Malapascua or anther island in Cebu for 5 days diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I were in your shoes I'd stay on Malapascua just long enough to see the threshers, the scoot south to Moalboal for the sardines. In my opinion, other than the threshers, Malapascua's dive sites don't offer enough to warrant 5 whole days of diving. Same goes for Moalboal - Pescador is worth a dive or two, with a couple more at wherever the sardines are, and that's it.
There are enough dive sites around Malapascua to keep anyone happy for 5 days of good diving. Whether the operator has enough demand to go to eg. Dona Marilyn is another story.

He/she probably expected the wreck is covered with healthy growth of hard and soft corals at 30m+!!

Not impressed with the Dona Marilyn? Do you live in Truk Lagoon? The DM is a great wreck and I've got over 1000 logged dives in Truk, so I'm surprised to hear anyone say that.

Lol, good one!

I don't understand how the Dona Marilyn can fail to impress. It's big, it's deep, it's remote, it's covered in corals and fish. Plus, 250 people died on it. That has made a haunting impression on me.

Last edited:
There are enough dive sites around Malapascua to keep anyone happy for 5 days of good diving.
I couldn't agree more! Having spent more than two weeks there just recently, I can say in all honesty I'd have stayed another two if possible.

Not impressed with the Dona Marilyn? Do you live in Truk Lagoon? The DM is a great wreck and I've got over 1000 logged dives in Truk, so I'm surprised to hear anyone say that.
If given the chance, I'd spend an entire week out there on that big beckoning wreck. Oh, wait a minute! That's my next planned trip!

There's so much more to Malapascua than just the threshers ... mandarin fish, harlequin shrimp, manta rays, nudi's, whitetips, frog fish, blue ringed oct, grouper, pygmy seahorse, ... ... Heck, our boat was accompanied by a pod of dolphins just returning from a thresher dive one morning!

There are mandarin fish?? My favourite fish! Yep, this is definately going to be a great week! I'm having a bit of trouble with accomodation for the full 6 days. May have to move between 2 places. Any recommendations? i thought some places would do a combined transfer from Cebu + accomodation + diving. Seaquest's website keeps crashing on my, but my work machine is fit for a museuem.

Do you need airconditioning there or is a fan sufficient (I survived Lembeh with a fan, Solomon Islands- so grateful for an airconditioned room.

I couldn't agree more! Having spent more than two weeks there just recently, I can say in all honesty I'd have stayed another two if possible.

If given the chance, I'd spend an entire week out there on that big beckoning wreck. Oh, wait a minute! That's my next planned trip!

There's so much more to Malapascua than just the threshers ... mandarin fish, harlequin shrimp, manta rays, nudi's, whitetips, frog fish, blue ringed oct, grouper, pygmy seahorse, ... ... Heck, our boat was accompanied by a pod of dolphins just returning from a thresher dive one morning!

I'm having a bit of trouble with accomodation for the full 6 days. May have to move between 2 places. Any recommendations? i thought some places would do a combined transfer from Cebu + accomodation + diving. Seaquest's website keeps crashing on my, but my work machine is fit for a museuem ... Do you need airconditioning there or is a fan sufficient (I survived Lembeh with a fan, Solomon Islands- so grateful for an airconditioned room.
I stayed right next to Evolution at Aabana (Mike & Diose's). Very hospitable, a nice basic place, rooms to cover varying budgets. Cheapest was 400PHP, 500PHP (I stayed in both), upwards to 4000? Another lower cost one was Mr. Kwiz(sp?). I also toured Hiltey's and Purple Snapper, both were quite pleasant, but slightly further from the beach (tiny island, 4 min. walk).

Air con. is pricey on Malapascua due to the high cost of electricity. Every resort must pass the cost onto to guest, some I guess charge flat rate, others charge per usage. I am accustomed to tropical environments, so I didn't even bother with a fan most nights. And I'm cheap! But to each their own.

If you haven't found your dive op yet, I highly recommend Evolution. The owners, staff, and facility are top-notch. They also have comfortable bungalows on the beach.

Back
Top Bottom