New fins...need thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, so I'm thinking about replacing my old split fins and going back to the paddle style.

Here is what I'm looking for..'

1) BRIGHT..my old ones are bright yellow and I find it helps my newly met dive buddies on liveaboards recognize me quickly
2) Maneuverability...not as interested in speed and power, more interested in a fairly short fin that allows me to work in close
3) Positive buoyancy...I know most look for neutral, I prefer positive as it keeps my feet up and head down a bit
4) Light weight wouldn't be bad either

Any help is greatly appreciated as always =)

APS Mantarays tic all boxes. They are positively buoyant, small and lightweight, can fit in carry on luggage. I own a pair of black ones, but did see a pair of yellow ones on eBay one time. I also had a pair of FF pros in black. Sweet fin but not positively buoyant. If you use a comfort instept insert it will make them neutral. You can sometimes find a used pair on eBay at decent prices, otherwise new ones are very expensive. My new favorite fin is the Aeris Accel, although they only come in black or gray, you can get bright colored straps and insert. They are also neutrally buoyant. All three fins are excellent travel fins. They Mantarays and Force Fins have unique shapes that are easily recognizable regrardless of color.

Cheers
Jon

APS Mantarays tic all boxes. They are positively buoyant, small and lightweight, can fit in carry on luggage. I own a pair of black ones, but did see a pair of yellow ones on eBay one time. I also had a pair of FF pros in black. Sweet fin but not positively buoyant. If you use a comfort instept insert it will make them neutral. You can sometimes find a used pair on eBay at decent prices, otherwise new ones are very expensive. My new favorite fin is the Aeris Accel, although they only come in black or gray, you can get bright colored straps and insert. They are also neutrally buoyant. All three fins are excellent travel fins. They Mantarays and Force Fins have unique shapes that are easily recognizable regrardless of color.

Cheers
Jon

Guess you'd need to buy second hand if you're looking at the Mantarays given they are not currently in production. Hollis did a deal with them of some sort out of which was born the F2s.

Great, lighter than the F2s hopefully the performance matches or is better. Ill order some today. Cheers for the info/input.

You bet! I'll be interested to hear your feedback/comparison between F2 and Accel.

I have the Avanti Quattro but find they are too heavy. I end up with sores on the tops of my feet everytime I use them. (Yes I wear boots :) )
I bought them online as I have no dive shops near me and am now looking for a lighter, shorter travel fin instead. Expensive mistake. :/

I'm going to try a pair of Aquabionic fins, definitely comes in bright colors!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom