How are the reefs in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andreau

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone been to Bonaire in the last year?

I'm planning a trip and Bonaire is on of my groups chosen locations. I've been doing some research and I've read a lot about algae covering many of the reefs and that the reefs have been over fished. Also I heard they had a storm a couple of years ago and it killed off a bunch of corals.

Anyone that has been there recently that can describe their experience would be a big help.

I was there this month and saw no algae. I mainly dove southern sites, so cannot comment on the far north sites.

We stayed at Den Laman and dove with their on site dive operation Bonaire Dive and Adventure. Other than having a third floor room, I loved it.

Was there about a month ago & they did not impress me........My 1st & last trip there......

My wife and I were there three times this year, most recently during 10 days in August. The underwater biology of Bonaire is impressive for the Caribbean. We kept a log of fish species seen, each identified from our own photographs. We are relatively novice fish identifiers, but we saw about 150 species, the majority on Bari Reef (and we have hundreds more to go, just on Bari Reef). As to the red algae, it waxes and wanes, being present at some sites on one trip, then absent the next. The underwater visibility, the fish numbers, their variety and the ease of access to them are major reasons why Bonaire continues to such an attractive destination for divers.

I have not been back to Bonaire since 2009 . Definately back then the reefs around populated areas were bad . Andrea in particular . Thick algae and depleted coral .
I went before and after the hurricane , the shallows were all but wiped out .
Fish populations were great , although big stuff was getting harder to find due to fishing . Locals fish the reefs regularly .
The southern sites were awesome . Healthy corals and lots of fish . North of Bopec were also very good .
The diver freedom is the draw and trumps any reef conditions . Ease of access is also huge . Almost as easy as diving a liveaboard if you are use to shore diving .
My first trip there was 2006 , I have to say I was disapointed in the reefs back then , mainly due to all the hype I had heard before I went there . Cozumel Reefs and Grand Turk Wall make Bonaire reefs look very ordinary in my opinion .
However , I would return in a minute ... diver freedom rules

I was there last week and was happy with what I saw. The reefs were healthy and the diving was great. From what the locals tell me the reefs are getting better and better every year. They just aren't too thrilled with the Dutch Gov't :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom