The solo diving movement, a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, starting to question my spare air purchase. Are they really that bad?

If you're in a situation where you need some backup gas, it's better than nothing. But they're not very efficient bang-for-the-buck-wise. They go for, what, about $250? - and give you 3 cuft of air. When I started soloing I put together a 13 cuft pony for the same price: new bottle, valve, and button SPG from Leisure Pro, stage strap from Dive Gear Express, used reg (1st stage, 2nd stage, hose) on eBay. Oh, and I had to have a D-ring added to my BC shoulder strap (mid-'90s BC, a little lacking in robust attachment points). Same price, more than 4x the gas. My pony is more cumbersome than a Spare Air, true, but that was a trade-off I was more than willing to make.

In my head, ALL my dives are solo dives. Though most of my dives are with a DM and a group of (usually) three to six divers, I have made quite a few dives with insta-buddies, some competent and others not. I am continually checking my air, depth, time, etc so's I don't get myself in a bad situation. As far as the insta-buddy, he or she is on their own, hopefully able to get out of a bad situation without my help other than giving them my bail-out bottle. No sense in two of us drowning.

Hopefully you're telling your dive buddies how you feel. As long as they're cool with it, I don't see a problem. If, on the other hand, you're keeping that attitude "in your head", then that's pretty irresponsible ... since it sets an expectation you have no intention of meeting.

Maybe you should just be honest enough to say "no thanks" to a dive buddy, and dive solo not just in your head, but in reality.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Phew...this has been a lot of reading to catch up on! Anyway, I just thought I would share some of my experiences and hopefully it benefits someone...

On my first open water dive after I was certified I was teamed up with a guy I had just met (new diver just like me). We submerged and he immediately took off like a rocket, not to be seen again until we surfaced...my first solo dive! On subsequent dives I made sure to make every effort to stay right next to my assigned buddies. It seemed the dives were totally controlled by my buddies, they would wander around looking at/doing whatever without any cares and I would follow them around like a puppy. Over time I did find a few good buddies that I enjoyed diving with but it didn't take long before I started diving solo on a routine basis.

The area where I grew up (western MA) doesn't have many exciting places to dive. Quite a few lakes and ponds with depths typically ranging 20-25 feet deep. I started doing odd jobs underwater (pulling weeds, recovering items, cleaning boats, etc.) just to get dives in and have something to do, a mission. Plus it payed for my gear and maintenance. Although I did dive with other people at times, they would typically be working far away from me and we'd be mucking up the vis so pretty much every dive I did was solo. Over a couple years I logged hundreds of dives like that. It got me comfortable being by myself while diving, comfortable with my equipment and used to low vis and cold water conditions. At such shallow depths and in open water I wasn't worried about surfacing in an emergency (and I did run OOA on several occasions when I was too busy working to check my gauge).

I wouldn't consider it a 'solo diving movement', just an option. There's nothing wrong with diving solo as long as you do not perform dives beyond your limitations and comfort levels. There isn't a magic number of dives that qualifies you. Training will enhance your knowledge and abilities but having a solo certification doesn't necessarily make you qualified either. Going for a personal depth record, diving at a site with potential hazards, or in conditions you haven't been in before are not times you should be solo diving. There are dive's I would never consider doing by myself, not that I would ever be relying on a buddy to save me. The risk factors for some dives are greater than others, the possibility of a buddy being in the right place at the right time would be beneficial and may help eliminate minor issues from becoming major problems.

Use your head and dive as safe as possible! Solo or not...

Fortunately I had experienced minor vertigo in the past and read about someones major vertigo experience so I had a plan in place when it began. Without that I might have either allowed the vertigo to increase at depth to the point of incapacitation or bolted to the surface too fast.

I haven't yet experienced disabling vertigo, so I'd be interested in hearing your plan.

Maybe you should just be honest enough to say "no thanks" to a dive buddy, and dive solo not just in your head, but in reality.

I suspect this sort of thing is done to work around charter boat op.s that don't allow solo diving.

Richard.

Well Put NW I was talking with another diver in a parking lot after diving and he was checking out my 19 pony, he then made the comment that his spare air was good enough for recreational depth.He stated that he could get 50 breaths from his spare air setup because he had done so sitting in his living room.My response was at 100 feet divide that number by 4.His facial expression changed very quickly.12.5 breaths to do any type of safe ascent from 100 feet is VERY sketchy for most divers.Free divers I am not talking about you!!!!My lds doesn't even carry them.I have seen more than one on the work bench for something other than routine maintenance.I think they might have their place on shallow dives but..................

I haven't yet experienced disabling vertigo, so I'd be interested in hearing your plan.

Sorry, missed this. I'll respond tonight

I agree with dshorwich - mostly. I think it's insane to have two 2nd stages off a pony. Also, the standard valve and 1st stage are way too bulky and make the pony clumsy. I put together a very streamlined unit for about $185 to $225 with all new components. Check out Goodrum International for these:

H2Odyssey valve/1st stage ($71.76):
Piston First Stage - RG2V - Marine Scuba Gear Air Systems - Goodrum International

fill adapters:
station ($34.50) Station Filler - EAS1-4 - Marine Scuba Gear Air Systems - Goodrum International

yoke ($40.25) Yoke Filler - EAS1-3 - Marine Scuba Gear Air Systems - Goodrum International

spg ($13.80):
Deluxe Pony Gauge - GPD - Marine Scuba Gear Guages - Goodrum International

I got both fill adapters but I almost never use the tank-to-tank yoke filler.

I got a 13cf Catalina from LeisurePro ($100 and sold the valve for $35 = $65 net):
Catalina Pony Bottle Tanks, Yellow with Pro Valve | LeisurePro
Note: if you want a 19cf pony it's only $20 more.

I made my own sling (someone here posted great instructions in the DIY forum) and used the octo from my main reg (now unnecessary and a snag point).

Total: $185.06 without the yoke fill adapter and $225.31 with it.

I agree with dshorwich - mostly. I think it's insane to have two 2nd stages off a pony. Also, the standard valve and 1st stage are way too bulky and make the pony clumsy. I put together a very streamlined unit for about $185 to $225 with all new components.

[some content snipped]

I made my own sling (someone here posted great instructions in the DIY forum) and used the octo from my main reg (now unnecessary and a snag point).

Total: $185.06 without the yoke fill adapter and $225.31 with it.

I agree that two 2nd stages are unnecessary on a pony that's intended as backup for a solo diver - I have just one. As for the sling, DIY is not my forte, so I decided to take the path of least resistance and just buy one. Although, ironically enough, the "extra small" was still a little oversized for a 13 (probably just right for a 19) and I ended up having to cut it down to size a bit.

I've experienced disabling vertigo just once. Fortunately it was on a dive when I had not just one, but two excellent dive buddies ... both former ScubaBoard members (Uncle Pug and OE2X). What I experienced was severe dizziness, to the point where I really couldn't tell up from down. It was bad to the point where I had to either just close my eyes or throw up due to seasickness ... the nausea was almost overwhelming. Fortunately I was near enough to structure to be able to reach out and grab ahold of something stationary with my right hand while giving an emergency signal with the light in my left hand. I felt, but did not see, my dive buddies next to me. I gave the "loopy" signal and tossed a thumb toward the surface. Next thing I knew we were heading up ... one of them on each side of me with a hand on my forearm. At the surface the feeling passed.

I have no idea what caused it, and haven't experienced anything like that since. What I suspect was that it was the first dive on a new neck seal on my drysuit ... and the seal was too tight, restricting blood flow to what passes for a brain in my noggin ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom