how to choose dive operator in Cebu/ Bohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aubrey-7

New
Reaction score
hi i recently got my open water license and going Cebu/ Bohol for diving. How do i go about choosing a dive operator for diving trips?

do they need to be listed on the Padi website? or i could simply look at eg reviews from other divers

Hi! Looking for reviews from other divers is the best way to go. In fact, you will find many such ones here - just type Cebu or Bohol (or even more specific terms like Malapascua etc) into the search box at the top right hand of the screen.

PADI, as you may know, is just one agency that certifies divers. While many dive centers will be associated with them, some will not. Being associated with PADI, or not, is no default guarantee of quality or anything. Better by far to go with what other divers have to say about them. In fact, a number of the dive shop operators you will find here on Scubaboard - and even more regular divers who are very familiar with the areas you will be going to. You have definitely come to the right place to ask questions.

We will be diving Cebu and Bohol too for the first time in January. We're really looking forward to it!!!!

Enjoy your research. I really enjoy the researching part of a trip!

hi i recently got my open water license and going Cebu/ Bohol for diving. How do i go about choosing a dive operator for diving trips?

do they need to be listed on the Padi website? or i could simply look at eg reviews from other divers

Congrats on the beginning of a lifetime of adventure.

Now that you are qualified with a C card you may choose who ever you want to dive with, ie SSI shops Padi shops, live abords etc. Sure PADI have lists of their shop fronts etc worldwide , but you can choose them or not. You need to do the leg work and look at reviews on dive sites such as this , ask questions here as well. There are thousands that have probably gone to Cebu that are willing to voice their opinions. I am answering the Padi part of the question as well as what to look for, others may agree or disagree.

Look the site up on the web , read the dive profiles shops offer, look at the experience ranges offered as some sites are for advanced or qualified in certain areas to undertake. send emails to your prospective shops get the feel of them . Look at your comforatbility level , the old Australia saying "don't bite off more than you can chew" be safe and comfortable in your diving. Dive to you limits not someone elses, you get better of course with experience. start small and work your way up to the bigger dives.
Cheers
Graham

There are certainly lots of dive operators to choose from in Cebu and Bohol. You can look at the Philippines Paradise Divers Forums where folks talk about all things Philippines... Cebu has 3 main dive destinations (Mactan, Malapascua and Moalboal) Bohol has Alona, Anda(up and coming) and Cabilao.

Trip Advisor is also sometimes helpful..

Cheers,
Roger

I LIVE IN BOHOL AND ALTHOUGH I'M NOT A DIVING EXPERT I KNOW THERE IS A VERY WELL ORGANIZED DIVE SHOP IN ALONA BOHOL CALLED " GO SCUBA". I HAD A CHAT TO HIM AND HE SEEMS WELL QUALIFIED AND A NICE GUY. HE'S E MAIL ADDRESS IS sales@goscuba-diving.com . BY THE WAY, IF YOU NEED SOMEWHERE NICE TO STAY IN BOHOL, I AM THE MANAGER OF A BOHOL HOTEL WHICH ONLY CHARGES P950 A NIGHT INCLUDING BREAKFAST. IT HAS ALL MOD CONS LIKE AIRCON, HAIRDRYER, COFFEE TEA, NICE DECOR, ETC. IF YOU WANT ANY EXTRA HELP OR INFO FROM A LOCAL EXPERT JUST EMAIL ME AT MY E MAIL ADDRESS touristinfobohol@btinternet.com. ANYWAY, HOPE YOU HAVE FUN. ROWENA

I'm going to Alona beach in october. So far the names popping up are Sierra Madre and Fun Divers. As it happens I'm staying with Lost Horizon the whole time, which I believe is associated with Fun Divers. My biggest criteria as a beginner is taking things like safety, protocol, etc serious, and operate with a professional attitude. Of course I like social behaviour as much as anyone else, but when it comes to diving, professionalism, and taking it serious do matter a great deal to me as a beginner.

you'll be fine with Philippine Fun Divers. They will take care of you, don't worry too much during the dive or else you'll consume your air faster than you should.

Fun Divers at Horizon is excellent. I was there in March 2012 & plan to return in Nov, 2013.
They are kind, caring and professional.

Back
Top Bottom