off shore report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpirate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well fall is here and as long as the wind is not blowing the diving is usually magical. We aet out Saturday at O-dark thirty for a set of UK numbers 41 miles out. It was sloppy on the way out but by the time we got out 15 miles it had become lake atlantic with only gentle 2 foot swells on a long interval.

We found a good return from the bottom finder at the numbers and began gearing up. Just before I splashed, I noticed that I could see the travel line??? Are we in the Carolina's? visibility up top was easily 75 feet. The snot layer presented itself at around 95to 105fsw and when I emerged out of it, I could plainly see the debris and the bottom at 141fsw. The vis on the bottom was again easily 50 plus.

The prominent feature on this thing was a pipe about 24 inches in diameter that ran on a angle about 45 feet the length of the structure. That made the tie up a breeze as I retrieved the hook from the bottom and looped the safety chain around the pipe.

The jury is still out on whether this is a debris pile or a wreck, but a magical day of diving it was. I did a run time of 95 and my fun-o-meter was definately pegged.

God I love the fall when the wind does not blow.
Eric

Eric those days here in the Mid Atl are magical. This is the first year that I have not dove my home waters since my favorite boat went south to Florida along with it's owner. I really do miss the diving off VB.

Keep the reports coming.

Randy,
I send my heartfelt condolances on the departure of your favorite ride. I am on every weekend this month and will keep diving until Capt. Ted pulls the boat for the winter. Next weekend is the Northern Pacific, and the weekend after that I am planning my first large brass recovery. If nothing else my first salvage job should be entertaing to those watching. Do you know how long you need to boil a 100# chunk of brass before it is tender enough to eat?
Eric

Randy,

I'll be back for late spring diving. Planning on heading out the week after next. Trouble is I'm having difficulty getting used to shorter boat rides, thinner wet suits, and better visibility.

Back in Feb before I left I found another wreck site over near Eureka sidescanning. It's like 140fsw. I'll be looking for a overnight trip to Eureka and this other site when i return. I know, you're "all in".

Will

Randy,

I'll be back for late spring diving. Planning on heading out the week after next. Trouble is I'm having difficulty getting used to shorter boat rides, thinner wet suits, and better visibility.

Back in Feb before I left I found another wreck site over near Eureka sidescanning. It's like 140fsw. I'll be looking for a overnight trip to Eureka and this other site when i return. I know, you're "all in".

Will
Maybe the Chenango out near the Eureka - depth sounds about right....
Just went to the Eureka - a bone chilling 48F in September!!
Duncan.

Nope, it's N of Eureka. Depth of 140fsw I believe is about right, could be a little deeper maybe 155fsw. I would need to check my boat log for details. It was LOADED with big Black Sea Bass when we fished it. Caught a number of citation BSB and a couple of citation Bluefish. Lots of fish on this wreck and good relief.

Last edited:
In like Flynn!:wink:

I am not complaining, we have been diving the **** out of NC this season Will. I feel ya on the thin wet suits and good vis. Were headed back to MHC in 10 days with a N Florida Cavern class shceduled the first of Nov. and possibly a run down to BHB and LBTS for a couple days of beach diving.

I am not complaining, we have been diving the **** out of NC this season Will. I feel ya on the thin wet suits and good vis. Were headed back to MHC in 10 days with a N Florida Cavern class shceduled the first of Nov. and possibly a run down to BHB and LBTS for a couple days of beach diving.

This was a picture I took from Freedom a couple years back. Lake Atlantic!

135226030.jpg

This was a picture I took from Freedom a couple years back. Lake Atlantic!

Randy,

When it's flat like that it's full throttle and 44knots! Makes for a very quick trip out and back. I much prefer the deeper wrecks, like Eureka, Chenango, Mexicano, etc. Generally better visibility, less visitors, and more fish/bugs. Besides, during a long surface interval we can always drive east 10nm to the 100 fathom curve and do a bit of deep drop fishing.

Will we have been trying to hit a UK number near the Eureka in about 145 also, but we were planning on hitting it after we hit an UK in about 250.
Of course all those 5 to date have been blown out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom