First trip to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't comment on Coco View, but I would say based on your time interval, February to May is usually great. As far as wetsuit thickness, I've worn everything from just a swimsuit to a 3 mil full. It totally depends on you. Just make sure you bring the bug repellent. You will need it.

Hi, Probably a lot of these questions have been asked before. We are thinking of going to Roatan this winter and going to CCV. About us: relatively new divers, about 50 logged dives, most from Buddy Dive/Bonaire, which we have been to 3 times. Enjoy boat diving, most dives were boat dives. Don't like to go deeper than 60', OW and Nitrox certified, don't like drift diving (we like to go slow and take pictures).

1) We enjoy Bonaire/Buddy Dive - relaxed, low-key, 2-3 dives/day, lots to see , usually good vis . Will we like Roatan/CocoView?

2) Seems like limited flights into Roatan, is United through Houston the way to go? (We live in Maine). Is it normally sat-sat or do people come/go any day of the week?

3) No interest in shark diving, can we avoid them? Seems like there are special "shark dives", if you don't go on them, will sharks be around?

4) Best time of year to go (that is between Nov and May)?

5) Any shots/medications before travelling there?

So, Doc (the entity formerly known as RoatanMan) has chimed in--but he didn't link his excellent slideshow that he pointed to me when I inquired about CocoView a few years back: CoCoView Explained In Pictures Photos by Doc_Adelman | Photobucket

Search for robint here. She has posted some great videos of her trip earlier this year (spring time?). And of course, you can also find my most recent trip report for August.

Sat. to Sat. is most common. Cocoview books direct now; you can still go thru Roatan Charter, but you can book directly to Cocoview by e-mail or the toll-free number on the web site. I wound up spending Fri. night (going out) in Atlanta; it was less expensive (including the hotel) than United, from where I was coming. I have no idea from Maine. Maybe Logan to ATL to RTB? Parking will be awfully expensive in Boston, though. Don't know how convenient Manchester NH is. Maybe a hotel night at ATL on Friday night saves enough on airfare? American Airlines does have a weekly non-stop from Miami, I think.

You can avoid the shark dive. If you're lucky, you'll find a sleeping nurse shark in the daytime on a day dive. Dolphins have been known to happen on surface intervals, but are not guaranteed:
Picture1239_zpsab70ee3a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Time of year? I've only been there in summer, twice (early July & mid-August). Given school vacations etc., that's unlikely to change for a few years for me. I've heard that spring is past rainy season--it'll still rain, but the likelihood of having rain all day every day is less. A scattered shower here or there shouldn't stop you diving. Pack a windbreaker for a boat surface interval if it's a rainy day.

Shots/medications? It's a resort area. That said, CDC has travelers' alert for malaria, dengue, yellow fever, typhoid, etc. My personal choices: Typhoid, hepatitis, yellow fever, and chloroquine (the least expensive anti-malarial); socks with my crocs; 40% DEET (100% exists, but I have 40%) on my ankles and neck (on top of the sunscreen); benadryl cream (one of the prescription nasal steroids is supposed to work wonders as an anti-itch for mosquitos); swimmers' ear drops (95% alcohol; I hear the homemade vinegar and alcohol drops are good too, but I don't want to smell like a drunk salad eater!). I hardly ever get motion sickness or traveler's tummy, but consider an anti-diarrheal and anti-motion sickness if you're prone to those. Bring extra ibuprofen etc. to give to Andrea the volunteer nurse; toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss for the kids.

Pack your swimsuit in your carry-on, so you can swim/snorkel if your baggage takes a while to arrive. If you're obsessive about getting maximum dives, you can ask one of the DM's directly for a private orientation on Saturday afternoon when you arrive; otherwise, your first dive is not until Sunday mid-morning.

Have a great time!

I'm heading to Roatan for the first time in a week, so I'm watching this thread close. Personally, I hope to see a few sharks. I love them. So, there is little chance of seeing them, unless I take a shark dive? I'm kind of against shark dives, I like to see them naturally.

Any comments about going in late September?

I'm planning on diving only a 1.5mil t-shirt and shorts. I'm taking a skin in case of jellyfish but I hope not to have to wear it. If it's 81-82' or above, I'll be fine temp wise.

Just in case you hadn't heard, the annual ScubaBoard Invasion is to Roatan, April 26-May3
Invasions are a blast! and the deals are smoking hot. Hope you will consider joining us.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sc...-scubaboard-invasion-central-2014-roatan.html

I would love to join one of the "Invasion's" but I own a small business. My time off is VERY rare and has to be planned around our slow times and well in advance. Maybe one of these days, I'll be able to join one.

Until then, I'll dive in a cold quarry and take a trip to warm water when I get the chance.

Just in case you hadn't heard, the annual ScubaBoard Invasion is to Roatan, April 26-May3
Invasions are a blast! and the deals are smoking hot. Hope you will consider joining us.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sc...-scubaboard-invasion-central-2014-roatan.html

Aw shoot. We'll be at AKR in late November. Yeah, the rainy season, but the week around Thanksgiving works well for us for an annual Caribbean dive trip. Someday we'll manage to attend an Invasion.

I'm heading to Roatan for the first time in a week, so I'm watching this thread close. Personally, I hope to see a few sharks. I love them. So, there is little chance of seeing them, unless I take a shark dive? I'm kind of against shark dives, I like to see them naturally.

Any comments about going in late September?

I'm planning on diving only a 1.5mil t-shirt and shorts. I'm taking a skin in case of jellyfish but I hope not to have to wear it. If it's 81-82' or above, I'll be fine temp wise.

See you there KY. I arrive on the 21st.

See you there KY. I arrive on the 21st.

So do I. I'll see you there. Look for a short heavy-set mid-40's guy, with short hair, and give me a shout. I'll keep my ears open for a Jersey accent.

Invasions are a blast! and the deals are smoking hot.

That was a bit OT, but I like it when divers show up to Roatan.

The original topic was Cocoview, but since the final "SB invasion" pricing at AKR just got posted today, I'm not seeing the "smoking hot" part of it. CCV is anywhere from $50-$80 cheaper.

Each resort has its fans, and the SB Invasion should be great fun, but it's really not much of a deal, smoking hot or otherwise... it's more than standard rates for the bulk of their rooms, plus they have continuously offered 2 for 1 deals.

7-NIGHTS
HILL STANDARD $1,179
HILL SUPERIOR $1,389
KEY STANDARD $1,499
KEY SUPERIOR $1,709

That's why I waited until I heard the pricing structure before I joined in this OT twist to the original line.

I know this will likely be viewed as an unpopular statement, but the numbers are the numbers.

---------- Post added September 15th, 2013 at 07:54 AM ----------

Doc, you of all people I would expect to do your home work. You have forgotten the 16% hotel tax and add no value to free nitrox and 50.00 activity credit. This is a great deal here's a breakdown.

Free nitrox and # Room
50.00 activity Each cat

Standard 2014 price-----------Added Value-----------Savings PP------------# of Room

Hill std $1179 + 16% = 1368----------170.00--------------------- 50.00 6----------------------- 6

Hill sup $1389 + 16% = 1611--------------------------------------- -291 4-------------------------4
Key std $1499 + 16% = 1739--------------------------------------- - 419 8------------------------8
Key sup $1709 + 16% = 1982---------------------------------------- -668 31----------------------31

ScubaBoard price is 1490 Tax Included for all categories ROH (run of house)

This does not include the event T-shirt, private parties and prizes sponsors donate. Last year we gave away over 10K in prizes.

I am not going to get in to a Cocoview vs Anthony key debate. I can tell I looked at Cocoview and they did not have enough rooms or boats to handle this event. Please do the numbers as you say and I am sure you see your error. Also I never post SMOKING HOT in the package deal anywhere.
I would encourage everyone to remember this is an EVENT not just a bunch of divers showing up.

That was a bit OT, but I like it when divers show up to Roatan.

The original topic was Cocoview, but since the final "SB invasion" pricing at AKR just got posted today, I'm not seeing the "smoking hot" part of it. CCV is anywhere from $50-$80 cheaper.

Each resort has its fans, and the SB Invasion should be great fun, but it's really not much of a deal, smoking hot or otherwise... it's more than standard rates for the bulk of their rooms, plus they have continuously offered 2 for 1 deals.

7-NIGHTS
HILL STANDARD $1,179
HILL SUPERIOR $1,389
KEY STANDARD $1,499
KEY SUPERIOR $1,709

That's why I waited until I heard the pricing structure before I joined in this OT twist to the original line.

I know this will likely be viewed as an unpopular statement, but the numbers are the numbers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom