Viking Rubber Drysuits, good for recreational diving too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loganhand

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking into buying a viking rubber drysuit, because i am considering working in a bay harbor with biological hazards, but that would be in a couple years. I want it to be suitable with contaminated water diving with a ffm, while remaining good for recreational purposes.

So while going the contaminated water route, (A.K.A.: dryhood, dry gloves, etc.) is it still comfortable to use for recreational purposes? I live in Maryland, so all the dives in the the frigid Atlantic and quarry's would be enhanced by a nice drysuit.

Thank you

In short NO! I hate diving in the things. In my opinion they are only good for what they are intended for and that is hazmat dives, then they are really good. They clean well and provide very good protection but they will not be comfortable or easy to dive.

In short NO! I hate diving in the things. In my opinion they are only good for what they are intended for and that is hazmat dives, then they are really good. They clean well and provide very good protection but they will not be comfortable or easy to dive.

what's so painful about diving with them?

My newest Viking is the recreational Pro-Seal. My back-up is my son's old Viking. My son's first Viking is now my wife's suit. I like being able to match the underwear layering to the dive - summer, or under the ice. The suit has no buoyancy change - compensate for squeeze and you are neutral. I don't understand why you would dive neoprene, crushed neoprene, or nylon. You do need to choose between the latex neck seal or the neoprene neck seal - for cold water I would recommend you try the neoprene neck seal.

I'm also going with a no. We use them only for hazmat diving (which they are awesome for) and the vulcanized rubber is really uncomfortable.

I am quite comfortable in mine. I've been diving vulcanized suits for years. My backup suit is a crushed neoprene that I hate. My Viking doesn't restrict me at all, dries instantly, and can have field repairs done very quickly. The 3 best repair technicians are Manny, Moe and Jack.

What size are you looking for? We regularly get some used ones from Fire/Police Depts. that are upgrading. Some of those would be perfect for taking that beating in the harbor and be a fraction of a cost of a new one.

I am a commercial diver who dives in and around Baltimore regularly. I've dove just about every type of drysuit made, especially the heavy duty ones. My suggestion to you; get a suit for work and a suit for pleasure, you shouldn't mix business gear with pleasure gear.

If you insist on getting a suit suitable for both recreation and work in "mild" contamination using a FFM then for protection and easy decontamination it should be made of vulcanized rubber, have latex drygloves (with wrist seals also), and a latex hood (with neck seal also). The 1500/1600 HD suits are most durable and chemical resistant but offer no stretch, are heavy, and are generally oversized so that movement is not constricted resulting in reduced swimming efficiency (drag). The best suit I've used that would meet your criteria is a Gates Pro-am 1050. It's more flexible so you don't have to get it as oversized, lighter weight for travel, chemical resistant and still durable under 'moderate' punishment. Gates was bought out by Viking who now sells that same suit.

Ask 3D diver. He is very comfortable in his and has used it for many years.

Indeed, I've been diving Viking drysuits since '89. I've never tried a different suit, though, so can't really offer a comparison. They are tough, and can be easily patched if a pinhole develops. I've gone through several sets of seals and a few zippers over the years. I use the simple latex hood and wrist seals---for commercial/hasmat diving you'll likely need something more.

The Viking pro 1000 is about the same cost as other high-end drysuits, you just have to find someone who will sell one to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom