After the No-See-Ums bite you... what then?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm no doctor, so take my advice at your own risk.

But I was bitten big time by no-see-ums. Two weeks later they are still itchy as hell, some have begun to dry up. I admit that I did scratch them like mad especially in my sleep.
I have tried using the benedril spray and gel, but that only works for a very short time.
Benedril pills work a little longer about 2-3 hours but they make me drowsy as all heck.
1% cortisone again works but not great and doesnt last long.
Calamine lotion is basically useless.

My magic cure:
Lamasil - the athletes foot cream. Instant lasting relief!

Hope it works for you!!! Oh and remember my first sentence I posted!

They didn't even itch while I was in Roatan. After week a week at home, they itch like a SOB. Oh well, it was worth it. Everytime I scratch, it remindes me of a good vacation. Just a different way of looking at it.

I'm still confused about the Nazonex recommendation. I understand that there is a steroid in it but assumed it was target specific (nasal passages). So? Does it work on the bites by spraying it in your nose or do you drip some onto the itch?

I'm still confused about the Nazonex recommendation. I understand that there is a steroid in it but assumed it was target specific (nasal passages). So? Does it work on the bites by spraying it in your nose or do you drip some onto the itch?

You can q-tip dab it on to the bite. The way-more cost effective method is:

Benadryl, as stated above, makes people drowsy and lets you snooze thru that afternoon dive :(

This steroidal ointment is a highly localized application. Not sure why you would ingest a systemic prophylaxis (Benadryl, etc) in advance of a bite. If you take it after a bite, the desired effect may kick-in after 24 hours.

The great thing about our message boards is that is open to all great suggestions and ideas. I do, however, absolutely know that this cream is perfectly and instantly effective. I have tried it myself and on 30+ other itching, scratching SCUBA divers.

The no-see-um bite that shows itself days after your return home? It may be a bug you brought in your luggage or clothing. Do not ignore these after-trip naggers... the bites can still become horribly infected if you open the skin... they can even go bad if you leave them alone. This is nothing short of serious.

Again, I know that the Fluocinonide Cream works. Rub garlic on yourself and hop on one foot, if you feel that might work.

An unusual observation... we were at cocoview a month ago and by the end of the week I noticed another guest looked like he'd been devoured! I didn't have a single bite! We had taken some kind of spray with us but I never used it. The only thing that I can think of is the old myth(maybe not so mythical) about eating lots of garlic. I drown everything in garlic and onions...Yummy! Eat more Italian! and you may not have to worry about what to use after.

#1 Poision Ivy pre-exposure protection... "Ivy Block" Sold at most drug stores.\
post-exposure... Wash contaminated area with soap and water as quickly as possible.
If your directly exposed and allergic in 30-45 minutes the skin will begin to react to ivy oils

#2 Biting creatures and no-seeums... "Skin So Soft- Expedition Bug Guard"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom