Equipment Question (noobie)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before someone tells you different there's no such thing as a coldwater BC. Any BC will work in warm or cold water. What needs to be considered is how much lift it has vs the other gear you will be using and amount of weight you need.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I know my cousin is using nitrox tanks, and they are pretty heavy... I also think he is using the Zeagle Ranger, and an older zeagle regulator

Regarding your fin selection, I'd recommend looking into paddle instead of split fins. Here is some info on the subject.

As far as BC's you won't need to replace, a Backplate and wing will last you a very long time, and its compact, streamlined nature makes it a good choice for spear fishing. Here's the write-up.

Well i think i rather get a regular jacket style BC, since im sure ill be doing alot of nondestructive diving before spearfish... how is the the Computer: Zeagle N2iTiON 3
and Regulator: Zeagle Flathead 7

Well i think i rather get a regular jacket style BC, since im sure ill be doing alot of nondestructive diving before spearfish
I am a bit confused by this statement. I don't understand what you mean by 'nondestructive' diving. And, I don't see the particular advantage (or disadvantage) of a jacket. You initially asked about a Zeagle Ranger, which is not a jacket BCD, and which I would not particularly recommend for single cylinder diving (although it is a very nice BCD - my first BCD was a Ranger, and I still have it). So, why do you think you would rather get a 'regular jacket style BC'? Just curious.
.. how is the the Computer: Zeagle N2iTiON 3
Good computer. Nothing wrong with it. Allows nitrox, three gas mixes, has a larger screen, looks very much like a Suunto in fact.The LeisurePro website says it has been discontinued, and the ScubaToys website suggests the same. Although it still appears on the Zeagle website, if it has been discontinued, work for a (steep) discount.
and Regulator: Zeagle Flathead 7
Excellent regulator. At the top end of the Zeagle line. Possibly a bit more expensive than an entry level diver would usually seek out. But, a very nice reg. I dive several different Zeagle reg first stage models (50D, DS-V, Envoy) and am very satisfied with Zeagle.

I am a bit confused by this statement. I don't understand what you mean by 'nondestructive' diving. And, I don't see the particular advantage (or disadvantage) of a jacket.

Non destructive meaning like i wont be killing anything :) i know the ranger is a back inflatable BC, i guess thats what i want so i can be more horizontal than vertical, i was refering to a traditional jacket like i didnt want those Backplate and wing, they look weird imo (https://www.deepseasupply.com/) Maybe they are the same thing, just looks weird on that picture..

Also on the regulator you said that its a bit more expensive than an entry level diver would look for... So i should look for a lower end Regulator?

Non destructive meaning like i wont be killing anything :) i know the ranger is a back inflatable BC, i guess thats what i want so i can be more horizontal than vertical, i was refering to a traditional jacket like i didnt want those Backplate and wing, they look weird imo (https://www.deepseasupply.com/) Maybe they are the same thing, just looks weird on that picture..

Also on the regulator you said that its a bit more expensive than an entry level diver would look for... So i should look for a lower end Regulator?

Why would someone who plans on being an avid diver choose a lower end regulator? Life support is the most important part of your scuba system.

Buy a regulator that you'll be happy with for a long time to come, instead of something low end that you'll want to replace in a year.

It's like the guy who walks into a camera store to ask, "I want to eventually buy a pro Nikon SLR camera, but in the meantime, what's a good starter camera?"

The answer is... why start with something if you know your goals are further along? Get what you need now, and then you only have to buy it once. :)

Why would someone who plans on being an avid diver choose a lower end regulator? Life support is the most important part of your scuba system.

There should be red alert going off in a divers mind any time a business brings out this argument. The dive shop merely wants to sell you expensive top of the line "high performance" equipment with intimidation and scare tactics. Scuba.com actually has a "Top 5 of the line regulators" with the most expensive being $1875 for just a 1st and 2nd stage. The octopus is another $209. Seriously???? When this argument fails, they will sell you an "economy" regulator for $295 because they want to make the sale.

There are plenty of "low end" regulators that are affordable, high performance and reliable. Don't fall for it. You can get a really good regulator set (1st, 2nd, 2nd + SPG) for $400 and dive it for a life time in every dive condition imaginable. It's up to you to decide if $2000+ should buy you just a regulator or an entire kit of gear.

Nothing against scuba.com, but I send my money to businesses that understand client value and long term relationships.

Miguel...I mean no disrespect, but you have a lot to learn about gear. Please don't rush into this. Just buy quality gear from reputible manufacturers and you'll be fine. There's nothing wrong with buying the expensive, high-end stuff if you can afford it and WANT it, but there is plenty of safe, reliable gear out there that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

The more you surf around these forums you'll see lots of strong opinions...that really don't mean squat. Spend some time educating yourself on gear and trying different pieces before you buy. Divers are usually a friendly bunch of folks and won't mind letting you try their fins or mask or whatever.

Make up your own mind and don't let the folks on this board (me included) sway your opinion until you actually try it yourself. I've bought jacket BCDs, back inflate BCDs, BPWs, split fins, paddle fins, long hoses, short hoses, two window masks, single window masks, z-knifes, short boots, tall boots...you name it. Guess what, it all worked about the same.

Its the diver not the gear.

Miguel...I mean no disrespect, but you have a lot to learn about gear. Please don't rush into this. Just buy quality gear from reputible manufacturers and you'll be fine. There's nothing wrong with buying the expensive, high-end stuff if you can afford it and WANT it, but there is plenty of safe, reliable gear out there that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

The more you surf around these forums you'll see lots of strong opinions...that really don't mean squat. Spend some time educating yourself on gear and trying different pieces before you buy. Divers are usually a friendly bunch of folks and won't mind letting you try their fins or mask or whatever.

Make up your own mind and don't let the folks on this board (me included) sway your opinion until you actually try it yourself. I've bought jacket BCDs, back inflate BCDs, BPWs, split fins, paddle fins, long hoses, short hoses, two window masks, single window masks, z-knifes, short boots, tall boots...you name it. Guess what, it all worked about the same.

Its the diver not the gear.

Couldn't agree more. What's that line? You don't know what you don't know

I know i have alot to learn about gear but sometimes the time is not there =( like today i have to get my mask and fins, ill get what ever looks good i guess... But next week when i have to pick my Regulator, BCD and computer that will be something else.. I guess i want to spend about $1500? not sure if thats alot or to little... I just want something that will last few years, my dad is also thinking about doing it but just not yet, so maybe ill give this to him 1-2 years from now and i want to make sure nothing happens to him and that will last few years...

Unfortunately there are aloooooooot of options i can pick from, like there are to many imo... and because "i dont know what i dont know" the guy at the store can just tell me buy this $2000 regulator so u dont die underwater when i really just need a $300 one..

Like i mentioned my budged for all 3 (reg, BCD and comp) is about $1500 i really dont have much more to spend, since i probably spend $200 today on fins, mask, weights, compass, etc to get my open water done..

Back
Top Bottom