Scuba spearfishing allowed in the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vidoe wouldn't play for me but yes, scuba spearfishing is allowed. The regulations vary from one jurisdiction to the next.

In Texas, spearfishing is legal for "non game" fish with no reference to scuba or not scuba and a mention of "does not include crossbow". They go on to define game and non game fish but basically it means bass, walleye and so on are a no go and catfish and perch are allowed.

I have nothing against spear fishing. I find it easier to go to HEB and get my seafood.

BTW, if I recall, that video is posted by dumper diver who is a member here. Spear fishing is legal where he lives.

Last edited:
Scuba Spearing is legal in all states with an ocean in that ocean, subject to seasonal and area closures, slot, and bag limits. Rebreather spearing is allowed in federal waters of the United States. Many states prohibit spearing with a rebreather (by many, I mean the one I live in). Freshwater spearing is much more limited.

There are a growing number of marine preserves so you do have be aware of exactly where you are. There are also typically game wardens on patrol who will check for licenses and game limits. Violators will be fined and in some cases they can take any gear used in the illegal activity. That can be very, very expensive if your on scuba.

Hi there,

Please watch this video posted on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bap2PxetarQ It's about scuba spearfishing somewhere in the US. The person who uploaded the video claims that scuba spearfishing is allowed in the US. I wonder whether this is really true.

Any comments?
Absolutely! We can dive for striped bass and carp in AZ. You just have to be very careful to follow the regulations. Some regulations are very specific for parts of rivers or lakes. Some only allow freediving, others are for scuba and freediving. Some allow carp and striped bass, others are for only carp.
Striped bass was only recently opened up in Lake Pleasant, maybe the past couple of years. My husband wasn't aware of this. We're going spearfishing this winter, as soon as my knees are recuperated from my surgeries. I can't wait!

Florida Spearfishing Rules:

Spearing
Spearing is defined as “the catching or taking of a fish by bowhunt-ing, gigging, spearfishing, or any device used to capture a fish by piercing its body.” Spearing does not include the catching or taking of a fish by a hook with hook-and-line gear or by snagging (snatch hooking). Spearfishing is defined as “the catching or taking of a fish through the instrumentality of a hand or mechanically propelled, single or multi-pronged spear or lance, barbed or barbless, operated by a person swimming at or below the surface of the water.” The use of powerheads, bangsticks, and rebreathers remains prohibited. The following is a list of species which are prohibited for harvest by spearing. Any other species not listed which are managed by the Commission, and those not managed by the Commission are allowed to be harvested by spearing.
• Billfish (all species)
• Spotted eagle ray
• Sturgeon
• Manta ray
• Sharks
• Bonefish
• Tarpon
• Goliath grouper
• Snook
• Blue crab
• Nassau grouper
• Spotted seatrout
• Red drum
• Weakfish
• Stone crab
• Florida Pompano
• African pompano
• Permit
• Tripletail
• Lobster
• Families of ornamental reef fish (surgeonfish, trumpetfish, angelfish, butterflyfish, porcupinefish, cornetfish, squirrelfish, trunkfish, damselfish, parrotfish, pipefish, seahorse, puffers, triggerfish except gray and ocean)
You may NOT spearfish
(excluding bowfishing and gigging):
■Spearfishing of marine and freshwater species in freshwater is prohibited. Possession of a spear gun in or on freshwater is also prohibited.
■Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.
■Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea— except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.
■In Collier County and in Monroe County from Long Key north to the Dade County line.
■For any fish for which spearing is expressly prohibited by law.
■In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Recreation and Parks. (Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.) Fishermen who catch and/or sell fish harvested by spearing are subject to the same rules and limitations that other anglers in the state are required to follow.
■In Monroe County there are additional regulations for spearfishing. For more information call 305-289-2320 or visit Welcome to the NOAA Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.

You may NOT spear, bowfish or gig:
■In Volusia County inland waters with the exception of flounder and sheepshead using a spear with three or fewer prongs.

Permit, Florida Pompano and African Pompano
■Permit and African Pompano: Hook and line only in state waters; hook and line or spearing only in federal waters.
■Florida Pompano: Hook and line, cast net and beach or haul seine only in state and federal waters

Taken from: http://myfwc.com/media/1484669/11flsw2_ad-free.pdf

For reference, the video was shot in Palm Beach which is in Palm Beach County, FL.

Out of curiosity, how else would someone spearfish except on scuba?

Last edited:
plenty of freedivers in south florida spearfish....

also for Florida -- add lionfish to the list - no limits, no license needed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom