Mid October in southern Thailand - east or west coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

takepaak

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

My girlfriend and me are currently checking out where to go for the south part of our Thailand trip. Comming from Singapore, we will likely spend a day or 5/6 in the south of Thailand before we go up to the north of Thailand. Taking into account seasonal infuences (both above and below the surface) which coast (east / west) would be the best option. Limited internet research seems to suggest that the west coast seems the better one, but there are various contradicting opinions (as allways, I guess).

I myself am have an advance certification and my girlfriend will likely stay with snorking, although she's OW. So land based activities need to be taken into account as well.

Any tips/ suggestions are well appreciated.

Cheers,
Taco

Hey Taco--you're talking about tomorrow? October 5? For just one day before you head north? I guess Phuket is your best option since if you go to the Gulf area, you'll spend your whole time available just getting in and out by ferry. To Phuket you can go by road at least, so you're not limited by ferry schedules.

Not just mid October, any time of year west coast diving is far superior.

The West coast is definitely the better diving but the reason your getting mixed reviews is because the weather in October is generally mixed. The monsoons begin to switch over at this time of year so it's very unpredictable. At the moment it's quite wet in Phuket but the boats are still getting to the dive sites with no issues.

I'd be sticking to the west coast as well...Weather 'yes' can be unpredictable at this time of the year but I think it would be a better choice. As well as Phuket diving the Similan Islands National Park opens up officially on October 15 although day trips, if you want to be base yourself on land, will be going out only when they've reached enough guests to make it worth while in a monetary way. So Phuket would probably be a better option for you guys...

Perhaps I was not very clear Quero. We will be in the south from approx October 15 until October 21. So I should have a couple of days diving unless I am put on a leash prematurely :wink: Any way, thanks for the input, seems that we will be heading to the west-coast. Any preferences there? I was considering Ko lanta in the south or Khao Lak further north.

Again thanks for you input, its well appreciated.
Taco

No problem. I was confused by the 'or' and thought it might be a typo for 'of' or 'on'. Sorry not to understand what you meant!

How are you traveling? Lanta is very nice, and you would fly into Krabi airport, ideally, to go there. The diving and the snorkeling at Koh Haa is very good. If your air tickets are to Phuket, then Khao Lak would make more sense. The Similans opens to visitors two weeks early this year, on Oct 15, so you could do a speedboat daytrip for diving/snorkeling, if you wished. Daytrip diving from Lanta will be somewhat less expensive, though, if that's a concern.

No worries Quero. We will come from Singapore and we are pretty much flexible (no flights/ hotels arranged yet). I did spot that some dive operators are closed until half November in the area of Ko Lanta. Any thoughts on that. In addition, any idea what would be the approx cost of a day private diving to the more remote locations?

Thanks taco

I'll be in krabi (Ao Nang) next week diving with Poseidon 15-17 Oct. for diving. Looking forward to a few boat dives. I hear Leo the leopard shark is back... Could be fun. My gf is not a diver. If we can meet up the girls might be able to hang out while we boat dive.... :wink:

Last edited:
No worries Quero. We will come from Singapore and we are pretty much flexible (no flights/ hotels arranged yet). I did spot that some dive operators are closed until half November in the area of Ko Lanta. Any thoughts on that. In addition, any idea what would be the approx cost of a day private diving to the more remote locations?

Thanks taco
Taco, on Koh Lanta, some ops do close until the season starts, but there are many that are still open. You will be able to find dives, no problem. Cost of 'private' dives? I guess it depends on what you mean by 'private.' If you are going to charter a boat just for yourself, be prepared to spend a lot of money. If you mean you want to hire a private DM for the day, then it will be a reasonable amount, maybe a quarter to half the cost of a regular daytrip plus the standard daytrip rate.

Back
Top Bottom