HOG drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone dived, or know someone that dives, a HOG drysuit?

I am getting serious about buying a drysuit, I know I need a custom fit (6'6", 225 lbs) and I have tried DUI and Whites Fusion. Loved the DUI. But gosh they are expensive! HOG also offers custom suits, but without a direct connection at least to a third party that knows them, it seems kind of a crapshoot to buy one for $1050.

Thanks,

Bill

I recently went for the custom fitted Hog suit and have a few mixed feelings….

The suit quality for the price is very good, it’s a bi-laminate suit but is very well made and put together. However, I was a little disappointed on the sizing to the point where I almost returned it – the only reason I didn’t is the time and cost with shipping the suit back and forward; I’m based in the Philippines but sourced the suit from the Hog distributor in Taiwan so had to pay import duties on the original and didn’t want to get stung for more.

I provided full measurements for the suit but all seem to be very generous in the final fit, I’d specifically asked for a close fit as the suit if for warm water so very little underwear, the legs were very long and the boots seem to allow for very thick undergarments to be used to the net result is I need to use gaiters and two sets of neoprene socks to feel comfortable in the suit.

It’s going back for a major refit shortly so I’m hoping the legs can be sorted out, the torso isn’t too bad but is still a lot looser than I’d prefer – basically I think it’s a very large off the shelf suit with some minor modification added rather than custom suit. I have two friends here who has similar problems with their Hog/Edge suits also.

Sizing apart I think it’s a great suit, just be very careful in the fitting as the suit selection seems to be very generous. It’s actually a USIA Techniflex suit as far as I know so their website and reviews should give you a few more ideas (https://usia.com/shop/techniflex/)

Karl

I have been diving a HOG suit for almost three years now. I have had several.ordered with custom sizing for customers with no complaints about fit. It distresses me to hear of the problems with yours. How does the actual sizing of yours compare with the stock sizes listed? Are you sure the dealer sent in the right info and who.measured you for your suit? I have a couple ways of doing it based on what you tell me the suit will be used for. Ie what conditions. And are you certain the sizing sheet was filled out correctly? I have to ask as again I have never had a problem with a custom that I ordered. I just had new seals put on mine after nearly 300 dives. Other than that I have had no issues other than a small leak on one boot seam that was fixed promptly and at no.charge as it was considered a seam and there is a lifetime warranty on seams. And the suit did have around 125 dives or so when.that happened and though I take care of my suit I do not baby it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

If I get a custom suit, say HOG, BARE, or DUI for that matter, and I am unhappy with the fit, what is the likely remediation (if any)?

Same question as to leaks. If I get a new suit and it continually leaks, then what? Can all leaks be fixed?

- Bill

If it's too big it can be altered easily. Too small not so much. If the suit is made as ordered and to the measurements you supply who is responsible for that? It may still be possible to alter it at some cost. If they screw up.they make it over. If you simply don't like the fit and it was made correctly you can always try to sell it. What does your car dealer say after you've put a hundred miles on and then tell him you don't like the color? A drysuit is a big investment. Fit is critical. But know this. At some point, in some position, you will not like how the suit reacts, it will feel too big, too small, too warm, not warm enough. The next ten dives you will wonder what you were complaining about. Then on dive number twenty when you change undies, bc, fins, etc. again it will be the suit. Not really. But you get the idea. I know people say they love their suits. But at some point, even if it's only once, they will cuss it.

---------- Post added October 10th, 2013 at 08:23 PM ----------

If I get a custom suit, say HOG, BARE, or DUI for that matter, and I am unhappy with the fit, what is the likely remediation (if any)?

Same question as to leaks. If I get a new suit and it continually leaks, then what? Can all leaks be fixed?

- Bill

Leaks can be fixed. Not all of them if they are caused by the way you use the suit. Your wrists can cause a leak. Looking up and stretching your neck can get a nice trickle down your spine or chest. Don't close the zipper all the way and you'll soon find out!

I'm happy with the one that I bought from the guy that posted above me. (hey Jim) It is a little liberal in sizing but I wanted plenty of room for cold water undergarments. I don't see why slightly large is an issue. The actual size of the suit, in the water, is controlled by the undergarment and the volume of gas allowed into it. That's as long as it's close. Mine is a touch long, which I can adjust with the torso strap. The rest of it, water pressure takes care of, as long as I control the gas volume in the suit. How much can a fold in the suit bother how streamlined that you are?

If I can't control the gas volume inside the suit, I don't need to be diving a drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom