Advanced Open Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive log shows Dive #32 as my AOW checkout dive (Hudson Grotto and Hospital Hole), about 7mo after OW.
Those are the only two places I've ever seen with a halocline and thermocline and hydrogen sulfide layer all in the same dives.

I would agree with most that say do it now. I completed my advanced in July with over forty dives. My wife and I did the book review at home and the dives in the Cayman's. We were doing our diving in Key Largo with Rainbow Reef after our OW. We learned more about diving by doing 30+ dives with them, due to all their dives are guided with DM or instructors who were there to answer questions and wanted to help you be a better diver. They were their to help guide you around thee reef, but not to be a safety blanket. By the time we did the advanced dives, we were both already very comfortable in the water. because of that, we did not get a lot of time from the instructors, they mostly just observed us. For us, it was just having fun doing the different dives. The best part of the experience was that we felt comfortable enough to do shore diving on our own, and it was the best diving of the trip, because we were on our own to see what we wanted to see on the reef, not see how fast you can swim over the reef to cover the most area before having to turn back. My wife and I are the " lazy" divers, more interested in the little things hiding in the coral than how far or deep you go. The two days of shore diving on turtle reef was enough for me to want to go back to the Cayman's, for the fourth time.
I don't think I was ready for AOW at the same time I did OW, but at dive 40, I was more than ready and really wished the class was a lot more than what we actually got. Oh we'll, got the card I needed to dive the deeper wrecks in FLA, now on to Nitrox and rescue.

I would say you def got enough dives under your belt though I would ask you this, how do you feel about your buoyancy. If you have that mastered then I think that you will enjoy AOW much more and you will get more out of it and future certs. I find that is one thing many OW students lack and they rush into other certs where the lack of buoyancy skills continue.

It's not the calendar, but number of dives since certification that is most important in taking AOW at a time when you will get the most out of it. I think you are at a good time to do it now, or any time in the future. There is no time like the present. Congratulations on your new but very active diving life.
DivemasterDennis

You'll need it for Rescue later on (say about 50 dives?), at least in PADI.
Please stop saying this. AOW is NOT a prerequisite for PADI Rescue. It hasn't been for at least 3 1/2years (since I've been certified).

To the OP: I have 31 dives right now. 4 or 5 are night dives, 3 are Nitrox, 2 are wrecks (not penetration), 8 are shore entries with 4 of those being surf entries. I have about a dozen or so cold water dives in low viz. About 6 of my dives took me to depths between 65 and 95 feet, so far.

I haven't taken AOW. If you are comfortable with your skills progression, keep diving. If you want AOW for a particular reason (deeper dives) or PPB or something, then go for it. If you just want the comfort of an instructor to point out things you can work on and help you with them, find a good instructor and do some focused "classes" that don't earn you the card.

Take rescue once you feel your skills and fitness are to a level you can handle some sustained effort while diving.

I am trying to coordinate with some folks to take Jim Lapenta's "Advanced Diver 2" course, which will be somewhat more tailored to my needs as a diver and more rigorous than most of the "standard" AOW courses.

Please stop saying this. AOW is NOT a prerequisite for PADI Rescue. It hasn't been for at least 3 1/2years (since I've been certified).
Rescue Diver Primary and Secondary Care Courses - PADI Scuba Diving Training Organization

technically I guess you are right. You need to be an "Adventure diver"...which I guess means you have competed a few less specialties than AOW. But the difference is so minor I wouldn't try to correct anyone who said AOW was a pre-req.

You can also forget PADI and find an instructor for an agency that doesn't make you do a deep or Nav dive for rescue. Being that AOW gives you access to dives that may present more danger and have a higher overall risk level, making someone pay for a couple dives that don't really do much is stupid. I find that people who do rescue first are more likely to take AOW and be more comfortable doing it. And some people don't want to do deep.dives at all. Denying them rescue is IMO dangerous and again, stupid.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I just got my open water about a month ago... and i have logged about 30 dives.
I am wondering how long did you wait to do your advance open water course.
I want to take the class to learn a few more aspects of diving(deep,wreck,ect...)
and to become more comfortable in the water. I just wondering if im going to fast.Any input would be great.
Thanks...

Where are you logging all your dives at?

I agree that doing Rescue before (finishing) AOW--or with a different agency not requiring the deep dive probably makes sense. I don't know about making sure you are ready fitness wise--I'm in pretty good shape for my age (Dr. says so), did nothing extra to prepare, and found Rescue to be far more challenging mentally than physically. But I'm sure it varies with instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom