Procedure for inflating the dSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unroll, clear line, and then I either inflate orally or with alternate air source. No need to pack it full. Air expands, remember as you go to shallower depths. I also have my buddy in contact to be certain I maintain my neutral buoyancy while inflating and deploying. Practicing this skill is important to doing it quickly, which is what minimizes the impact on the deployer's buoyancy.
DivemasterDennis

Here is how I do it:

• Buddy get's their z-knife ready (out and in hand) and pays close attention to what I am doing.
  • Be sure that I am neutral
  • Unfurl Sausage
  • Unclip double ender from reel.
  • Clip double ender to BCD (tug to be sure)
  • Attach line to sausage
  • Unclip inflator hose, hold in left hand
  • Holding reel and sausage valve in right hand, I push the valve into the inflator for three-four seconds.
  • I let it fly, keeping out of the way.
  • Take off double ender and double twist on line and clip to reel.

Last edited:
Also, I have found it is much easier to deploy at 10m before ascending to the safety stop rather than waiting until 3-6 meters. Managing your buoyancy is much easier, making the execution of all the good advice listed above that much easier, and the DSMB tends to reach the surface with a greater amount of air (less chance it is floppy, falls over and no one sees it). Plus, like the OP mentioned, it makes allows you to focus on doing your safety stop right, providing a great reference. Just don't let it become a crutch for holding good buoyancy at the 3-6m mark, a key area for practicing control.

what I do

1. start neutrally buoyant
2. attach spool to smb
3. unroll smb, but not spool
4. hold spool and smb valve in left hand
5. take a half breath (lungs roughly half full)
6. remove reg and hold in right hand
7. exhale completely into smb valve
8. replace reg in mouth, but continue to hold breath
8. take one final look up to be sure its all clear
9. let it go, then start breathing again

the advantage to this is that neutral buoyancy is maintained at all points, and no need to disconnect any hoses. The same could be achieved by venting the BC into the smb, but after the smb is let go, the BC would required adjusting.

All of the above works for me. I generally use my spare second stage to inflate mine. I'm fast so don't have buoyancy issues generally.

If the conditions are a bit dramatic - current etc, I have been known to drop a reef hook while I do the deployment.

I have a hand reel rather than finger reel which physically latches into free wheel - it also has a spare hand grip on a short line - the reason being (and it's happened a few times) my buddy can hold on to it too while ascending in a current so we stay together, similarly at the surface, if there is a current we can both stay together easily.

I do what my trimix teacher taught me to do: oral inflation but w/o removing the reg. I was taught not remove my reg unnecessarily (because it's always a risk and it's a completely unnessary risk). I use the exhaust from my reg to inflate the SMB: turn your head so one end of the exhaust is up and the other is down, hold the SBM open over the "up" exhaust, cover the down exhaust w/ one finger if you wish, breathe deep and fill 'er up. It work great after a little practise, even in dry gloves.

I won't use my octo or reg because that's a freeflow risk in cold water. Another completely unnessary risk.

I bought one of these and put it on my BCD inflation hose. Now the hose easy to remove and put back on.

So I get neutrally buoyant, pull out my SMB, disconnect my hose, puff some air in it to get it under control, dump my bcd bladder, then fill the smb adequately depending on depth, let it go holding the reel release button until it surfaces, then I reattach my bcd inflation hose, and then start reeling in. At the surface, I inflate my bcd and add any additional air to the SMB, if needed, and wait for the boat.

View attachment 165117
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=45
Thanks for showing that! I think I'll get one for the BC and one for the drysuit. I've never noticed them before.

Dump your BC/wing into the dSMB. You just moved gas without altering your net buoyancy. -gives you time to dress the line before letting it go. Replace the gas in your BC/wing as needed to maintain your buoyancy when you release the bag, or just stay negative and add friction to the line as the gas in the bag expands. Depends on how deep you released it.

I do what my trimix teacher taught me to do: oral inflation but w/o removing the reg. I was taught not remove my reg unnecessarily (because it's always a risk and it's a completely unnessary risk). I use the exhaust from my reg to inflate the SMB: turn your head so one end of the exhaust is up and the other is down, hold the SBM open over the "up" exhaust, cover the down exhaust w/ one finger if you wish, breathe deep and fill 'er up. It work great after a little practise, even in dry gloves.

I won't use my octo or reg because that's a freeflow risk in cold water. Another completely unnessary risk.

this is what i do, even though i dont have the same freeflow risk, its the simplest, and there is nothing for me to do after the deployment but to go up (no changing regs/re-clipping octo, no interfering with bc etc)...

Dump your BC/wing into the dSMB. You just moved gas without altering your net buoyancy. -gives you time to dress the line before letting it go. Replace the gas in your BC/wing as needed to maintain your buoyancy when you release the bag, or just stay negative and add friction to the line as the gas in the bag expands. Depends on how deep you released it.

sadly this does not work for all, especially divers that have little or no air in their wing @ depth (like me), this may have been my go-to method if it was feasible for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom