Diving in Croatia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone.

Has anyone been down to the B-24 at: 45° 9' N / 13° 31' E? Or does anyone have any info on it?

Also noted here

B-24 Liberator US Bomber - Diving in Istra, Croatia - Wannadive.net - World dive site atlas

I was quite surprised to see it logged as this is where my Grandfather's B-24 went down in 1944 killing him and his crew. They never located the wreckage. I'm VERY curious to know if the serial number could be retrieved off this plane.

Thanks very much for your time.

Wilson

Wow, that one's new to me! The one (B17, not 24) I know of went down near Vis (and lies at tech depth, 70+m). If I happen to be in Istria in the coming years I'll check it out. Until then you might ask the nearby dive centers if they are diving the wreck.

If you are coming at high season then every place which is worth to see is crowded. My tip is island Ciovo (very close to the town of Trogir) where is possible snorkeling or scuba diving. Or maybe islands around Split because the sea is crystal clear and perfect for what you are looking for. Islands of Hvar, Brac, Solta ...

Hd grt wknd of dvng n Krk (no vowels allowed, apparently) with http://www.diver-krk.hr/. The owner has been diving in the area for more than three decades, so he knows the places to go! (He also teaches SSI and carries a DAN oxygen kit on his boat). However, while he speaks Italian and maybe some German in addition to Croatian, he doesn't know much English (and I don't know much Croatian) but fortunately I was there with two really good friends who could handle all the translations. We dived walls, not wrecks, and the highlight for me was Selzine Cape which had a beautiful bunch of corals and loads of fish at ~35 m. I was really happy with the visit! By the way, I brought my drysuit and was happy; my friends were diving 7 mm wetsuits and were a bit cold in mid-September.

By the way, I brought my drysuit and was happy; my friends were diving 7 mm wetsuits and were a bit cold in mid-September.

Important piece of info:) even though the water is the warmest in aug-sep, at 30+m/100' depth its usually not more than 12C. And there is quite a lot to see at those depths, my favorites, the purple gorgonians start at ~40m... I am usually fine though in my 7mm semidry+hooded west.

Hello there, very old thread I know, but I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is possible or worth diving (and for 2 of our party, learning to dive) in Croatia (pref. Dubrovnik area but flexible) in mid to late April? Will it just be too cold? Greece is the alternative but we already have flights home from Dubrov that will be wasted otherwise.

Thanks for any advice!

Hello there, very old thread I know, but I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is possible or worth diving (and for 2 of our party, learning to dive) in Croatia (pref. Dubrovnik area but flexible) in mid to late April? Will it just be too cold? Greece is the alternative but we already have flights home from Dubrov that will be wasted otherwise.

Thanks for any advice!
Define "too cold". Water temperature in mid-September in Krk was 61 F/16 C, which is quite OK in a 7 mm wetsuit or drysuit. Warmer than my dive Saturday in 41 F/5 C water temperatures (Lake Michigan, USA)... I don't know about the water temperatures near Dubrovnik area in mid April, however.

Thanks for any advice!
Hello Dri18, did you end up going on your trip in April? How was the water temp for you and what was it like in general? I'm thinking of going this April. Cold but tolerable for me was Poor Knights Island NZ, I was in a 7mm suit and it was 14C

Back
Top Bottom