Procedure for inflating the dSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
I've taken to deploying my dSMB on practically every dive. Firstly, my wife likes to look for the large orange dSMB rather than couple of small black heads when she's tending the boat while we're underwater. Secondly, slowly ascending from the safety stop as I'm laying the line back on the spool helps me to ascend the last two-three meters really slowly (my Suunto has finally quit nagging me about a too fast final ascent now). And thirdly, I think that being able to easily deploy a dSMB is a nice skill to have if the fertilizer should start making contact with the air conditioning.

However, I'm still not certain about the best way to inflate it. My current procedure is to squirt a small volume of air into the dSMB from my BCD inflator, allow the dSMB to unroll and stretch out, and then fill it from my octo until it more or less starts the ascent whether I allow it or not.

What method are you guys using when you're shooting your dSMB?

--
Sent from my mobile
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Roll it out as much as possible before I put any water in it, give it little squirt of air just so that it "stand up", make sure lines is clear and running free and then give it the final puff of air and let it go to the surface and attract approxmately 4 dinghies and 3 dayboats while I do my safety stop. Then board whichever one looks like it has the best lunch :p

You can search in youtube "SMB deploy" and you will find many videos that teach how to deploy a SMB.

I bought one of these and put it on my BCD inflation hose. Now the hose easy to remove and put back on.

So I get neutrally buoyant, pull out my SMB, disconnect my hose, puff some air in it to get it under control, dump my bcd bladder, then fill the smb adequately depending on depth, let it go holding the reel release button until it surfaces, then I reattach my bcd inflation hose, and then start reeling in. At the surface, I inflate my bcd and add any additional air to the SMB, if needed, and wait for the boat.

60003_IMAGE_MEDIUM.jpg
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=45

I give the sausage a good shake to unroll it, hand the spool to my buddy and use my 2nd stage to inflate it. Poof and off it goes.

Really good video.

I have a question about why the diver clipped the double ender to the line, wrapped the line on the spool three times and then clipped the double ender to the spool. Would that not make winding the line during ascent difficult?

The double ender is unclipped during winding to the surface...

He pulls the light taut and clips it so it won't unravel etc while doing a stop

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

Man! I want to be tech diver and wear a BP/W!

Reactions: dfx
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom