$1500-$2000 how should I upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orenbvip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So i am planning a month long dive trip and want to upgrade from my Epl-1 setup (which i am selling)

If I was to spend $1500-2000 what would be the best upgrade/bang for the buck. I do still have 2 ys-01 strobes and the arms. I do like to shoot macro.

Would I be best to get the E-PM1 bundle ($500) + 60mm Macro lens ($500) and maybe a dome port ($500) plus the 9-18mm lens

Or would I be better off with the more expensive OM-D with the 12-50mm lens + housing

Or is the an even better combination like E-PL5 + Marco lens?

Of course you will get better photo quality with OM-D or E-PL5, and you can slowly upgrade your equipment since you only have a limited budget. If you are a beginner, I recommend you to get the E-PM1 set, but I heard some of the dealers have already ended this promotion. Do it quick if you still want to get one!

Btw, I asked Scott to ship the E-PM1 set to Hong Kong and I set it up with dual YS-02 and a iTorch Pro6. Everything include the arms and tray is just around US$1359. I also bought the Olympus 60mm marco for US$333 and am planning to get the 9-18mm wide lens with the dome port. Not sure why equipments in US is so expensive, we can get them here for at least 25% off.

Good luck shopping :wink:

I will be diving in Asia. Do you have a link where I can find the gear for cheaper? Might even order a lens and have it shipped.

Thanks.

I don't know if I am a complete beginner but here are some shots I managed with the epl1
6aqyje4y.jpg
ja9anyzy.jpg
u8y7ypys.jpg
3u6ydame.jpg

What kind of strobes are u using? A second strobe might bring a bigger bang. And yes, the E-PL5 is cool. Oly and 10bar has reasonably priced housings.

I have two ys-01s

---------- Post added September 5th, 2013 at 02:36 PM ----------

So I think I am going : EPL5 +Oly Housing + 60mm macro. (MAYBE dome port and 8mm fisheye lense)

You don't look like a beginner, orenbvip =D !!
I buy equipment from stores and I usually shop around to check for the best deal. I heard from my buddies, Hong Kong has the cheapest equipment over the world (i guess depends on the brand, we fly over to Japan to get INONs). and some people DIY nice equipment for sale. If you get a chance to come to Hong Kong, go to Mong Kok and you will find a lot of photography equipments with good deal!

I'm curious - is the E-PM1 really a worthwhile upgrade over the E-PL1? It came out a year later, I believe, but both cameras are now a couple years old. I would have thought that the OP would be better off either adding lenses/ports to his current E-PL1 or upgrading all the way to one of the current models, like the OM-D.

James

That is what I am thinking by going to e-pl5 . the OM-D is pretty much the same thing with better video.

Hi Orenbvip - I have just finished upgrading from an E-520 to an OMD and without selling any of my old stuff I have bought an OM-D Em5 with a 12-50mm lens and an Olympus housing with standard port for 12-50 for a total of about $US2,000. I would have liked to have bought a Nauticam but I am not prepared to pay an additional $1,600 for the extra ability that it brings.

I am very happy with my purchases and looking forward to getting it wet in the next 5-6 weeks.

I already own flashes, arms and base plate.

I'll sell the E-520 and the housing on ebay to recoup some of the outlay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom