Sea Sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Joy-S,

Here's my latest published piece on motion sickness courtesy of Undercurrent (http://www.undercurrent.org/)

"Tame the Technicolor Yodel: Managing Mal de Mer

by Doc Vikingo

The bane of many, sea sickness is thought to occur when areas of the brain tasked with maintaining balance receive input from the eyes, inner ear, muscles and joints that is inconsistent and unexpected over an extended period.

And don't think that you are immune. Given the proper set of forces on or under the water, just about any diver can be made to call for Ralph.

As with most maladies, prevention is preferable to treatment. Take common sense steps like getting adequate sleep and avoiding fatigue, passing on heavy meals and fatty, spicy or acidic foods in favor of blander fare like breadstuffs, cereals and soups. Acidic, caffeinated beverages like tea, coffee and some sodas should be consumed only in moderation; ditto for alcohol.

On the boat, find a shaded, well-ventilated seat on deck that is set low and in the center of the craft. It should be away from exhaust fumes and other sea sick divers. Face forward, focus on a distant fixed object on or slightly above the horizon and avoid unnecessary movement of the neck and head. Don’t read or look through binoculars. Delay donning your suit until the last minute and, unless there is substantial surge, do get in the water as quickly as possible.

If such measures fail, you can chose from a variety of OTC and prescription medications designed to be taken prior to boarding the boat and getting ill. Among the more effective is scopolamine, which can be delivered through a patch worn behind the ear (e.g., Transderm Scop), orally (e.g., Scopace (See #1 below)) and as a gel. The former is the longest acting. The latter two, in addition to not falling off from behind your ear, are faster acting and allow for more flexible dosing. An excellent review of patch vs pill appears in the March/April '04 issue of "Alert Diver." (See #2 below)

Popular and effective OTC drugs include Bonine and Dramamine II (both meclizine; in prescription strength as Antivert). Also widely used are Dramamine Original Formula and Chewable Tablets and Triptone, all of which contain dimenhydrinate, a drug with demonstrated adverse effects upon alertness and performance both topside and at depth. A British product, Stugeron (cinnarizine), has also been shown an effective treatment, but is not yet on the market in the US. These OTC medications are most effective if taken at bedtime the night prior to diving, followed by a second dose about an hour prior to boarding the boat.

Both the prescription and OTC drugs have side effects, most commonly dryness of the mouth and drowsiness, but also blurred vision, dizziness and even confusion. However, the adverse effects tend to diminish with use and research suggests that the sedating effect of scopolamine may have been overstated.

A study conducted for NASA evaluating the effects of oral scopolamine on operational proficiency found no significant impact on the selected tasks, and drowsiness and blurred vision were not significantly greater than that for placebo.

Research involving naval crew found that cinnarizine (Stugeron) and transdermal scopolamine were free of adverse effects on the cognitive and motor performance tests, and the only side effect was dry mouth with scopolamine. This study used a large dose of cinnarizine, 50 mg. As another study has shown impairment of psychomotor performance and increased daytime sleepiness as dosage increases, it would be prudent not to exceed 25 mg the night before boarding the boat and 12.5 mg every 8 hours thereafter when necessary.

Another study asked divers on an extended 60' air saturation profile to complete psychomotor tasks several times during the dive and to record perceived side effects. There was no significant difference between the groups receiving either a transdermal scopolamine or a placebo patch, suggesting that modest hyperbaric exposures would not increase the probability of side effects or impair performance at recreational scuba depths.

Despite the easy availability of safe and effective motion sickness drugs, there are always those who prefer, or assert the superiority of, herbal remedies, most popular among them ginger.

So, is ginger effective? Seems it may be. For many reasons the final chapter on the efficacy of ginger in preventing motion sickness has yet to be written, but a number of controlled studies have found that ginger in the one gram dosage range notably reduces vomiting and cold sweating. Nausea and vertigo also are reduced, but apparently to lesser degree. Several articles report that ginger is as, or more, effective than Dramamine Original Formula in controlling motion sickness and produces fewer side effects.

If you're going to do ginger, encapsulated powdered, root or crystallized forms make it easiest to control the amount of active ingredient ingested. Eating ginger snaps, or drinking ginger soda or tea, makes getting adequate quantity and control much more difficult. Be aware that some products contain only ginger flavoring, not the real thing--read the labels. A reasonable daily starting regimen would be 1 gram/1,000 mg of powdered ginger root 4-6 hours before, then another about 1 hour before, boarding the boat. Additional doses can be taken every 4-6 hours provided they are well tolerated.

Others swear by such "natural remedies" as the Sea-Band and ReliefBand, bracelets that are placed to exert pressure/stimulation on an acupressure point on the inner surface of the wrist just above the joint. While the results to date are not entirely consistent, the research seems to suggest these bands do not control motion sickness. Moreover, the ReliefBand, costing $55 to $120 non-refundable dollars, is slightly water resistant but not waterproof.

Even farther out are products such as MotionEaze, an aromatic mixture dabbed behind the ears, and various fragrant essential oils rubbed into the hands and feet. While these might make you smell better while you're praying to the porcelain princess, there is no scientific support for them.

But, never underestimate the power of placebo. Just about every preparation and device for motion sickness has it advocates and believers.

In the final analysis you'll need to discover, probably by trial and error, what works best for you with the least adverse reaction, cost and inconvenience. Whatever pill, patch or potion you may chose, it is strongly recommended that it be given at least a 24-hour trial topside to observe for worrisome side effects and used only according to
instructions or slightly more conservatively.

© Doc Vikingo 2005

Reprinted by permission of Undercurrent "

(1) Scopace has been off the market for some years now, but you can purchase an easily compounded & inexpensive replacement --> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/404011-scopace-discontinued-wtf-4.html#post6875844

(2) "Scopace Tablets

Here's An Alternative to "The Patch" for Motion Sickness Relief

By Renée Duncan, Editor

We've all heard about "the patch for divers." In fact, we've profiled it a couple of times in the pages of Alert Diver. And it works beautifully for many divers and travelers who experience motion sickness.

I'm one of those unfortunates who, given a good whiff of diesel and a quick view of a rolling horizon, will be feeding the fish off almost any boat unlucky enough to have me. Actually, I usually take it in stride, but my involuntary actions have dismayed some of my fellow dive travelers at times.

Unhappily, "the patch" is just too strong for me. I'm on the small side, 5 feet 2 inches (1.57 meters) tall, maybe 110 pounds (49.5 kilograms) without my gear. And putting on a patch practically guarantees I won't recall much of my dive, flight or boat ride (short-term memory loss is one of the side effects).

It doesn't have this effect on all small persons; and, by the same token, it may affect larger persons just as intensely - or it may not be enough. As with many medications, it simply works on each of us individually, and some days (and dosages) can be tougher than others.

What to do? Well, I've pondered. Fed some fish. Postponed dives. Or gone diving off the other side of the boat after a good spew.

Then I heard about a pill I could take for motion sickness. The best thing about it is that I can keep my dosages low rather than enduring the fixed dosage of a patch. And although, I haven't had motion sickness in a while, I almost wish I could get sick again, just to try it.

Divers and travelers who suffer from motion sickness, you have a choice: you can use the scopolamine patch or take it in pill form. For many folks, the pill is welcome news. Scopace, a medication for motion sickness, is available through your doctor - in 0.4 mg tablets.

Scopace contains scopolamine hydrobromide, described by the American Hospital Formulary Service (a drug information reference from the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists) as the "single most effective medicine to prevent nausea and vomiting induced by motion."

So, how do these tablets compare to the patch? To begin with, both have scopolamine, a drug well known for its ability to ease motion sickness.

Dosing Flexibility

The patch and the pill differ, however, in dosing flexibility. The patch delivers a fixed dose to all persons who don it. And therein lies the problem. Because a fixed dose is formulated for individuals of average weight, it may be excessive for smaller individuals and not enough for larger persons. This means a small person could encounter side effects from absorbing too much of the drug, while larger individuals may still get motion sickness because they're getting insufficient amounts.

With tablets, you can adjust the dosage to the lowest level you find effective. Granted, this may mean a couple of trial-and-error runs, but it beats the dizziness and blurring of vision if you're sensitive to the patch.

Skin Considerations

Then, there's the issue of skin. Topical absorption of a medication - such as what you find in a scopolamine patch - is dependent on certain skin characteristics. These factors include skin thickness, patch adhesion (that's why instructions tell you to apply the patch to clean skin) and blood circulation within the skin.

If the skin is too thick, the medication may penetrate too slowly. With hairy or sweaty skin, the patch may not adhere properly. If circulation is poor or if blood flow is shunted away from the skin (this can happens in cold conditions or during episodes of extreme nausea), drug levels may remain diminished because of reduced drug passage into the blood.

Ingesting the Tablets

Next, there's speed: in order to work, tablets have to melt. If you wait until you're already ill, you may get quicker relief with the patch.

Quality guidelines published by the United States Pharmacopoeia, an organization that works closely with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the pharmaceutical industry, and the health professions to establish authoritative drug standards, specify that scopolamine tablets must disintegrate within 15 minutes. According to Craig R. Sherman, M.D., Medical Director, Hope Pharmaceuticals (the manufacturer of Scopace), ongoing testing confirms that Scopace tablets meet or exceed this standard.

Whichever method you prefer, remember to dose yourself at least an hour before you dive, travel or go boating.

Side Effects

The incidence of side effects associated with the two dosage forms of scopolamine can differ. If you have experienced any negative effects with the patch, you may want to give the pills a try, or vice versa.

The primary side effect of scopolamine tablets at the intended doses is reduced salivation, says the manufacturer. That's dry mouth in diving terms, and it's not fun. But it's not dangerous, either. More serious side effects can always happen with any medication. The manufacturer points out, however, that the more serious side effects with the tablets tend to be infrequent because you can adjust your dose to the lowest level you need.

Another consideration is the duration of possible side effects. If a side effect occurs after you ingest a tablet, you can suspend subsequent doses while your body metabolizes the pill. In contrast, side effects associated with topically applied medicine may be prolonged after it is removed because of continued absorption into the blood from the skin.

To reinforce the drug's safety, Hope Pharmaceuticals also provided this study result for the scopolamine tablet:

A study conducted for NASA evaluated whether oral scopolamine impacted operational proficiency. Scopolamine was tested in two doses - 0.25 mg and 0.5 mg. The researchers concluded that neither dose produced any loss of proficiency performing selected tasks. Furthermore, the incidence of drowsiness and blurred vision associated with the drug did not exceed that associated with placebo.

Just like the scopolamine patch, Scopace can cause inability to urinate in men with enlarged prostate glands, and can exacerbate certain types of glaucoma (excessive pressure in the eye). It can also cause drowsiness, which could be dangerous while performing certain activities such as driving a car.

It's Your Trip

No one wants motion sickness to spoil a trip. At the same time, you don't want to over-medicate yourself: it's just as bad. If you have a tried-and-true method of dealing with motion sickness, stick with it. If you're not happy with your present solution, perhaps you'd like to discuss a prescription for Scopace with your doctor.

For other, non-medical ways to prevent motion sickness, see Dan Orr's July/August 2003 Incident Insights report on "Mal de Mer."

Pay attention to what your body's telling you about motion sickness or drugs."

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

If none of those work, you sound like a good candidate to take up cave diving...
By the way, breakfast coffee and orange juice should be avoided

That's always a great diving solution for sea-sick people! LOL
Plus then you can enjoy that full breakfast and jump right in :D

I use Dimenhydrinate 50mg from the Walmart Equate brand.

Hi lindenbruce,

You may find the following informative:

Pharmacotherapy 20(9):1051-1054, 2000:

The Psychometric and Cardiac Effects of Dimenhydrinate in the Hyperbaric Environment

David McD. Taylor, M.D., Kevin S. O'Toole, M.D., Thomas E. Auble, Ph.D., Christopher M. Ryan, Ph.D., and David R. Sherman, R.N.

Abstract

Study Objectives. To examine the psychometric and cardiac effects of dimenhydrinate at 1 and 3 atmospheres (atm) of pressure (0 and 66 feet of sea water, respectively), and to make recommendations about the drug's safety in the diving environment.

Design. Double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study.

Setting. Monoplace hyperbaric chamber of a university hospital.

Subjects. Thirty active divers (mean age 38 yrs).

Interventions. A bank of seven tests was used to assess cognitive function during four different dive combinations: placebo-1 atm, placebo-3 atm, dimenhydrinate-1 atm, and dimenhydrinate-3 atm.

Measurements and Main Results. Heart rate and cardiac rhythm were recorded during all dives. Repeated-measures multivariate analysis of variance was used to analyze the effects of dimenhydrinate, depth, and drug-depth interaction. Dimenhydrinate resulted in a significant decrease in scores of mental flexibility (trail-making, part B, p<0.05) but had no effect on scores in the six other psychometric tests (p>0.05). It had no effect on mean heart rate (p>0.05), although frequent unifocal ventricular ectopic beats occurred in two subjects after ingestion of the drug. Depth resulted in a significant decrease in verbal memory test scores (p=0.001) and mean heart rate (p<0.001).

Conclusion. Dimenhydrinate adversely affects mental flexibility. This effect, when added to the adverse effect of depth on memory, may contribute to the dangers of diving."

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thank you very much!!

---------- Post added September 6th, 2013 at 09:20 AM ----------

That's always a great diving solution for sea-sick people! LOL
Plus then you can enjoy that full breakfast and jump right in :D
Then I can skip worrying about sea sickness and focus on anxiety lol

There was a guy I used to see on the boats now and then who had anxiety attacks. He would take a Xanax and then smoke all the way out to the dive site. He's still out there. Amazing...

If you take up cave diving, maybe you can discover extreme latent claustrophibia.

It's not fun being seasick. I've only a couple of times in my life - once in the Navy the first time I got underway and once on a miserable crossing from Oahu to Molokai. When I dived with military guys in small inflatables, I would surreptitiously fill my mouth with seawater and then pretend to noisily and violently spew in the boat. That was some fun stuff, although the people right there on the cusp of heaving always failed to find the amusement there.

You can try and have your doctor prescribe a Transdermal Scop Patch that will go behind the ear. This does work for me, but rest assured at 3-5 most anyone can and will get sick. Do like me and scope out the weather reports and make sure not to go out on blistering days.

Another tip from someone who suffers like you, get in the water as fast as you can. Gear up early and be on the ready to dive in ASAP. That will help. In between dives lay on your back and look to the sky that will also alleviate your discomfort.

Hope that helps.

...Here's my latest published piece on motion sickness courtesy of Undercurrent...

Great advice Doc, thanks! We will be taking livaboard vacation in about a month and although I love livaboards, I often find that the first day or two can be rough (or even terrible, depending on conditions and the crossing we are doing!)

I tried the scop patch many years ago when they first came out and after a couple of days I lost my near vision - I couldn't read! I took the patch off and after a day or two my vision was back to normal.

I take antihistamines and decongestants (Allegra-D) for allergic rhinitis and many years ago the combination with my seasick medicine (dramanine, I think) caused the the permanent development of floaters in my eyes. Happily, they are mild and usually not a problem although I do see shadows in bright sunlight.

Do you have an opinion about a seasick medication that might be of benefit to someone wth a tendency toward vision/eye side effects? Thanks!

You can try and have your doctor prescribe a Transdermal Scop Patch that will go behind the ear. This does work for me, but rest assured at 3-5 most anyone can and will get sick. Do like me and scope out the weather reports and make sure not to go out on blistering days.

Another tip from someone who suffers like you, get in the water as fast as you can. Gear up early and be on the ready to dive in ASAP. That will help. In between dives lay on your back and look to the sky that will also alleviate your discomfort.

Hope that helps.
I'd get sea sick even when I don't suffer from mal de mer, from looking at the clouds. Not sure that's the best advice for most people.
i don't get sea sick but I did get sick once when a tropical storm was blowing in and we took an off shore fishing trip down near Corpus. Swells were 4/6 and I think they got higher toward the end of the afternoon. I finally succumbed to sickness after about four hours. Unfortunately, it was right when I caught the biggest fish of the day. He managed to snap my line while somebody else was trying to reel him in. I was on the other end of the boat, heaving my guts out. No big fish for me.

---------- Post added September 29th, 2013 at 02:20 PM ----------

Thank you everyone, I think I'll start an OTC med a day or 2 before and try some ginger candies or ginger gum. I was fine until the boat stopped to let all the divers out. Once I got sick, it didn't stop, I barely had anything in my stomach, just that stomach acid coming up again and again it was pretty bad. But I still want to try boat diving again :)
Try crystallized ginger. You can buy it in bulk at a Whole Foods or Health Foods grocery. Its even very easy to make yourself. The pickled ginger from a Japanese or Asian store is good for this too.
best is ginger tea made from fresh ginger. Just brewing some slices of fresh ginger with you in a ziplock baggy. Add hot water on the boat. If they have lemon or honey that's a nice addition, too, let it steep about 5-20 minutes and sip slowly. You can't eat the chunks of ginger but I would probably just discard them.

There's nothing wrong with quick & easy somatic remedies/medications for sea sickness, but you can break the dependency on them over time with self-hypnosis/visualization only, building up in the process your own "psychosomatic tolerance".

The motivation is to do all means cognitively to help yourself without any over-the-counter drugs (and the side-effects they can produce), but only seek professional help with prescribed medication as necessary when those avenues, methods of self-help are not viable.

Here again is the method and the logic behind using the cognitive visualization technique which I've posted about in few boards including several threads in the past here on Scubaboard:

Most people don't get motion sickness while driving a car or piloting a boat/plane; the reason being because you're directly effecting the action of the vessel, you see what actions you have to take to steer a clear passage, you anticipate and react to the dynamic forces that result from such actions. Your mind/body kinesthetics are synchronized, your vestibular senses unconfounded, and you don't develop the nausea associated with motion sickness.

Here's how to achieve that state as a passenger on a diveboat:

Look not only at the Horizon, but also at the railing of the boat in the foreground --and see how it all moves relative to each other as the boat makes way through the swells. Memorize that movement and close your eyes, feel the boat's rhythm moving through the swells, and "see" that railing/horizon movement in your mind's eye. Anticipate where that railing/horizon orientation will be when you open your eyes . . .and finally open your eyes to see it and confirm it. Convince your mind and inner ear that you are in dynamic motion based on your sense of balance, tactile/kinesthetic feedback, and coordinating-synchronizing it all with the movement pattern of the railing/horizon which you just memorized. . .

In other words . . .don't anticipate being seasick --anticipate being in control, knowing & feeling what the boat's motion is going to be. With practice of this simple visualization, you can even "quell the queasiness" in the roughest sea conditions --all without any medication of any kind.

Again --All you gotta do is look at the horizon, see how it moves relative to the boat's motion and memorize that pattern, and then get a feeling for the rhythm of the swells and synchronize it with horizon's motion. Now when you go down belowdecks, just play it all back in your "mind's eye" as you begin to feel & anticipate the boat's apparent motion --or even imagine the boat belowdecks is transparent and you can actually see the horizon & swells in sync with the boat's apparent motion-- it's all just visualization without medication and it works!

That's the visualization technique you gotta practice, and unfortunately it's difficult to do if you're concentrating on something else like setting up your gear, reading a book, watching a video, worrying about running out of ginger pills/dramamine/bonine etc. But once you get good at it, you can hold the malaise to a reasonable level even in stormy seas --a "four" for instance on a scale from 1 to 10, with "ten" being projectile vomiting, extreme nausea, hugging the rail and begging for someone to shoot you . . . (In my thirty hour passage from mainland Costa Rica to Cocos Island, I was cognitively exhausted performing the technique over an extended period, and just simply fell asleep naturally). . .
Motion sickness is just a nuisance ailment . . .really!!!

The only scenario for a diveboat passneger where it becomes an issue is excessive prolonged vomiting resulting in dehydration & electrolyte imbalance, which requires IV treatment --If you have a trained medic onboard this should not be a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom