only hope you are thinking single deco gas dives here so I assume the gas volume is negligible - so why put that on your back? If it's multiple gas deco dives you are talking about and you can't see a problem with putting these on your back I would seriously worry.

Have you considered using the deco gases side slung with the bottom gas on your back?

1) No need to stack bottles on your side.
2) Which should make it easier to get back up the ladder.

1) No need to stack bottles on your side.
2) Which should make it easier to get back up the ladder.

1. You still have your side mounted tanks on your side.

2. Just hand your deco bottles up to the boat or hook them to a drop line.

I seriously think you are just trolling. You can not seriously think this is a good idea.

Reactions: Tug
If you're gonna back-mount, then that's the place for your bottom gas. Deco gas has to remain in a location where the physical cylinder markings can be confirmed as part of a standardized gas-switch procedure. I've never met a diver with sufficient neck mobility to permit that with back-mounted deco cylinders.

Pay heed to gas-switch protocols... they keep you alive.

Easy to do with Hollis SMS 100. Any compelling reason not to? Seems easier to manage. (Open Water)

OK, OK... own up. What have you been smoking.

This is an inane idea and your reasoning (not stacking bottles, and easier to get onto the boat) suggests you have not spoken to a SM instructor... or someone who actually has some background in SM... and/or that your deco bottle is not configured as it should be.

And the warnings already voiced should be reason enough NOT to attempt this. Deco gas is the most likely to freeflow (at least in my limited experience) so why put the controls where they are hidden and inaccessible?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom