Groups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same for a number of others as well...

Having the same issue here: I don't see Groups listed under the Community tab anymore, and my profile now tells me I am a member of 0 Groups.

Sorry about Groups, folks. None of us, not even site leaders, has access at all. We are discussing a workaround in the back room in the interim. When we've got some news about it, we'll let you know.

In the meantime, for active groups (I recall Cape Town Divers, Florida Keys, and Dark Magic off the top of my head, for example) I suggest starting an ordinary thread in the appropriate forum to keep up with your group members.

Thank god, I was being blamed for breaking it in certain circles ;-)

It's been 5 days now without an update. Is this still being worked on or are groups gone for good?

I have spent some time gathering data about the usage of groups to see how much effort we need to make to try to accommodate active groups that were displaced by the loss of that feature. For the vast majority of groups, there were almost no members in the groups, but for a good number there were in fact a bunch of members but almost no discussion. Very few groups--even the populated ones--had any activity at all over the past 6-9 months, so Groups was clearly not ever a very popular feature. The upshot is that since the feature was barely used at all, there's not a lot of pressure to replicate it elsewhere on the board. Right now we are looking at the possibility of creating smaller regional subgroups within the larger regional forums, but there has to be a demonstrated interest amongst the subgroup for it to happen, both in terms of numbers of members and posting history of the old groups. South Africa, for example may form a subforum within the larger Africa regional forum, and that will be a test case. There will be no private, by-invitation-only subforums. They may be closed to posting for those not specifically registered for that forum, but they will not be invisible or private.

Our suggestion for your case, crhpai, is a regular thread in a regular discussion forum, but it's hard to say whether that will meet your needs since I have no way of learning what it was you guys were talking about in your private group.

That seems to skip how groups went away in the first place. Was it on purpose? Was it an accident? Ah, just sweep under the rug because no one used it anyways....

The Dark Magic Divers group was created as a way to avoid a more formal process of requesting and approving a new group. It wouldn't be appropriate to post the threads in a public forum because the intent was to discuss topics that would be considered taboo by others and attract undesired noise in the discussions. The public version would need to be something like the Pub / Solo Divers / DIR Divers with a note on the door that says this is the one place we ask you to not jump in with "don't do that, you are going to die" and instead provide constructive advice on the taboo question being asked.

Does the group make more sense now?

You will need to go through the formal process in that case. I have to warn you in advance, however, that we get lots of suggestions for new subforums, and we don't often approve them, mainly in an effort to avoid further fracturing the structure of the board. We are already far too complex for most people to find their way around, and adding new subforums must weigh the drawbacks of fracturing against the benefits of creating a "home" for particular user groups. If you don't like the idea of a dedicated thread in the regular forums and you want a space specifically for your group, you have to apply for it through the formal process.

There's no need to go through such a formal process when all I have to do is click "Create Group" on Facebook.

As an example, at the end of my BlackBeard's trip two weeks ago someone put an email sign up sheet out. A few days later an email went around. I created a FaceBook group and hit reply all to let people know about it. We now have over twenty members with lots of discussion and photo sharing going on.

It's a lot easier to create a new community these days then it was 10 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom