Hosed or Hoseless, computer questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am currently looking for a tech computer and have read a ton of threads on all the tech forums, and really haven't had this question answered yet. Is it better to have a transmitter from the tank to the computer or to have no transmitter and use the manual pressure devices, or go hosed or hoseless. I have seen multiple computers and the only one that does not have the transmitter, at least what I have seen, is the Dive Rite NiTek Q. That computer really looks good and has so much upgradeability with low cost (I know this is relative), but all the others are great. I want a OLED display. I like the fact I don't have to press a button each time I want to look at my computer in the dark. It really, I mean REALLY, gets annoying. Right now my computer is not transmitter capable. I have a cheap TUSA. It worked for what I needed it for. I know that I need backups and it will NOT work as a backup. Sometimes I wonder if it will die on me on my next dive! Basically, I need to know if tech divers prefer the hoseless features of a transmitter compatible dive computer, or if it actually just gives another part that could fail when you have to breath 200 ft down and Murphy steps in. I can see both sides of the argument so, I'm giving the tech diving public a chance to chime in before I purchase a computer.

I'm not a tech diver yet, but i think i can sum up what responses you'll get.

Wireless transmitters arent looked on favorably, primarily as they are considered a failure point. Use a Brass & Glass SPG clipped off to your waste.

Computer, get a Shearwater Petrel

Beaverdiver will suggest a Scuba-Pro product.

More or less what JohnoAU said.

You probably don't want an OLED display: despite being very nice, they have slightly worse resolution than the current full color LCD displays (I think the contrast and blacks may be a :censored: hair better than LCD, though) and aren't any more visible in low/no viz/light conditions...plus they cost a lot more, and seem to be worse about washing out in brighter sunlight. A few years ago they were hands down the best display on the market, so to Hell with the extra cost, but that first bit is no longer true. And yes, I've owned and dove multiple brands of OLED computer. I now have a pair of Petrels and the LCD displays are better; HW computers seem to have excellent LCD displays, too, but I've never dove one myself.

There have been a lot of reports of issues with the NiTek Q, and one of my dive buddies recently traded hers in for a Shearwater. Still, there have also been a lot of happy people diving them and a few (apparently just those who could show up at the DiveRite factory in person, but you are in FL...) happy with DR's service/support. Me, I'm not diving anything with a USB plug that has to be properly seated to avoid flooding the computer.

Here is the song you should be singing. Where am I now? Where will I be in 2 years? Get a wrist mounted puter that can be put in gauge mode, a bottom timer, and cut tables. Tech intro level 1 mantra/mandate for most agencies.
Eric

I love oled/led displays that said, they are not needed and most agencies teach tech dives to be conducted with a bottom timer or a computer that has a gauge mode. Your deco information should already be known before you hit the water. The only reason for getting an OLED computer is if you also wanted to use it for rec diving as well.

My short list would be
Liquivision XEN (BT and stopwatch only)
Liquivision XEO (Computer, BT and stopwatch)
Shearwater Petrel (Computer, BT and stopwatch)

I use a Shearwater in gauge mode and VPM-B mode, my regular team mate uses a XEN for tech and a nitek duo for rec. Another good dive buddy uses the XEO for both rec and technical dives.

Get something simple.

Standard issue SPG and a uwatec bottom timer is excellent. You can do pretty much any dive with that combo. No need for a computer.

Xen is quite nice, but it requires a bit more maintenance (batteries, for instance) than the Uwatec and its way more expensive. Unless you really WANT something fancy (and the associated hassle), stick with a cheap, simple, reliable option.

Go with a simple and reliable option and get a Shearwater.

Aaron;

I am 1 dive away from completing my IANTD full tech cave.

1. KISS - keep it simple stupid. in the tech environment the idea is to reduce failure points and to dive the same profile as the other divers in your group. tech diving means you will be bouncing you tanks off rocks and wrecks when doing restricted penetrations so anything sticking out is subject to getting smashed.

so a simple SPG on a high pressure hose clipped to your left hip D ring is the standard configuration. some guys will move the SPG to their chest during the dive to make it easier to read.

2. during a lights out drill in a cave you will be amazed how much light you can get off your OLED computer. it's the only way to go. I personally dive a Nitek Q as a primary, and an N2ition as my backup. you want an OLED as a primary as tech diving will tend to take you beyond the light zone on most dives.

when performing tech dives you will need to dive with 2 computers or a computer, a timing device and the decompression table for the dive. it's part of the redundancy planning.

you also need to take into account the number of gas switches that will be required for the diving you are doing. in a shallow cave you can have you O2, your stage gas, and then your back gas. as you move to deep dives you will also have your 50/50 deco gas and travel gas for decent/ascent. with that said a 4 or 5 gas computer is a good investment.

as you go into tech find a good technical dive instructor who does the type diving you want to do, not just teach. there are things you learn from doing that no class can ever teach you and that is the extra knowledge that could save your life.

hope this helps, but always remember, dive within your training...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Keeping is simlple is really the way to go. I have found that with transmitters they usually protrude the wrong direction from the first stage. any overhead makes this less than desireable. On my reg that i use a transmitter i attach it like a spg.... on the end of a hp hose. Nothing beats a simple spg. For the computer users that like to have neet stuff for the desktop display a transmitter is definately a plus. I am one that swore for years on the plusses of an air integrated computer. I still believe in computers and i think that integrated is a great way to go for relative newer divers. Once you can predict what your integrated computer is about to tell you you no longer need it. My puter tells me remaining time and what it is based on ndl air in tank ect. after a while you dont really care remaining air is just that. i use now a predator. it tells me how much time to surface and i compare it with my spg and calculate remaining time. after a while you just get to know thta x psi at x depth is x minutes remaining time. That and a relativly acurate dive plan to start is all you need. Price wise my integrated compuer is 700-1000 the predator is 1100 ish. For me the forfieting of the integration is nmore than made up with the ease of use of the predator. One day you wont need a puter at all. I am not thier yet. Never plan to be and will always use a puter as a backup opinion.

We have been tracking failure of High Pressure( HP ) hoses ( dive computers w/ HP hoses & SPG's ) against failure of hoseless dive computers. The HP hoses are failing at about the same low rate as the transmitters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom