EPM1 not firing strobe on white subjects in water column

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1/64 from my E-PL2 wouldn't trigger my YS-02, but 1/16 did. Might try that. Also, does your strobe have a pre-flash setting? If so, make sure you have it set to not look for a pre-flash.

I set it at 1/8 for my E-PM1 and dual YS-02.
They didnt work when I put it at full, so try different settings!

It's not the strobe power you need to set so much, but the strobe control. You want neither auto or fill-in. You want to set it to the spark symbol which forces the strobe to trigger with each image taken.

Here's how I finally worked it out, thanks to Cathy Church. Set the camera to manual; set the ISO to a lower setting 50-200 (your camera may vary, but the E-PM1's lowest is 200); set the aperture to a mid level setting like ƒ5.6-ƒ11.0; set the speed to obtain the most pleasing background color saturation; use the strobe settings to expose your subject. ISO and aperture can be varied to suit darker or lighter subjects which exceed the strobe controls. Finally, I record images with RAW+fine jpeg file.

gert, I do that as well mostly. ISO lowest is 200. In manual, aperture is f8, shutter varies but around 1/125. I dont record in both raw and jpeg, just raw. Strobe control set at lightning bolt. You are saying strobe power adjustment might be the answer here? Because, if the subject is white and in the dark water column, the flash will not fire. But that little white transparent jelly, with a rock or bottom as background, the flash will fire.

One upcoming reason I want to solve this is I will be in Kona Hawaii this winter, and plan on the blackwater dive. Many of the photo ops on that dive are the translucent jellies and other creatures that come up from the deep.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom