What's so great about SOLA lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only serious issue with them is the corrosion that occurs in the charging ports wit regular use (at least in salt water). I have to frequently use vinegar and/or fine steel wool to remove the corrosion so they charge fully after use.
Try a camera dust blower like this;
$T2eC16FHJG!FFm1kJmRJBRzuZeLK3g~~60_3.JPG

It gets the water out of the contacts before you plug in the charger. I had the same problem with my first Sola, but haven't had any issues since I began blowing the water out first.

Yes, I imagine paying people off for good reviews goes far with the uninformed.

I'm a little offended at that comment.

Not only are the lights worthy of a good review, even if there are lights that maximize other attributes, I've given them a good review (and included some reasons why I don't think the lights are always best) and consistently recommend the light to people who ask, and I've never gotten a cent! Guess I'm not a good enough photographer? Who knows :(

In every industry there are companies who bring a different value proposition and represent a different utility to a customer, it's something to enjoy, not complain about.

My take on the lights is great quality, great support, great interest in supporting diving. Low burn times require using the lights at lower than full power and beam angles chosen seem great for photo and video, but not necessarily best for long punch. They are innovative and light weight and are hard to break, and if you buy them used they are usually a very reasonable price. Wouldn't trade my Sola 800 photo for any other light on the market!

I'm a little offended at that comment.

I didn't mean to offend you. I had no idea that you had written a review. I'm talking about paid reviews in general for all sorts of products and many exist out there. Personally in the industry that I'm well known I've been offered money to write good reviews about products and I've received rants from companies that were upset that I wrote a good review for another company.

I use a Sola 1200 with the Gopro in the lakes in Texas and in blue water. They work great and the charge lasts for more than one dive. Never had an issue with them.

I like our twin 1200's. just wish I got the 4000's... And a camcorder vs the GoPro2 and.. Well you get the idea. Love the Sola, this thread could only get better if Hog made lights. Lol. Get A HOG Light wa wa wa.... Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do we really need the HOG bashing in threads with no relevance of HOG gear??

Good thread timing as I have their brochures in front of me. So what $40 equivalent lights are you referring to? I want a light that doubles as a hero 3 video light and a night dive light. At $40 I'd buy two if they were actually functionally equivalent!

I never said they were equivalent. I said the $40 light was better suited for what was needed in Lake Travis not that it was suited as a video light. That said, the light is:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/419285-trustfire-tr-j1-review.html

I didn't mean to offend you. I had no idea that you had written a review. I'm talking about paid reviews in general for all sorts of products and many exist out there. Personally in the industry that I'm well known I've been offered money to write good reviews about products and I've received rants from companies that were upset that I wrote a good review for another company.

Well, it was just a post on here, and I'm not actually offended, but I do wish I was in that echelon of photographers who were sought after for reviews and such. I tried to spend some time talking with Light and Motion employees with the idea of eventually asking if they'd send me one of their demo tech lights to dive with for a month and then send it back and write a review. I could do a good job of providing them with some more tech pics for advertising, but they were way too busy supporting a professional photo event and I never saw a good chance to bring it up.

Well, it was just a post on here, and I'm not actually offended, but I do wish I was in that echelon of photographers who were sought after for reviews and such. I tried to spend some time talking with Light and Motion employees with the idea of eventually asking if they'd send me one of their demo tech lights to dive with for a month and then send it back and write a review. I could do a good job of providing them with some more tech pics for advertising, but they were way too busy supporting a professional photo event and I never saw a good chance to bring it up.

Well, that's good. I'm always getting accused of being uncivil but this would have been a new feat for me to insult someone not even in the thread and not mentioning their name or their work. :O

I get comp'd about $20K a year in software. I always make it very clear that my professional opinion is not for sale. My real money comes from solving customer problems not by pitching products.

As far as scuba goes, I have no desires to be anything other then just a well rounded and safe recreational diver.

I don't doubt the Sola are good lights and it's great they have many happy owners.

It's also great that we now have many affordable options for underwater lighting. It wasn't too long ago that our choices were severely limited and Light & Motion was one of the few choices. I think lack of competition was one of the reasons their lights were so expensive.

The marketing of more and more powerful lights as the best/only solution is starting to get a little silly. I've read about some people spending $3,200 for a pair of Sola 4000's to use with their $300 GoPro.

Things are starting to get a little hyped and hopefully people are not buying for brand or status. I would rather people be impressed with my pictures/videos than by my camera/lights.

Last edited:
I am just wondering why someone would buy a 1200 light for $700.00 and then run it on a lower setting than to not just buy the 500 light for $280.00? The burn time is longer and if you were to buy two of the 1200 for $1400.00 you could have gotten 5 of the 500's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom